Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/12/08/carter-israel.html

Canada
Canada's withholding funds from Palestinians 'criminal': Carter

Last Updated: Saturday, December 9, 2006 | 12:20 AM ET

CBC News

Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter says the decision by Canada and other nations to withhold money from the Hamas-led Palestinian government is "a crime."
Israel and western donors such as Canada have demanded Hamas renounce violence, recognize Israel's right to exist and accept past peace agreements. Hamas, which is committed to Israel's destruction despite its stated offer of a long-term truce, rejects the conditions.
"It's a crime against the people of Palestine," Carter told CBC News in an exclusive interview from New York.
"For Canada and others to punish the Palestinian people because they voted for their candidates of choice, I think is literally a crime."
The statesman and prolific author defended his harsh criticism of Israeli policy in his latest book, saying he hopes to erode the "impenetrable wall" that blocks the U.S. public from seeing the plight of Palestinians.
'Apartheid' questioned
Jewish groups have launched petitions criticizing Carter's use of the word "apartheid" — the system of legal racial separation once used in South Africa — to describe Israel's treatment of Palestinians.

"There is in many ways a much more serious deprivation of human rights among the Palestinians because of this ill-advised policy than even there was in South Africa," he told CBC News.
"I deplore the Palestinian suicide bombings as much or more than anything than I do what Israel has done against the Palestinian people. It's horrible on both sides and should be eliminated. But you have to look at the facts."
He said that by the time Hamas was elected in January, the Palestinian authority had already been brought to bankruptcy and couldn't pay police officers, firefighters and government employees.
Carter also said the Israeli response to the capturing of two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah last summer was "excessive beyond what was needed."
Carter, who has led efforts to monitor several elections in the Palestinian Authority since leaving office, said bringing peace to the Middle East is the most important commitment in his public life.
His top-selling book, Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid, has been criticized by pro-Israel groups and led to the resignation, announced this week, of Kenneth Stein, a Carter Center fellow and a longtime Carter adviser.
Carter's latest book has drawn stern rebukes from current Democratic leaders such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Democratic National Committee Chair Howard Dean.
"With all due respect to former president Carter, he does not speak for the Democratic party on Israel," Pelosi said in a statement.
Carter, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, said he intended the book to provoke debate on Israeli policy that has been stifled by the news media and others, who have been "almost unanimously silent," and lamented the lack of debate over Israeli policy in the U.S.
"It's almost a universal silence concerning anything that might be critical of current policies of the Israeli government," he said.
The book follows the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, starting with Carter's 1977-1980 presidency and the Camp David peace accord he negotiated between Israel and Egypt.

This is the guy who watched the hostages rot in Lebanon ... I think he should stick to his Habitat for Humanity work....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Carter is a quack, I wonder if the Liberal Forum members will have something to say about this smug yank tell us sovreign Canadians what we are doing wrong? Oh wait that only happens if it supports their views, and seeing as it was a Liberal cabinet that put them on the terrorist list, I guess we'll have to wait and be surprised.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Let me guess he's got a book due out soon? I don't want one cent of my tax dollars going to fund Hamas, if they need cash ask their brothers in the ME and the Arab world for money. Why should the west fund an organization that uses it's children, women and elderly as bombs. Not one cent.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If he had gone in Iran and everywhere else the warmongers wanted him to they'd still be trying to get out.

He's right. It's a bloody joke. Bush and Harper have sent the message out that democracy actualy meant squat. Bush was lying again - big surprise. How many ways can the neocons screw this up?

Carter's about the only guy south of the 49th that commands any respect on ME affairs.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If he had gone in Iran and everywhere else the warmongers wanted him to they'd still be trying to get out.

He's right. It's a bloody joke. Bush and Harper have sent the message out that democracy actualy meant squat. Bush was lying again - big surprise. How many ways can the neocons screw this up?

Carter's about the only guy south of the 49th that commands any respect on ME affairs.
How did Harper get into this?

Isn't it against International law to fund terrorist groups?

The Liberals listed them as such, Harper is only following the letter of the law?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Let me guess he's got a book due out soon? I don't want one cent of my tax dollars going to fund Hamas, if they need cash ask their brothers in the ME and the Arab world for money. Why should the west fund an organization that uses it's children, women and elderly as bombs. Not one cent.
Yes, let's give all our money to the people blowing up the women and children with bombs instead of the people defending themselves from religious aparthied invasion and the theft of all their natural resources...and their homes.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Real, actual, honest-to-goodness practicing capital "C" Christians really throw you for a loop, eh Walter?
Rent free. Real, actual, honest-to-goodness practicing capital "C" Christians are not anti-semitic.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Rent free. Real, actual, honest-to-goodness practicing capital "C" Christians are not anti-semitic.

No, they gloat over brown children in cages, they hate brown presidents, they get erections whenever the stock market goes in their favour and the US bombs the crap out of brown people...
Shall I go on?