SAS founder's son to try and halt break-up of the UK

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Archie Stirling, a millionaire landowner, the son of the founder of the SAS and the ex-husband of actress Dame Diana Rigg is setting up a new political party to prevent the break-up of the UK -

SAS clan calls for new fight to save the Union
By Andrew Pierce
04/01/2007

SAS soldiers in Afghanistan: the son of the deadly British regiment's founder is creating a political party to prevent the break-up of Britain

A new political party is being set up by a member of one of Scotland's most historic families to try to halt the growing bandwagon towards a referendum on the break-up of the United Kingdom.

Archie Stirling, a millionaire landowner, is due to unveil the cross-party movement next month in time to take part in the May elections for the Scottish Parliament.

The move comes at a time of growing alarm in Downing Street that the Scottish National Party may sweep to victory with a pledge to hold a referendum on independence.

Polls have shown that the Nationalists have a significant lead over Labour in the race to form the next government in Edinburgh. Gordon Brown fears that his first 100 days as Prime Minister could be overshadowed by a victorious SNP commitment to a referendum.

Mr Stirling, 63, a colourful character who was formerly married to the actress Dame Diana Rigg, is refusing to give any details of the party until next month's launch but confirmed that the working title was the Scottish Voice.

"We have been planning this for months in great secrecy, clearly not as much secrecy as I had hoped," he said last night. "This is vitally important. I would loath the Union to break-up."

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a copy of a seven-page confidential statement by Scottish Voice which puts the defence of the Union, and raising the quality of the Holyrood parliament, at the heart of its campaign. The statement lists the "failures" of devolution.

"Two-thirds of (Scottish) 14-year-olds fail national reading standards and half fail writing standards," it says. "One in four Scots working for the public sector. A crime committed every 78 seconds. The highest infant mortality in the western world. A £20 billion subsidy from England to keep us afloat. We anticipated excellence. We have been offered only ineptitude."

The document states: "Most Scots would like to improve government from Holyrood and keep the Union strong. The history of the Union is one of advantage to Scotland. Scottish culture is distinct from English culture, not hostile to it."

A steering committee will be announced next month of leading figures who, like Mr Stirling, have never been involved in politics.

Mr Stirling, a businessman, said: "I believe in the Union which is good for Scotland and good for England. But I also believe we need members of the Scottish Parliament who have a proven track record in running a business or organisation.

"The principles will recognise Scotland's nationhood, commitment to the Union, and innate potential of the Scottish people."

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited: