Diplomatic row deepens after Indian woman is "racially abused" on British TV show

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Diplomatic row deepens after Indian woman is "racially abused" on British TV show

Britain and India have been plunged into diplomatic crisis all because of a reality TV show.

In scenes which could be described as "going over the top", people across India burnt effigies of the producers of Channel 4 show "Big Brother" in Britain. On this show, celebrities have to live together in the same house whilst being watched by camera at all times, so that members of the public can even see them whilst they are in bed. However, a few of the women, led by Jade Goody and including Jo O'Meara , former member of pop band S Club 7, have been accused of racism towards Shilpa Shetty, the Indian Bollywood actress who stays in the house.

Just because of these alleged racist remarks, effigies are being burnt in the streets of India, the world's largest democracy, and politicians in both countries are debating in Parliament about it.
-------------------------------------------------

Diplomatic row deepens over Big Brother race allegations

17th January 2007

Victimised: Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty shows the strain after comments from housemates Jo, Danielle and Jade

Protestors in India took to the streets, burning placards and effigies of Channel 4's Big Brother producers

Newspapers across India have carried details of the alleged racism against Shilpa Shetty

Britain has been plunged into a diplomatic crisis with India following accusations of 'racism' on reality television show Celebrity Big Brother, aimed at Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty.

Tony Blair was drawn into the row during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday while Chancellor Gordon Brown condemned the 'offensive' bullying on his visit to India following a complaint from the country's junior foreign minister.

And security has stepped up around TV's Celebrity Big Brother house after threats were made against the housemates at the centre of the bitter race storm.

The row started after thousands of viewers of the show complained about comments directed towards Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty by fellow housemates Jo, Danielle and Jade.

The show has already received more complaints than any other in British television history, with more than 25,000 registered.

The controversy has now sparked comment from Tony Blair who has not seen the programme but highlighted the Government's condemnation of racism.

It has also led to demonstrations on the streets of India, where angry protestors burned placards and effigies of Big Brother organisers.

Gordon Brown (Prime Minister-elect), who is on a visit to India, stepped into the row, describing alleged racist comments made on the programme as "offensive".

He added that he condemned anything which harmed Britain's reputation as a tolerant land.

He said: "I understand that in the UK there have already been 10,000 complaints from viewers about these remarks, which people see, rightly, as offensive.

"I want Britain to be seen as a country of fairness and tolerance. Anything detracting from this I condemn."

Tony Blair spoke out against racism "in all its forms" after complaints about the treatment of one of the Celebrity Big Brother housemates.

Labour MP Keith Vaz, who tabled an early day motion in the House of Commons about the treatment of Shilpa, asked the Prime Minister: "Will you join with me in condemning racism and xenophobia in any form, including on the so-called reality television show Big Brother, that has prompted 13,000 individual complaints.

"Don't you agree with me it is very important that broadcasters need to take great care before they publish any such prejudices to millions of people throughout the country?"

Mr Blair replied: "I have not seen the particular programme in question and therefore can't comment on it.

"But, of course, I would agree entirely with the principles you have outlined, which is that we should oppose racism in all its forms."

The exchanges came after it was disclosed that India was to raise allegations of racism against one of its Bollywood stars on Celebrity Big Brother programme.

Hertfordshire Police confirmed that Channel 4 producers had passed them two emails containing "unspecified threats" against some of the contestants.

A spokesman said: "Police are currently looking into the emails."

The police investigation comes as further doubt was cast over the future of the reality TV show after the programme's sponsor threatened to pull out of a £3 million deal because of the alleged racist bullying of Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty.

Carphone Warehouse said it was "reviewing" the deal and was "against racism".

TV regulator Ofcom is expected to receive more after the latest show to be aired contained further footage of the actress being bullied by Jade Goody, her boyfriend Jack Tweed, singer Jo O'Meara and disgraced former Miss Great Britain Danielle Lloyd.

The 31-year-old Indian star was told to pick chicken bones out of the lavatory with her teeth by Tweed on the main show while live streaming showed Goody saying that she wanted to "headbutt" Shetty.

Goody then speculated that Shetty, who has starred in nearly 50 Bollywood films, was a "fake" celebrity planted in the house.

"She says she is a Bollywood actress, but for all I know she could be a phony from the Old Kent Road," said Goody.

Today bookmaker William Hill announced it had cut the odds of Celebrity Big Brother not lasting its scheduled run from 20/1 to 5/2.

William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said: "Channel 4 could make their decision for any number of reasons, and despite the fact that Big Brother is one of their success stories, we will not be offering such generous odds in the future."

Shetty, who is being paid £367,000 for appearing on the show, has been called a "dog" and contestants have complained about her touching their food.

Channel 4 denies a claim, which spread rapidly on websites, that Shetty had been called a "Paki".

O'Meara, former singer with pop band S Club 7, declared Indians were thin because they were always ill as a result of undercooking their food.

Insults from Goody's mother Jackiey Budden continued even after she had been evicted from the house.

She told Now magazine: "The Indian should have stayed in Bollywood. I'd love to squeeze her neck until her eyes pop out."

An online petition to "Save Shilpa Shetty from racism in Celebrity Big Brother" had topped nearly 20,000 signatures.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
someone doesnt like an indian person. wow. shocking.

jade goody is renowned as the stupidest person in england. she can barely put words together at all. she probably doesnt know of the existance of a separate pakistan and india.

why would this incite such massive anger? has no one ever said they didnt like the english on tv? these are personal feelings of individuals on the show. it's not like big brother is endorsing racism

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
someone doesnt like an indian person. wow. shocking.

jade goody is renowned as the stupidest person in england. she can barely put words together at all. she probably doesnt know of the existance of a separate pakistan and india.

why would this incite such massive anger? has no one ever said they didnt like the english on tv? these are personal feelings of individuals on the show. it's not like big brother is endorsing racism

Is this where I can use that blanket statement that you used accusing all Americans of being racist and bigots on your fellow countrymen?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it's quite common for americans to dislike english, it's also quite common for english to dislike indian. basically racism and xenophobia are common. so there's no reason to get upset when one perfectly normal (admittedly stupid) person goes on tv and shows that she's racist and stupid

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
it's quite common for americans to dislike english, it's also quite common for english to dislike indian. basically racism and xenophobia are common. so there's no reason to get upset when one perfectly normal (admittedly stupid) person goes on tv and shows that she's racist and stupid

Well, I think part of the issue is the fact that the producers chose to keep racist comments in the aired portions of the show. These shows are typically heavily edited, they had to know leaving those comments to go to the air would cause trouble.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
yes of course. and i don't blame them. I still think that if jade dumbass goody thought that on live TV she would be more popular for saying the things she said, she deserves to be poured scorn upon. NOT the producers, but the people. and NOT hatred. Really when she comes out there ought to be someone who says to her "what the hell is wrong with you?"

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
yes of course. and i don't blame them. I still think that if jade dumbass goody thought that on live TV she would be more popular for saying the things she said, she deserves to be poured scorn upon. NOT the producers, but the people. and NOT hatred. Really when she comes out there ought to be someone who says to her "what the hell is wrong with you?"

You're right... the severity of the reaction is astounding, and a bit uncalled for. I'd like to see her collectively shunned when she gets out, that's for sure.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Odd behavior. I can't seem to bring myself to take anything concerning reality shows seriously. IMO, they are just as much a waste of airtime as game shows, 99% of sitcoms, and infomercials. Bubblegum for the mind. Might as well watch something with more substance; something like cartoons, for instance.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
yes. cartoons are much better than big brother

I know I don't watch reality tv unless I'm sick, but I do keep caught up on both Kim Possible and Dave the Barbarian. One of the perks of having kids, I can watch cartoons without looking like a lunatic. *L*

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
These are the realities of racism in Britain

By Nigel Morris and Andy McSmith

18 January 2007

When Commonwealth immigration to Britain began in large numbers half a century ago, newcomers faced instinctive and engrained bigotry.

Race relations legislation has stamped out most public expressions of prejudice and two generations of white youngsters have grown up used to seeing black and Asian faces on high streets around the country.

For all the progress, though, ethnic minority Britons often find themselves at a disadvantage compared with their white neighbours in their everyday lives. Many are more likely to be expelled from school, jailed, unemployed, poorly paid, living in sub-standard housing and victims of crime.

And the surge in support over the past two years for the British National Party suggests that racial prejudice is still not far below the surface in many white communities.

The population of the United Kingdom now stands at just over 60 million, of whom about 4.6 million (8 per cent) come from an ethnic minority background. That includes 2.3 million people who describe their background as Asian, 1.1 million who are Black Caribbean or Black African, and nearly 700,000 of mixed race.

A review by the former NatWest chief executive, Sir Derek Wanless, last November revealed that black children were five times less likely to be registered as "gifted and talented" than white children, and three times more likely to be excluded than whites.

Home Office data published last autumn showed that black people were still six times more likely than whites to be stopped and searched, and Asians are twice as likely.

Research has also suggested that black and Asian people are more likely to be imprisoned than white defendants - and, if found guilty, receive longer sentences than whites.

Last month, the Crown Prosecution Service revealed statistics pointing to an increase in race-related crime, with prosecutions for racially or religiously aggravated offences up by more than a quarter on the previous year.The CPS said police and the courts had become more sensitive to race-related crime, and part of the increase in the numbers may simply be down to better reporting by the police.

By the numbers

20% The proportion of people jailed who come from an ethnic minority community - they make up only 8 per cent of the population

28% The increase in prosecutions for racially aggravated offences last year. The total in 2005 was 7,430

10% The proportion of non-white people whose details have been added to the national DNA database, compared to only 5 per cent of white people

independent.co.uk