The Rape Of Sabrine

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]The Rape of Sabrine...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial] Riverbend, Bagdad burning[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]February 20, 2007

It takes a lot to get the energy and resolution to blog lately. I guess it’s mainly because just thinking about the state of Iraq leaves me drained and depressed. But I had to write tonight.

As I write this, Oprah is on Channel 4 (one of the MBC channels we get on Nilesat), showing Americans how to get out of debt. Her guest speaker is telling a studio full of American women who seem to have over-shopped that they could probably do with fewer designer products. As they talk about increasing incomes and fortunes, Sabrine Al-Janabi, a young Iraqi woman, is on Al Jazeera telling how Iraqi security forces abducted her from her home and raped her. You can only see her eyes, her voice is hoarse and it keeps breaking as she speaks. In the end she tells the reporter that she can’t talk about it anymore and she covers her eyes with shame.

She might just be the bravest Iraqi woman ever. Everyone knows American forces and Iraqi security forces are raping women (and men), but this is possibly the first woman who publicly comes out and tells about it using her actual name. Hearing her tell her story physically makes my heart ache. Some people will call her a liar. Others (including pro-war Iraqis) will call her a prostitute- shame on you in advance.

I wonder what excuse they used when they took her. It’s most likely she’s one of the thousands of people they round up under the general headline of 'terrorist suspect’. She might have been one of those subtitles you read on CNN or BBC or Arabiya, "13 insurgents captured by Iraqi security forces." The men who raped her are those same security forces Bush and Condi are so proud of- you know- the ones the Americans trained. It’s a chapter right out of the book that documents American occupation in Iraq: the chapter that will tell the story of 14-year-old Abeer who was raped, killed and burned with her little sister and parents.

They abducted her from her house in an area in southern Baghdad called Hai Al Amil. No- it wasn’t a gang. It was Iraqi peace keeping or security forces- the ones trained by Americans? You know them. She was brutally gang-raped and is now telling the story. Half her face is covered for security reasons or reasons of privacy. I translated what she said below.

"I told him, 'I don’t have anything [I did not do anything].’ He said, 'You don’t have anything?’ One of them threw me on the ground and my head hit the tiles. He did what he did- I mean he raped me. The second one came and raped me. The third one also raped me. [Pause- sobbing] I begged them and cried, and one of them covered my mouth. [Unclear, crying] Another one of them came and said, 'Are you finished? We also want our turn.' So they answered, 'No, an American committee came.’ They took me to the judge.

Anchorwoman: Sabrine Al Janabi said that one of the security forces videotaped/photographed her and threatened to kill her if she told anyone about the rape. Another officer raped her after she saw the investigative judge.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Sabrine continuing:
"One of them, he said… I told him, 'Please- by your father and mother- let me go.’ He said, 'No, no- by my mother’s soul I’ll let you go- but on one condition, you give me one single thing.’ I said, 'What?’ He said, '[I want] to rape you.’ I told him, 'No- I can’t.’ So he took me to a room with a weapon… It had a weapon, a Klashnikov, a small bed [Unclear], he sat me on it. So [the officer came] and told him, 'Leave her to me.’ I swore to him on the Quran, I told him, 'By the light of the Prophet I don’t do such things…’ He said, 'You don’t do such things?’ I said, 'Yes’.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
[Crying] He picked up a black hose, like a pipe. He hit me on the thigh. [Crying] I told him, 'What do you want from me? Do you want me to tell you rape me? But I can’t… I’m not one of those ***** [Prostitutes] I don’t do such things.’ So he said to me, 'We take what we want and what we don’t want we kill. That’s that.’ [Sobbing] I can’t anymore… please, I can’t finish."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
I look at this woman and I can’t feel anything but rage. What did we gain? I know that looking at her, foreigners will never be able to relate. They’ll feel pity and maybe some anger, but she’s one of us. She’s not a girl in jeans and a t-shirt so there will only be a vague sort of sympathy. Poor third-world countries- that is what their womenfolk tolerate. Just know that we never had to tolerate this before. There was a time when Iraqis were safe in the streets. That time is long gone. We consoled ourselves after the war with the fact that we at least had a modicum of safety in our homes. Homes are sacred, aren’t they? That is gone too.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
She’s just one of tens, possibly hundreds, of Iraqi women who are violated in their own homes and in Iraqi prisons. She looks like cousins I have. She looks like friends. She looks like a neighbor I sometimes used to pause to gossip with in the street. Every Iraqi who looks at her will see a cousin, a friend, a sister, a mother, an aunt…
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Humanitarian organizations are warning that three Iraqi women are to be executed next month. The women are Wassan Talib, Zainab Fadhil and Liqa Omar Muhammad. They are being accused of 'terrorism', i.e. having ties to the Iraqi resistance. It could mean they are relatives of people suspected of being in the resistance. Or it could mean they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. One of them gave birth in the prison. I wonder what kind of torture they've endured. Let no one say Iraqi women didn't get at least SOME equality under the American occupation- we are now equally as likely to get executed. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]And yet, as the situation continues to deteriorate both for Iraqis inside and outside of Iraq, and for Americans inside Iraq, Americans in America are still debating on the state of the war and occupation- are they winning or losing? Is it better or worse. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Let me clear it up for any moron with lingering doubts: It’s worse. It’s over. You lost. You lost the day your tanks rolled into Baghdad to the cheers of your imported, American-trained monkeys. You lost every single family whose home your soldiers violated. You lost every sane, red-blooded Iraqi when the Abu Ghraib pictures came out and verified your atrocities behind prison walls as well as the ones we see in our streets. You lost when you brought murderers, looters, gangsters and militia heads to power and hailed them as Iraq’s first democratic government. You lost when a gruesome execution was dubbed your biggest accomplishment. You lost the respect and reputation you once had. You lost more than 3000 troops. That is what you lost America. I hope the oil, at least, made it worthwhile.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] :: Article nr. 30781 sent on 20-feb-2007 05:55 ECT
[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]www.uruknet.info?p=30781

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Utterly shocking.

shocking? Has there, in all of human history, ever been a war where this stuff didn't happen?

it always bothers me when governments act shocked and appalled that rampaging troops of men act less than gentlemanly. Like it's the first time, and there was no way they could have anticipated abuse of civilians. This is a casualty of war. It has always happened and will always happen. And any government striking off into war needs to take it into account.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
shocking? Has there, in all of human history, ever been a war where this stuff didn't happen?

it always bothers me when governments act shocked and appalled that rampaging troops of men act less than gentlemanly. Like it's the first time, and there was no way they could have anticipated abuse of civilians. This is a casualty of war. It has always happened and will always happen. And any government striking off into war needs to take it into account.

They do take it into account, they more often than not encourage it, it's called terrorism, it's called total war, if they wanted to stop it they would.Nothing frightens the enemy like looting rapeing and pillageing. That's part of the reason war is appalling disgust business, and it happens everyday in Iraq, in Somalia, in the Sudan and a hundred other places, and maybe soon in Iran.:wave:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Why ,how can someone wear their country on their arm, commit such hideous crimes ,so selfish ,I cant believe they are there as a extension of the rest of their country .The same old method get the same old results .

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Why ,how can someone wear their country on their arm, commit such hideous crimes ,so selfish ,I cant believe they are there as a extension of the rest of their country .The same old method get the same old results .

But those same old results are what we want, untill we want something better we will continue to use the same old time honoured methods, painting them with heroism and glory and cheap tin medals all purchased with blood and youth.:wave:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Deconstructing the BBC rape story of Sabreen
BBC Raped?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial] Arab bARABie blog[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT]
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/feb2107/Deconstructing%20the%20BBC%20rape%20story%20of%20SabreenBBC%20Raped%20%20%20%20from%20www.uruknet.info%20%20%20news%20from%20occupied%20Iraq%20-%20it_files/pic.jpg [FONT=Verdana,Arial]February 20, 2006

bARABie's comments are written in red

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial] BBC: Rape claim splits Iraq government [/FONT]

An allegation that Iraqi police raped a Sunni woman while enforcing a new security plan in Baghdad has opened sectarian splits within the government.
The second word of the heading is "claim" plus the second word of the first sentence is "allegation", so you are already being conditioned to think this story is "false".
So a rape "allegation" is opening sectarian splits not the daily massacres.
The woman said she was assaulted at a police garrison on Sunday where she was falsely held for supporting insurgents.
Falsely held, what does that mean? Well it means the "claim" or "allegation" the woman was supporting the resistance was "false".

Prime Minister Nouri Maliki, who is Shia, dismissed the claims, but senior Sunni officials insist it is true.
Observers say the row could undermine the security plan, in which mainly-Shia police are deployed in Sunni areas.
Massacring innocent civilians won't undermine the security plan but THIS rape will. ok. Security for who BTW, not for the civilians.

Mr Maliki accused "known groups" - taken to mean Sunni political parties - of fabricating the story, to discredit the security forces.
I doubt this very much. Think about it, why would they need to fabricate stories when there are so many atrocities being committed on a daily basis? The "security forces" have discredited themselves through their own actions.

A series of insurgency attacks in and around the capital have already shown the difficulties of trying to stem the tide of violence.
They create the violence and "claim" they want to stem the tide of violence.

• A chemicals tanker was blown up in Taji, killing six and causing 148 people to inhale noxious fumes
  • Two car bombs killed at least eight people and wounded 30 in south-west and south Baghdad
  • A suicide bomber attacked a funeral in Baghdad, killing seven mourners
  • How did the writer of this story know the bomb was set off by a suicide bomber?
  • Five US soldiers died in attacks on Monday, the military said.
'False arrest'
The woman, whose identity has not been confirmed, made the rape allegation in an emotional interview with Arabic TV network al-Jazeera.
Here we start with the word "false", then move onto her identity and question the validity of that as well, trying to insinuate that basically everything about this woman's story is "false". Notice the word "allegation" again.

She was arrested in her Baghdad neighbourhood of Amil for helping insurgents and taken to a police facility where she claims she was assaulted by three officers.
Now the writer starts getting really dirty, originally we were told the woman was falsely arrested, thereby the heading "false arrest" but now we are told she is guilty of those charges as there is no "claim" "allegation" or anything similar preceding "helping insurgents".

Mr Maliki ordered an investigation into the case on Monday night, but cleared the three men hours later.
Inspector peirot look out, maliki is after your job.

"Medical examinations showed the woman had not been subjected to any sexual attack," a government statement said.
"The prime minister has ordered that the honourable officers accused be rewarded," it added without elaborating.
This has to the ultimate kick in the teeth for the poor woman.

But an aide of Vice President Tariq Hashimi, a Sunni, said the prime minister's office had acted in haste, and doctors had in fact confirmed rape had taken place.
The woman was named Sabrine Janabi by al-Jazeera, but Sunni politicians said this was not her real name.
The US military, whose medical staff oversaw the woman's examination, said it was aware of the various reports, but could not confirm anything.
If they oversaw the examination, why are they not revealing the truth? What is preventing them from stating yes or no?

Sunni politicians have accused the police of a series of human rights abuses perpetrated on their community and of turning a blind eye to attacks on them by Shia militants.
Link to original story.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] :: Article nr. 30820 sent on 21-feb-2007 04:46 ECT
[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]www.uruknet.info?p=30820

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial] [ home page] | [ tutte le notizie/all news ] | [ download banner] | [ ultimo aggiornamento/last update 21/02/2007 06:14 ] [/FONT] [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial] Vuoi una pagina più leggera di uruknet.info in italiano da mettere come tua pagina iniziale? CLICKA QUI.
Would you like a lighter page of uruknet.info in english to set as your initial page? CLICK HERE.
Est-ce que vous aiment uruknet.info en français comme votre page initiale? CLIQUEZ ICI.
¿Usted quieres uruknet.info como su pagina inicial en español? CLICK AQUÌ.
Você gostam de ter uruknet.info como sua pàgina inicial no português? ESTALE AQUI.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]You are using a MS operating system! Nothing so wrong with this, but try also others (Mac, Linux, Unix)[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]22-Feb-2007 00:49[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]W[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]ruknet, uruklink, iraq, uruqlink, iraq, irak, irakeno, iraqui, uruk, uruqlink, saddam hussein, baghdad, mesopotamia, babilonia, uday, qusay, udai, qusai,hussein, feddayn, fedayn saddam, mujaheddin, mojahidin, tarek aziz, chalabi, iraqui, baath, ba'ht, Aljazira, aljazeera, Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Palestina, Sharon, Israele, Nasser, ahram, hayat, sharq awsat, iraqwar,irakwar All pictures

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/feb2107/Deconstructing%20the%20BBC%20rape%20story%20of%20SabreenBBC%20Raped%20%20%20%20from%20www.uruknet.info%20%20%20news%20from%20occupied%20Iraq%20-%20it_files/bbc-raped.htm

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] counter not foundcounter not found [/FONT]

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Yeah, those rotten security forces and rotten Americans. They sure are much worse than the insurgent angels, al-Quaida angels, etc. :roll:

Yep, heaven knows there weren't any sociopathic rapists in Iraq before Americans showed up.

I still can't figure out how rapes happen in countries we haven't invaded though...must be a coincidence:roll:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah, those rotten security forces and rotten Americans. They sure are much worse than the insurgent angels, al-Quaida angels, etc. :roll:

You obviously seem to think that the Americans and thier appointed security forces (death squads) have legitamacy with respect to the destruction and occupation of the previously soverign nation of Iraq. One wonders who you would suck-up to should Canada undergo a similar problem. The occupation forces have destroyed a country along with millions of people, but that's fine by you eh. You seem to be an otherwise reasonable intelligent person. Don't bother to object to my analysis of your contribution, as you've said before I don't know what you're thinking, possibly thinking is not involved.I'm sure you will defend the murdering thieving pricks no matter what.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
karrie said:

We all know that these terrible things happen. But Abu Ghraib should have been enough of a lesson by now.

So many people used to say that invading iraq was justified because Saddam committed so many atrocities. But now Bush and his forces have done worse. Thankfully, most of his supporters have now been silenced. Eventually all of them will be silenced as well.