Unmasked: the veiled Muslim whose great grandmother was a suffragette

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
On Christmas Day, politically correct Channel 4 did an alternative Queen's speech in which, instead of having the much-loved Monarch, had a Muslim woman wearing a veil. It was shown at the same time as the Queen's speech was shown on BBC1 and Channel 3.

Ironically, the veiled woman's great-grandmother was a suffragette who fought for women's rights even though she wears clothing which many see as a sign of a woman being oppressed.

Muslim convert Elaine Atkinson has described non-believers as "rats in cages going round on a treadmill" of consumerism, and declares she would like to see Britain's pubs converted into mosques.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unmasked: the veiled white Muslim convert whose great grandmother was a suffragette

By NEIL SEARS
29th December 2006

Beneath the veil was Elaine Atkinson whose great-grandmother was, ironically, a suffragette who fought for women's rights in Britain at the beginning of the 20th Century

She was presented by Channel 4 as an authentic - but anonymous - voice of moderate British Islam.

And on Christmas Day the veiled woman described only as "Khadijah" was given a national televison platform for propagating her views in an "alternative Christmas message" designed to rival the Queen's.

She told viewers Jack Straw was wrong to criticise the veil, claiming concealing facial features "liberated" women.

But the Daily Mail can now unveil "Khadijah" - and reveal that she is in fact Elaine Atkinson, an English convert to Islam who travels the country working for a radical muslim group trying to take political control of Pakistan.

And despite her presentation by Channel 4 as a moderate, in the past the 38-year-old has described non-believers as "rats in cages going round on a treadmill" of consumerism, and declares she would like to see Britain's pubs converted into mosques.

Since going through an islamic marriage ceremony with a British-born muslim of Pakistani origin, Miss Atkinson - a fromer radical feminist - has become known as Khadijah Iqbal.

But her rejection of her English roots caused a rift with her family, which has a long history of military and police service.

Her great-grandmother was a suffragette, and her brother is currently serving as a soldier in Afghanistan, she claimed.

Atkinson, a mother of one, was approached by Channel 4 to give the controversial alternative Christmas message after the original veiled woman chosen, Khadija Ravat, a 33-year-old islamic teacher, withdrew because of negative publicity.

Channel 4 said it would be veiling her true identity, along with her face, to enable viewers to focus on her words instead of her personality.

But the story of her rejection of her traditional English background, and her determination to embrace radical Islam, is a fascinating one.

She was born in the army barracks town of Tidworth in Wiltshire in 1968, to father Brian Atkinson, then a crane driver at a military depot, and mother Gillian.

Suffragettes demonstrating outside Downing Street, circa 1910. Atkinson's great grandmother was a Suffragette

At the time the family was living in police accommodation, because her paternal grandfather Francis was a police constable in the war department.

Atkinson led a normal English childhood, and after being schooled locally without any contact with muslims, left the countryside for London and became a social worker.

But in 1996 she suddenly became interested in the koran, and started attending the Regent's Park Mosque in the centre of the capital.

Atkinson said: "Much to the shock and horror of my family and friends I embraced Islam.

"My friends, family and colleagues were very keen to express their negative views.

"I had always been known as a radical Feminist and had dutifully continued the family tradition of following in the footsteps of my great-grandmother, who was a suffragette.

"Much to my greatgrandmother ’s horror (if she were still here to express it) I was soon to discover that Feminism and Islam went together like oil and water.

"I realised Feminism promoted the very thing it protested against: oppression of women."

She would like to see every traditional British pub become a mosque

Atkinson went on, in an essay published on the Internet for fellow muslims: "When I see large numbers of non-believers I feel very sad for them as they remind me of rats or gerbils in cages going round and round on a treadmill, believing that they are fulfilling their sole purpose in life and reaching their true destiny (which is Argos).

"If only they could uncover their eyes and see the damage they cause themselves and to their children.
"I feel certain that if they were to have a tiny glimpse of what Islam could give them there would be Mosques on every corner instead of pubs."

Atkinson now lives with her husband Dr Zahid Iqbal, 38, who qualified as a doctor at Southampton in 1992, in a £350,000 three-bed house in Barking, east London. She abandoned her English name four years.
She works for the radical Minhaj ul Qur'an group from its UK base at a mosque in nearby Forest Gate - running a "sisters' group" for other female muslims, travelling the country making converts, and broadcasting on Asian local radio stations.

Minhaj ul Qur'an was established in Pakistan, but operates in 92 countries, and aims to convert the whole world in Islam.

In Pakistan the religious group has a political wing - the Pakistan People Movement - which boasts it is "actively working to establish an Islamic state in Pakistan" to ensure "muslims have an international voice and political power to relieve the ongoing oppression and subjugation of muslims around the world".

Atkinson - pictured in a rare unveiled moment when returning home from a shopping trip - last night refused to elaborate on her views.

Contrary to her claims of being moderate, at an Islamic conference in Sheffield this year Atkinson told fellow muslims it was morally wrong to listen to any sort of music, or to watch soap operas. She urged the conference to stop watching any television at all.

In a statement issued through Channel 4, Atkinson said last night: "Minhaj-ul-Quran is a spiritual movement which promotes peace and tolerance of other faiths. It is against all forms of extremism and radicalism whether religious or otherwise."

Atkinson's brother Howard Atkinson, 46, is a soldier. He was last night unvailable for comment - as were their parents, who have moved to Spain.

Atkinson last night insisted that she did enjoy listening to islamic music.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Turn Englands Pubs into Mosques? Ha, that'll be the day, the old lads stand, rally and wipe Islam off the face of England. A moderate she is not, lol. She does the Islamic faith more harm then good.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The folks at Channel 4 need a good slap in the head, a good kick in the arse and this veiled mouthpiece a life.
I've always believed in the power of words but a good whack always got more attention.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
LOL Tamarin, becareful you and Bear will end up being labeled a racist and have to join me in the "Racist Room" You think Blackies article is pandering read the following article: I believe this is another Example of White Apartheid, but then I'm a racist and a bigot.

Row over ethnic minority only swimming sessions for women and children

Add your view

How is it that taking a dip has become so complicated?

A council has been fiercely criticised for holding ethnic-minority only swimming sessions.
Wolverhampton City Council employs special life-guards and instructors for the sessions, which are open to the city's black and Asian residents only.
It claims the weekly periods are for women and children with "religious or cultural issues which would otherwise prevent them from taking part."
But furious pool-users say they amount to racial segregation and claim they are being prevented from using the pool - simply because they may be white.
The hour-long, Thursday evening sessions at Wolverhampton's Central Baths replace an aqua-aerobics session that was previously open to all.
They are financially supported by Kellogg's Swim Active programme, which has funded the installation of special blinds around the pool, designed to protect swimmers' privacy.
The special sessions started in November and run every Thursday evening. It is not known exactly how many people take part.
Yesterday, swimmer Leslie Waugh, from Walsall, said: "It's wrong. The council bangs on about integration but then does something like this. The women even have their own instructor and lifeguard brought in for the sessions and the regular workers have to leave."
Local councillor Malcolm Gwinnett said: "It's one thing to have an all-women session, that's fine. But it should be all women of whatever religion, not just one religion, which leaves everyone else out in the cold."
Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell said: "This seems to be exactly the sort of thing that creates division and resentment rather than bringing people together.
"I'd like to know what the logic behind this is. It sounds like a pretty bad idea to me and just the sort of thing that councils should not be doing."
A Wolverhampton City Council spokesman said complaints about the scheme had been received by reception staff at the baths.
She said: "It is one of the most ambitious schemes in the country and aims to tackle childhood obesity, engage the city's ethnic minority communities and work with children who fear water.
"An initial trial of eight weeks is providing an opportunity for women and children from ethnic minorities, who may not otherwise participate for cultural and religious reasons."
The Wolverhampton ethnic-minority swim sessions come after leisure centre in Croydon, South London, opened its pool to Muslims only for two hours every week.
Thornton Heath Leisure Centre insist that men wear shorts which hide the navel and extend below the knee. Women wear a swimming costume that covers their body from the neck down to the ankle. There are separate sessions for men and women.
In common with the Wolverhampton plan, the sessions were condemned by local people for encouraging segregation.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Sassylassie can I join the club? I could really speak my mind about these two articles but all it would do is add fuel to the fire.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm still miffed at Channel 4. Keep the vowel and change some consonants. If it was intended to be humorous - and it clearly wasn't - it might be acceptable. The station's a fifth column. A low, putrid, rat-tailed, scumridden, bugeaten, pussmouthed organization. Locals should do whatever they have to do to teach them a lesson. You have to have standards in a society, you have to expect others to meet them. If an organization in Canada stoops this low I want a piece of the action.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Mocking Christians is okay, having dialog on Muslims isn't. Didn't you get the leaflet? Sorry didn't mean to offend the weak wrist crowd.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"I feel certain that if they were to have a tiny glimpse of what Islam could give them there would be Mosques on every corner instead of pubs."

No way! I have all the respect in the world for Islam but I'm not willing to give up the good spirits for religion. Heck, in his time Mohammed did not require Arabs to give up liquor -- all he did was to tell them to give up wine but nothing else. Marmaduke Pickthall uncovered historical evidence that the prohibition was restricted to wine only as vodka and beer were used in cooking and dining among Arabi, Kavkaz, and Turkic peoples and were not probibited for many centuries thereafter.

Knowing as many British as I did over the years, they would rather give up cricket or futbol rather than the good old pub. And a raucous BRAVO to them for feeling that way!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Quick!!!! Somebody point out the Islamipholes and Cathopholes, I got my fly swatter, I'll gett'm, I just never seen one, so someones gotta show me what one looks like!!!

All sarcasm aside, ther are none of those in here, just people who are tired of watching as the libby left multicult mutalation machine marches across there country.

The blanket use of the "phobia" construct, is less then intellegent, it's being used demeaningly and unjustly.

People who see a way of life being denegrated and watch as groups give voice to those that would stifle their freedoms and values to further their own, are not "phobes" of any ilk(spend continuously "elk" by the smug and elitist asshats that feel if you ain't with them, your the enemy), they are common citizens, fearing the very future their children and grand children walk off into.

Those fears as substantial as they are, are not oft articulated well, and missunderstanding are inevitable, but that does not give anyone the right to label these people. It merely exposes the level of unaffected self righteousness these fingure pointing flip flops behold.

They think they are somehow more superior then those that point out the risks, because they seem themselves as the vanguards of a marginalized or subjugated society, when in fact these people are heading to the position of oppressor, all the while holding hands with the labelers, casting words on the generaly innocent public, like Islamaphobe, Cathephobe, Neo Con, fascist and so one. Never once looking inward and actually invisioning the outcome of their march or their rhetoric. This lack of self examination is the single most dangerous weapon, those that would opppress or subjugate the masses, have.

The unwitting banter of the elitist class. Ripe with smug self righteous indifference to actuality and compassion for those that fear their way of life will be lost.