Saddam was buddies with the U.S.A

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa

Saddam with Donald Rumsfeld in 1983. The United States backed Saddam Hussein during the Iran, Iraq war. Most Arab nations and the United States supported him with artillery and medical supplies during this time.
It wasn't until Saddam pushed oil-exporting countries to raise oil prices by cutting back oil production did the United States change there mind on him.
Meanwhile, Saddam showed disdain for the Kuwait-Iraq boundary line (imposed on Iraq by British imperial officials in 1922) because it almost completely cut Iraq off from the sea. For at least half a century, Iraqi nationalists were espousing emphatically the belief that Kuwait was historically an integral part of Iraq, and that Kuwait had only come into being through the maneuverings of the British. So what right did the United States have in getting involved in that war?
Saddam deserves to go to jail for life. But the US isn't so righteous. This isn't about human rights at all.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Saddam with Donald Rumsfeld in 1983. The United States backed Saddam Hussein during the Iran, Iraq war. Most Arab nations and the United States supported him with artillery and medical supplies during this time.

After everything that has been done in Iraq, from false claims of WMD to spreading democracy to people that didn't ask for it, I'm sort of hoping that someone helps Saddam escape. I know it's not what I should want ... after all ... he was a bad guy when ruling Iraq, but he's not much different than so many other bad guys that aren't sitting on a big bucket of oil.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The only difference between him and Bush is he was successful at keeping the fundamentalist nuts at bay.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Another difference is that Saddam was responsible for killing his own people,Iraqis, and the Bush family was responsible for killing Iraqi's but not their own people, except their soldiers.
But both were not elected by the people.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

It wasn't until Saddam pushed oil-exporting countries to raise oil prices by cutting back oil production did the United States change there mind on him.
Meanwhile, Saddam showed disdain for the Kuwait-Iraq boundary line (imposed on Iraq by British imperial officials in 1922) because it almost completely cut Iraq off from the sea. For at least half a century, Iraqi nationalists were espousing emphatically the belief that Kuwait was historically an integral part of Iraq, and that Kuwait had only come into being through the maneuverings of the British. So what right did the United States have in getting involved in that war?
Saddam deserves to go to jail for life. But the US isn't so righteous. This isn't about human rights at all.
This is old Gonzo, they were buds, all the way up to the day before Iraq invaded Kuwait.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
He was allies with the U.S back then, but you have to remember the u.s.s.r. was our communist cold war

enemy for many many years, so other countries who were at odds with u.s.s.r. were getting help from the

u.s. and probably us as well. When u.s.s.r. invaded afghanistan, the u.s. helped taliban, which was

successful to the

defeat of u.s.s.r. at that time, which made sense at that time.

The u.s. was enemies with Iran at that time, so, we all have to put ourselves back to that time and what

was going on, and relate to that.

Iran with the old religious leader, (can't spell his name) Attola "whatever", was a u.s. hater, took u.s.

hostages, caused havoc, so I can understand why the u.s. sided with Iraq.

Times change, countries and their leaders change, I am not a U.S. lover, but I am realistic and remember

how things were at that time.

The u.s. didn't just change friends and enemies for no reason at all, events of the time dictated the

action and reaction of other countries, that's just the way it goes, makes sense to me as I look back

to those times and remember the events.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
My point is that human rights don’t enter into it. Enemies were made because of political ideology and money. Oil control. Saddam is being charged with human rights, but if that’s all he ever did, no one would have gone after him and he wouldn't be on trial now. He wanted money and control of oil. That’s what got everyone after him. It's so hypocritical.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The Butcher of Bhagdad has been replaced by the Butcher of Pennsylvania Avenue.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
No. The US got after him first when he invaded Kuwait. Then saddam signed a treaty to stop Iraq from being obliterated. Then saddam reneged on this treaty by not allowing the UN inspectors to do thier job. Saddam wanted money and control of other countries,thier people and thier resources,and he didn't care how many he killed to get what he wanted.Those are facts not anti-america speculation. I am very thankful the states went after him as we all should be. He would have not stopped at Kuwait or Iran.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
My point is that human rights don’t enter into it. Enemies were made because of political ideology and money. Oil control. Saddam is being charged with human rights, but if that’s all he ever did, no one would have gone after him and he wouldn't be on trial now. He wanted money and control of oil. That’s what got everyone after him. It's so hypocritical.
Now I get ya, and you're right, It is quite hypocritical.

The Butcher of Bhagdad has been replaced by the Butcher of Pennsylvania Avenue.
No arguements here.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Now I get ya, and you're right, It is quite hypocritical.

No arguements here.

I just watched a report on CBC with an Iraqi Canadian and he said that this is a very holy time for Iraq and it makes no sense to execute him now. He also said that it really wouldn't make any difference whether he is executed in four years. He thinks the world should be more focused on helping the Iraqi people have services and care for their children. It all makes so much sense.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I just watched a report on CBC with an Iraqi Canadian and he said that this is a very holy time for Iraq and it makes no sense to execute him now. He also said that it really wouldn't make any difference whether he is executed in four years. He thinks the world should be more focused on helping the Iraqi people have services and care for their children. It all makes so much sense.
You'll get no arguements out of me on that issue.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, I heard some claptrap about wanting the execution to happen BEFORE the Muslim holidays (I do NOT know exactly which one it is but the Hajj happens now and so it is a pretty big one I'd figure)

Thing is, I think the actual period of the holidays has begun. It reminds me of that MEGA insulting flag, which was oferred up to "help Iraq forget the horrors of Saddam" or whatever, but was pretty much an Israeli flag with a little piece of yelow on it and the crescent and star replacing the Star of David- the paralell is the purported "intent", which when Occams Razor is applied to it, SURE looks like the ACTUAL intent was to rub it in the face of Islam wordwide.

And as I mentioned in another thread (and this posting is timely in that regard) the purported offense for which Saddam was "convicted" happened in 1982 and was no doubt carried out with US supplied munitions (and barring that, at LEAST American political support at the time, whether or not there was actual direct authorization is kinda unimportant for the point I'm makin, he was an ALLY)

I don't recall Stalin getting a death sentence after the world became aware of his actions in the years before (and heck, even during) WW2

The whole thing just REEKS in my view

And as for Kuwait- as far as I know, Iraq actualy sent some sort of diplomatic party to the US to let them know about the planned re-annexation of Kuwait and the answer was basically "go for it"- again, as nutty as Saddam was, if he'd had the notion that the US would jam it's giant armoured foot RIGHT up his butt, I really can't see the wisdom behind the move, Saddam might have been crazy-ish but he was NOT a stupid man

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
They'er going to hang him in a few hours. Seems like thats it.
Saddam Hussein went to war with Kuwait illegally; Bush went to war against Iraq illegally. Saddam killed Iraqi women and children, so did Bush. If Saddam hangs, Bush should be beside him swinging from a rope too.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Saddam wasn't executed. He was secretly taken away to a hiding place...

whoops...that starts tomorrow.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Next time your ass is in the fire,call on the Islamists.They will protect you and your daughters.Maybe not?? Remember Kuwait,remember Iran? Remember Silence of the lambs? We covet those that are closest to us.And then we will kill who ever we want.