No welcome from Uncle Sam

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Notebook

By Cristina Odone

02/01/2007

America had the world's sympathies after 11th September 2001. But not now.

'We are all American now." NOT, as they say. Since Europe's heartfelt response to the events of September 11, the Bush Administration has squandered our goodwill. Bungles in Iraq and gas-guzzling habits at home are bad enough. We have also witnessed George Bush's casual attitude to extradition: when he showed not the slightest concern over the fate of the NatWest Three (the London businessmen who were extradited to the US on charges relating to a transaction with Enron Corporation in 2000 when they were working for the City of London firm) , or the political pressure his intractable position put on Tony Blair, or the rage of their Middle England supporters, Bush dealt a body blow to the Special Relationship.

Once again thumbing its nose at old allies, America now demands a licence to snoop on Britons and other Europeans. Buy your plane ticket over the internet, and you risk having Uncle Sam examine your other credit-card purchases; he can also read all the messages you sent and received on the email address you used. Oh, and know whether you ordered a vegetarian or kosher airline meal. You can almost hear the catchy new advertising jingle: Fly to America, and leave your civil rights behind.

Crossing the Atlantic is already an ordeal. I speak as someone who regularly flies to Washington DC, where my father has been seriously ill. My repeated entries, with my toddler (now a dab hand at seat-belt fastening, ear decompressing and joining the dots in the booklet in the children's freebie bag), have grown ever more exhausting and humiliating.

There is the milk-bottle test (Mummy holds her nose as she glugs Baby's milk to prove it's not toxic or explosive); the shoe removal (embarrassing exposure of hole in sock); the frisking (passenger behind you cracks lewd jokes); the thumb-printing ("Again!" barks the immigration officer. "Your thumb is too sweaty to be legible!"); the inquisition (often in heavily accented English); and then, just as you think you're clearing Customs, the random baggage search (bras, knickers and a medley of Baby Gap left in a jumble to rearrange). All this plus jet lag, queues and delays: feeling unwelcome, and not a little intimidated, you want to sue the Statue of Liberty for misrepresentation.

Concerns about national security are valid, and universal. But Fortress America would have rather more credibility if it weren't for the 1,125-mile border with Mexico, through which thousands of immigrants slip every day. Any criminal or would-be terrorist can cross into the States in this way; while Britons wishing to visit America have to undergo ever more sinister inspections.

The Land of the Free. NOT.

telegraph.co.uk

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
This is why despite being a 3 hr drive from the USA, I have never been there. Even in flying to Europe, Asia, and Australia I have avoided the states. I feel I haven't missed out on anything by not doing the states. My flight this weekend to Australia is taking the long route through Hong Kong, but at least no USA airport hassles.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
This is why despite being a 3 hr drive from the USA, I have never been there. Even in flying to Europe, Asia, and Australia I have avoided the states. I feel I haven't missed out on anything by not doing the states. My flight this weekend to Australia is taking the long route through Hong Kong, but at least no USA airport hassles.

That makes me sad. Because theres so much beauty here. I know things are crazy, I traveled to England this summer. But a little patience and planning makes it alot easier.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
That article is totally unfair. Completely bogus and merits absolutely no credibility.

Yes, the government of the USA may be making things difficult for certain people, but that is only a sad reflection upon the good people of the USA. It is not an actual reflection of our people. You have undoubtedly heard that Ophrah opened up a large school for girls in South Africa. You are most assuredly aware of other schools, hospitals, orphanages, clinics, and other charitable societies created and continually financed through donations made by hard working Americans.

Yes, it is true that certain illegal immigrants have been detained by the authorities. And unfortunately, this has largely been restricted to brown skinned illegals while white illegals are unfairly allowed to flourish without any legal impediments. Hopefully this will be corrected. But it should be noted that the USA still allows many, many thousands of legals to enter our borders every year so that people can advance themselves unlike their experiences at home.

Perhaps certain people are not getting a welcome wagon from Uncle Sam. But there can be no doubt that America's people still have open arms. And this is something the article fails to note.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
That makes me sad. Because theres so much beauty here. I know things are crazy, I traveled to England this summer. But a little patience and planning makes it alot easier.

To be honest I haven't finished exploring what Canada has to offer so the states have never been on my radar. Now that I am moving to Australia I will have a whole new country to start exploring. I have nothing against the states, it's just that it isn't on my agenda.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That article is totally unfair. Completely bogus and merits absolutely no credibility.

Yes, the government of the USA may be making things difficult for certain people, but that is only a sad reflection upon the good people of the USA. It is not an actual reflection of our people. You have undoubtedly heard that Ophrah opened up a large school for girls in South Africa. You are most assuredly aware of other schools, hospitals, orphanages, clinics, and other charitable societies created and continually financed through donations made by hard working Americans.

Yes, it is true that certain illegal immigrants have been detained by the authorities. And unfortunately, this has largely been restricted to brown skinned illegals while white illegals are unfairly allowed to flourish without any legal impediments. Hopefully this will be corrected. But it should be noted that the USA still allows many, many thousands of legals to enter our borders every year so that people can advance themselves unlike their experiences at home.

Perhaps certain people are not getting a welcome wagon from Uncle Sam. But there can be no doubt that America's people still have open arms. And this is something the article fails to note.
You have a valid point, Gopher. I have American friends and relatives and I love them all, but I cannot stand the US administration. And you guys keep voting duds and culls into office; just like the sheeple of Canada do..

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I have zero interest in entering the US. This is based solely on the actions and policies of the US goverment. While I do not hold the individual Americans responsible for the actions and policies of their goverment, we must not forget that the American goverment is a legally elected democratic one. Therefore the American people as a whole bear the responsibility for their goverment. America has always had a xenophobic and isolationist side. It just took a terrorist attack to manifest that side into public policy.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think it's a shame that people don't see all the beauty of this country just because of the government. I could never be a Republican or anything, but I have had a great time living down here and exploring a bit. I've met some really amazing people and they don't fit the negative stereotypes you see on tv despite their political leanings. My best friend down here is a Republican and the guy I'm seeing voted for Bush too. They are also really kind, intelligent, fair and compassionate people. I would never be able to describe them as isolationist or xenophobic.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Individually no Americans probably aren't. But 300 million of them together have those tendencies. From a foreigners point of view. In both world wars the states had to be dragged into the conflicts. It took being attcked by the Japanese and the sinking of the Luisitania. If Osama had not attacked NYC then Americans would have been happy with occasional retaliatory strikes against sponsor states. Americans respond well to natural disasters in other countries when asked for humanitarian aid but retreat behind their borders when asked to get involved with world political situations that they do not think is a direct threat to them.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Individually no Americans probably aren't. But 300 million of them together have those tendencies. From a foreigners point of view. In both world wars the states had to be dragged into the conflicts. It took being attcked by the Japanese and the sinking of the Luisitania. If Osama had not attacked NYC then Americans would have been happy with occasional retaliatory strikes against sponsor states. Americans respond well to natural disasters in other countries when asked for humanitarian aid but retreat behind their borders when asked to get involved with world political situations that they do not think is a direct threat to them.

I'm also a foreigner just so you know:) I'm Canadian.

I don't see how that's different from other countries. Is Canada chomping at the bit to solve the problems in the Middle East or send troops to Darfur to protect civilians? I wonder why the US is held to a different standard in that regard. They are always expected to play world police.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I am really disappointed when I see things like this....

It makes the writers seem stingy minded and insular - having no curiosity or concept of another country while demeaning and damning it utilizing their second hand knowledge which is usually cold porridge and cranky critics.

I beg those who think this way....puhleese do not visit.....the people of the U.S. could care less if you crossed
into the nation to spread your insecure insults.

Last edited:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Whereas the article goes completely overboard, if you get passed the emotional hoopla, there is an element of truth to it. US Customs officers can be downright nasty and intimidating. This isn't a post 9/11 phenomenon, it's been going on as long as I can remember.

I've seen nasty customs officers all over the world, but somehow, in the US, I just expect it. I have written to my Congressman and Senators about this. It's very dissapointing, first impressions they say last forever, and I would agree.

Being a customs officer isn't just another "job", it should be regarded as an "ambassador" to arriving immigrants and tourists. You can play by the rules and be nice about it at the same time.

On the other hand, receiving on average 1 million legal immigrants annualy should be enough to get anyone grumpy.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Before 9/11, crossing the border from here into Maine was easy and painless & most times,we were just waved on through. Now it's similar to trying to get into Area 51 and I will not go through that process again. The USA is a great country with great people, but one of the worst political systems anywhere[even worse than the one we currently have].