Another phony threat

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Another phony threat

The war on terrorism is more like the war on drugs, or even the war on poverty. It is a public relations campaign. We are to be persuaded there is a threat, get worked up about a war against a noun, in this case, an abstract noun.

>by Duncan Cameron
February 28, 2007
The war on terror is a phony war; there is no terrorist threat to go to war against. Washington, and its Canadian friends would have you believe the war on terrorism is legitimate: it is no such thing. It is a rationale to do things that would otherwise be considered illegitimate, such as invade other countries — Afghanistan and Iraq — creating fear and anxiety around the world.
The terrorist threat is the successor to the Communist threat. That was equally phony, but more plausible since there were Communist states, all with armies on parade, and some with nuclear weapons.
There was a worldwide struggle with the “reds,” but never a war on Communism, in the sense we are supposed to believe there is a war on terrorism. But there were wars with Communist states — first North Korea, under UN auspices, and later, North Vietnam. The first threatened to broaden into a war against China, and was ended by the former Allied Commander (Europe), Dwight D. Eisenhower, when he was elected U.S. president. The second one was lost by the U.S. military.
The war on terrorism is more like the war on drugs, or even the war on poverty. It is a public relations campaign. We are to be persuaded there is a threat, get worked up about a war against a noun, in this case, an abstract noun.
The terrorists we are supposed to fear, have organizations, not states. Their war-making capacity ranges from homemade bombs to armed militia. Cunningly, they are rumoured to be a threat at any time, in any place, without it ever being said precisely who they are supposed to be.
The terrorist threat is part of the arsenal used by governments to get others to do things. The exercise of power requires governments to justify what they have done. Terrorism is an all-purpose excuse for thuggery.
The latest U.S. gambit is to prepare bomb attacks against Iran on the pretext Tehran is making bombs for Shiite militia operating in Iraq, and supplying Hezbollah in Lebanon. This would have the effect of broadening the war in Iraq to include making war on Iran, as another part of the war on terrorism.
The American political system will be sorely tested to deal with such an outlaw action: the Democrats are timid. American allies will be called upon to support the further insanity of an attack on Iran. The Stephen Harper Conservatives can be counted on to lend vocal assistance.
The Canadian Supreme Court has ruled against the Harper government claim that so-called security certificates are necessary to combat terrorism, even if they remove the right to know why a suspect was charged, and access to evidence of what the charges entail. The court argued, in effect, throw out freedom in the name of national security, and you end up with neither. This was not particularly original, but it was certainly welcome.
The House of Commons has rejected a government attempt to renew odious legislation introduced by a previous Liberal government in the wake of September 11 that allowed preventive arrest of suspected terrorists, and required people to testify without their consent. Prominent former Liberal ministers John Manley and Anne McClelland supported carrying on the charade of making nice with the Americans. The American party in Canada can always be counted upon to do the right thing by Washington, no instructions necessary.
It is time to quit pretending that our NATO membership, or NORAD, or NAFTA, or whatever, requires Canada to participate in the war on terrorism. It would be infinitely preferable to announce that Canadians have no intention of living in constant fear, and that there is no such thing as a war on something that cannot be identified.
Duncan Cameron is associate publisher of rabble.ca. He writes from Vancouver.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Another phony threat

>by Duncan Cameron
February 28, 2007
The war on terror is a phony war; there is no terrorist threat to go to war against. Washington, and its Canadian friends would have you believe the war on terrorism is legitimate:

I repeat myself , but this war is exactly the same war there was in middle age, remember the war they had against withches??

Just talk with no evidence.

The worst arent those who brought those idiots policy which is called the New world order( bush administration, blair gov, harper gov, etcc) it is those who follow and believe those policy by the book, they have lost contact with reality a long time ago, and damn there is a good bunch of them in here.:laughing7:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
You guys are kidding, right? There will be more terror action on American soil. It will come to Canada as well. When it does, our society will change once more. Legislatures will jump into action and opinions like yours will be marginalized. These are not happy times. Wishful thinking doesn't cut it.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
oh hell I wish Armegedon would come, get it over with, tired of it all flaten more towers, down more planes. Eventually theres only so many virgins you can promis.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You guys are kidding, right? There will be more terror action on American soil. It will come to Canada as well. When it does, our society will change once more. Legislatures will jump into action and opinions like yours will be marginalized. These are not happy times. Wishful thinking doesn't cut it.

I blieve there will be additional attacks on American assets somewhere sometime this year from what I read. Opinions like mine were marginalized a long time ago, the wars for oil depended on that being done first. That's what the attack on 9/11 was for. You do not believe that the most powerful nation on the planet would commit any act to retain that position. Who's thinking wishfully?:wave:

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
What an impressive set of credentials this scholar possesses. An ASSOCIATE publisher of rabble. If you are not familiar with rabble,it is a forum way to the left of this one. You can call Harper,Bush,any conservative or republican, a nazi,racist,etc. and you will be applauded. Don't dare criticize any NDP or liberal or even point out thier flaws or else you will have the rabble insult you and then you will be removed. Both dark beaver and logic would feel right at home there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
What an impressive set of credentials this scholar possesses. An ASSOCIATE publisher of rabble. If you are not familiar with rabble,it is a forum way to the left of this one. You can call Harper,Bush,any conservative or republican, a nazi,racist,etc. and you will be applauded. Don't dare criticize any NDP or liberal or even point out thier flaws or else you will have the rabble insult you and then you will be removed. Both dark beaver and logic would feel right at home there.

Hi Wallyj, how are you feeling this evening, fine I hope, I see that you have elected to slag the source instead of making comment on the thoughts contained in the article. This of course is your decision and I respect that, so many people wouldn't even make that effort. You are to be commended and applauded for your participation which I know for a fact is much appreciated here at CCC. I hope you continue to post here and that in the future we can become close buddies, perhaps even drinking buddies, we should go boozeing and wenching sometime, I bet you're a real fun bar sloth. Goodnight Wally please include me in your prayers, I will ask Satan to keep you safe in mine.:)

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Dear beaver
I have witnessed today the oddest thing. I saw the longest sarcastic post today.
It truly was odd , like the weather in fall, starts off warm only to finish wet and very cold.
One of these days your are going to blow me away with your sarcasm that the preson recieving it will actually thank you.....
....ROFLMFAO

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Dear beaver
I have witnessed today the oddest thing. I saw the longest sarcastic post today.
It truly was odd , like the weather in fall, starts off warm only to finish wet and very cold.
One of these days your are going to blow me away with your sarcasm that the preson recieving it will actually thank you.....
....ROFLMFAO

Dearest ElBarto, there are those here somewhere who have real talent with language, I think it has something to do with the brain.Sadly mine was damaged in an experiment with synthetic plutonium.:)

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I am so glad you feel that way. Do you realize that there are muslim groups celebrating the Canadian rulings this weekend? Why would that be?These rules did not target muslims,they targetted terorists. But of course they don't exist. I guess if you believe that if they can fake a moon landing they can fake the terrorist attacks.I sincerely hope that the next "terrorist' attack leaves someone you love "falsely" dead.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I am so glad you feel that way. Do you realize that there are muslim groups celebrating the Canadian rulings this weekend? Why would that be?These rules did not target muslims,they targetted terorists. But of course they don't exist. I guess if you believe that if they can fake a moon landing they can fake the terrorist attacks.I sincerely hope that the next "terrorist' attack leaves someone you love "falsely" dead.

Wallyj my heart is torn asunder by your discomfort at hearing of the recent decision. True the rules did not overtly target Muslims but they did target others who may or may not be considered terrorists, in other words you or I could be subject to arrest and imprisonment and torture with no recourse to justice. These laws were not required,strictly speaking. The good gentlemen entrusted with the safety of each of us have made this determination on our behalf and we will have to abide by that untill such time when they may deem it necessary to enact additional legislation.
As to the existance of terrorists, well there is indeed no doubt that they do in fact exist. The terrorist attack that I think you are referring to was authentic, doubt surrounds the terrorists identity which I believe to be other than who was blamed. I feel you do not share that belief which of course is your problem with me as it were. There is naught but circumstantial evidence to support your position.Where are the bodys,who financed the operation, how did they traverse protected airspace, how were they able to orchestrate a dance with five stolen airliners and avoid interception for so long. Why did Bush refuse to conduct a congressional hearing for so long and why when he did was the panel stuffed with cronys and bagmen and neo-con operatives. The congressioal report that was finally released is comode paper. I can't comment on the fake moon landing story. I know a gentle considerate person like you does not really wish death on one of my false loves. Walk with Jesus Wallyj, I will sacrifice a puppy for your health and happyness.Satan loves you, and so do I.:)

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
You really are a pompous deluded ass! When did canada start torturing ? Go back to rabble and start a circle jerk with your buddies. Oh,dark beaver you write so well,Thanks el barto,can I touch you now?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
You really are a pompous deluded ass! When did canada start torturing ? Go back to rabble and start a circle jerk with your buddies. Oh,dark beaver you write so well,Thanks el barto,can I touch you now?
lol lol lol you must take yourself too seriously sometimes. Then again you can take a hint.
If you were sitting on the other side you'd find it funny....:wave: :wave: :wave:
"can I touch you now " lol lol lol right at ya bud ..lol lol lol

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The terrorist threat is the successor to the Communist threat. That was equally phony, but more plausible since there were Communist states, all with armies on parade

The communist government would never have come into power in Russia if it hadn't been for the money given to it by the Republicans under Hoover in the 1920s. Furthermore, it was sustained by Republican Armand Hammer during the 1930s and thereafter {op cit}. Previously, numerous links have been posted here to show how Middle Eastern "terrorists" have been similarly financed. So, yes, there is a "threat" but one that is manufactured by Republicans.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe the US is just like Cheney and the big orange turkey he shot. Could be that they just have bad aim. Lemme see, they were terrorized at the WTC, some dood named Bin Laden said he did it and he went to Pakistan, they went to Iraq to get revenge. Perhaps if we tell them we did it, they'll actually go to Pakistan looking for Bin Laden. 8O

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006

Come on get real, those same idiots are saying they hate western freedom, is it the reason why usa governement instore patriot act, wiretapping, to make those terrorist happy??

Remember, from all those terrrorist act towards the west, there is not a single shread of evidence, once there is, then maybe i will start to believe it, until then, they can go **** themselves( usa-can-uk governement)

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe the US is just like Cheney and the big orange turkey he shot. Could be that they just have bad aim. Lemme see, they were terrorized at the WTC, some dood named Bin Laden said he did it and he went to Pakistan, they went to Iraq to get revenge. Perhaps if we tell them we did it, they'll actually go to Pakistan looking for Bin Laden. 8O

Saying they did it with an suspected tape where only the us officials says the tape is authentic, isnt an evidence, check for yourself, even the fbi doesnt buy this story.

CAUTION

Usama Bin Laden is wanted in connection with the August 7, 1998, bombings of the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya. These attacks killed over 200 people. In addition, Bin Laden is a suspect in other terrorist attacks throughout the world.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/terrorists/terbinladen.htm

So where is the accusation of 9-11?? none of them, he isnt even suspected for 9-11, so for once get real.