Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
*** BREAKING NEWS ***

NBC: U.S. strike targets al-Qaida in Somalia
AC-130 gunship reportedly fires on ’98 East Africa embassy bombs suspects

NBC News and news services
Updated: 9:03 p.m. ET Jan 8, 2007

WASHINGTON - A senior Pentagon official confirmed for NBC News Monday that a U.S. gunship conducted a strike against two suspected al-Qaida operatives in southern Somalia. It was not immediately known whether the mission was successful.

The U.S. Air Force AC-130 gunship, operated by the Special Operations Command, flew from its base in Djibouti to the southern tip of Somalia, where the al-Qaida suspects were believed to have fled from the capital, Mogadishu, CBS News reported.

The AC-130 is capable of firing thousands of rounds per second.

U.S. officials say that the United States received assurances from both the Ethiopian and Somalian governments in the last two weeks that, should they obtain intelligence concerning the whereabouts of the al-Qaida operatives, they would pass it on to the United States.

The operatives are believed to be responsible for the 1998 bombings in Kenya and Tanzania, which left 241 people dead, as well as 2002 attacks on Israeli tourists in Kenya and the attempted downing of an Israeli aircraft the same day.

The Ethiopian military swept into Somalia last month and removed the Islamic government that had reputedly harbored al-Qaida operatives.

The leader of al-Qaida's East Africa cell is named Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, NBC’s Robert Windrem reported.

It is not known if Mohammed, 31, was the target of the attack, but he has been the most targeted al-Qaida operative in Africa for nearly a decade. He is most commonly known as Harun Fazul. He is fluent in English, French, Arabic and Swahili.

Mohammed has been indicted in the United States in connection with the Aug. 6, 1998, embassy bombings.

The United States has established a reward of $5 million for information leading to his capture.
This breaking story will be updated.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16531987/

Last edited:

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
As long as the intel is accurate. I could see the Ethiopian goverment branding an enemy of the Ethiopian goverment an Al-Qaida terrorist and let the US do the dirty work. Works for the Russians and the Chechen people.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I'm quite frankly suprised the U.S. military could find Somalia....

They can't find Osama bin what's his name....they don't have a clue who really killed Kennedy.... it took an entire fleet of American warships to find Granada....

I suppose in all fairness.... they're still looking for those huge stockpiles of WMD in Iraq and that's taken the best and brightest minds the United States of America has to offer....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Not the kind of gun you want pointed in your general vicinity.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
*** BREAKING NEWS ***

NBC: U.S. strike targets al-Qaida in Somalia
AC-130 gunship reportedly fires on ’98 East Africa embassy bombs suspects

NBC News and news services
Updated: 9:03 p.m. ET Jan 8, 2007

WASHINGTON - A senior Pentagon official confirmed for NBC News Monday that a U.S. gunship conducted a strike against two suspected al-Qaida operatives in southern Somalia. It was not immediately known whether the mission was successful.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16531987/

2 suspected alqueada operatives, means absotly nothing at all.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Logic

Any reason for the United States to haul out its military hardware is absolutely kosher. How do you expect the Carlyle Group and the American defence industry to keep ahead of the game if they don't use what they've got....then need replacements...

Business dontcha know.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Logic

Any reason for the United States to haul out its military hardware is absolutely kosher. How do you expect the Carlyle Group and the American defence industry to keep ahead of the game if they don't use what they've got....then need replacements...

Business dontcha know.

Totally agree with that statement, that is why i say, 2 suspected alqueada operatives means absotly nothing at all.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
2 suspected alqueada operatives, means absotly nothing at all.

Well those two operatives are certainly insignificant now. Seeing as they are probably in a few thousand pieces each...

At any rate they weren't worth the $100 or so of ammo we wasted on them. I hope they send the Somali government a bill for the bullets.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'm quite frankly suprised the U.S. military could find Somalia....

They can't find Osama bin what's his name....they don't have a clue who really killed Kennedy.... it took an entire fleet of American warships to find Granada....

I suppose in all fairness.... they're still looking for those huge stockpiles of WMD in Iraq and that's taken the best and brightest minds the United States of America has to offer....

Well coming from a country who's military seemed to miss a genocide happening right under there noses I could see how you would find it difficult.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As long as the intel is accurate. I could see the Ethiopian goverment branding an enemy of the Ethiopian goverment an Al-Qaida terrorist and let the US do the dirty work. Works for the Russians and the Chechen people.

Just by reading this post you seem to be absent of a clue. The Ethiopians have their boots on the ground which I am sure we will be paying for in some form or other. So they are doing our dirty work and we are providing some nice air cover.

Explain the Russian/Chechan thing. I really want to get your take on how these two events are similar.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Well those two operatives are certainly insignificant now. Seeing as they are probably in a few thousand pieces each...

At any rate they weren't worth the $100 or so of ammo we wasted on them. I hope they send the Somali government a bill for the bullets.

Sorry none of this, proved what us has done, was for the good, and notthing prove that those 2 suspected alqueada operatives, were really from alqueada.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
this is a typical news report of a military operation, and can be summed up as:

something may or may not have happened to someone who may or may not be bad, the consequences may be either good or bad. Be afraid, citizen, for you are a target.