Australian PM attacks Obama for saying US should withdraw its troops from Iraq

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Australian Prime Minister John Howard has attacked US Democrat Presidential hopeful Barack Obama for saying US troops should withdraw from Iraq next year.

Australia is America's biggest ally after Britain.

After America (population 300 million) and Britain (population 61 million), Australia (population of just 20 million) sent the largest number of troops to Iraq during the 2003 war -

Howard's Barack-ing for Obama

By TOM HARVEY
February 12, 2007

Anglosphere: Australian Prime Minister John Howard - Australia was the third biggest contributor to the Iraq invasion after America and Britain

AUSTRALIAN PM John Howard has criticised US presidential hopeful Barack Obama for saying US troops should withdraw from Iraq next year.

Their 3-day running spat over is turning in to more of a running battle.

His comments came soon after Mr Obama officially announced he would seek the Democratic Presidential nomination.

Mr Howard said al-Qaeda should be "praying as many times as possible" for an Obama victory in the 2008 elections.

But Mr Obama reacted by saying Australia should increase its troops in Iraq, if Mr Howard was so concerned.

Mr Obama will contest the Democrat presidential nomination.

Here's the full tit-for-tat in the Barack-Howard spat::

SUNDAY

In a live televised interview John Howard said:

"If I were running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory not only for Obama but also for the Democrats."

He added that Obama's stance on Iraq "will just encourage those who want to completely destabilise and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and a victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for an Obama victory".

When questioned on his tirade, Howard said: "That is absurd, what I have done is to criticise Senator Obama's views on a particular issue, and I don't retreat in any way."

Praying for a victory ... Anti-war Democrat hopeful Obama has come under attack from the Australians

Obama, in Iowa a day after formally announcing his candidacy, responded to Howard’s initial comments by saying he was flattered that one of Bush’s close allies had chosen to single him out for attack.

He then challenged Howard on his commitment to the Iraq conflict, noting the United States has nearly 140,000 troops in Iraq compared to Australia’s about 1,400 forces in the region.

“So if he is ginned up to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq,” Obama said.

“Otherwise it’s just a bunch of empty rhetoric.”

MONDAY

Far from satisfied, Howard denied having a political motive when he said terrorists in Iraq would be praying for Democratic hopeful Barack Obama to become U.S. president.

He then responded to Obama's comments in a a radio interview saying:

"Australia’s troop commitment is very significant and appropriate; given the country’s relatively small population of about 20million."

Stay tuned for their ongoing battle.

thesun.co.uk

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
He then challenged Howard on his commitment to the Iraq conflict, noting the United States has nearly 140,000 troops in Iraq compared to Australia’s about 1,400 forces in the region.

“So if he is ginned up to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq,” Obama said.

Amen to that. What gall. Ankle biter countries should stop pretending their opinions carry so much weight. On the basis of population their contribution is still nowhere near what the US has contributed. I say put up or shut up.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Amen to that. What gall. Ankle biter countries should stop pretending their opinions carry so much weight. On the basis of population their contribution is still nowhere near what the US has contributed. I say put up or shut up.

It may be that he was 'told' to say that.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Howard won't commit more troops because it would be the end of his reign.

The Aussie's have figured out what everybody else has.

Iraq was huge mistake and I thank Mr. Cretien for seeing a proof is not a proof until it is proven. :thumbleft:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Howard won't commit more troops because it would be the end of his reign.

The Aussie's have figured out what everybody else has.

Iraq was huge mistake and I thank Mr. Cretien for seeing a proof is not a proof until it is proven. :thumbleft:

LOL. It's a good thing we stayed home this time.