Saudi Arabia black mails England?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Is there no end their their greed and power. I can't believe the Brits would consider dropping an investigation of corruption under threats, why don't they tell the Saudis to "Sod" off.

Halt inquiry or we cancel Eurofighters

By Christopher Hope, Whitehall Editor

Last Updated: 1:05pm GMT 01/12/2006

Saudi Arabia has given Britain 10 days to halt a fraud investigation into the country's arms trade - or lose a £10 billion Eurofighter contract.
The Saudi government is on the verge of cancelling the contract

The contract supports up to 50,000 British jobs and there are now fears that the deal may go to France.
The Saudi government is on the verge of cancelling the contract - an extension of one brokered by Margaret Thatcher 20 year ago - because of a Serious Fraud Office investigation into allegations of a slush fund for members of the Saudi royal family, according to authoritative sources.
Tony Blair has been told that the deal faces the axe in 10 days unless he intervenes to bring the two-year investigation to a close.
The Saudis are said to be "outraged" by the probe into the activities of companies linked to BAE Systems. The investigation concerns alleged illegal payments made to members of the Saudi royal family and their agents.
advertisement

The country's advisers have made clear through diplomatic channels that unless the inquiry is closed, the kingdom's arms business will be taken elsewhere.
The Saudis are understood to have already opened negotiations with the French about buying 36 rival Rafale jets.
The Daily Telegraph has learned that President Jacques Chirac has been to Saudi Arabia twice in recent months to offer full French co-operation on such a deal.
There has since been a series of meetings in Paris. Prince Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdul Aziz, the Saudi national security council secretary general, visited the French president on Wednesday of last week.
Last Monday, an envoy from the Saudi government is understood to have gone to Paris to confirm details of a potential new deal.
At stake is the future of the Al-Yamamah arms deal, Britain's biggest ever overseas defence contract. It is said to have been worth £40 billion to BAE Systems over the past 20 years.
Industry analysts estimate that the Government has benefited from a two per cent handling fee on that sum worth £800 million.
In 2002 a law was brought in to forbid British companies from offering bribes to third parties to secure business.
Mr Blair is being pressured to ask the Attorney General, Lord Goldsmith, to speed up the SFO's investigation to avoid the loss of the Saudi contracts.
Another prominent Cabinet minister is also thought to have approached the Attorney General about the case.
Lord Goldsmith is understood to have been warned that the flow of vital intelligence from the Saudi Government to the British secret services could be impaired following a break between the two governments over the contracts, thereby endangering national security, particularly during the war on terrorism.
However, friends of Lord Goldsmith maintain that he still feels compromised by the way in which he was pressured in 2003 to change his advice to the Government about the legality of the Iraq war.
He is said to be determined to ensure that on this issue no political pressure will be brought to bear upon him in deciding whether or not to bring prosecutions against any BAE Systems executives.
The renewed pressure on the Attorney General comes as the Foreign Office has been trying to smooth relations with the Saudis, with the British ambassador in Riyadh meeting representatives of the Saudi royal family last week-end.
There were early signs last night that a peace deal could be brokered, with suggestions that the UK Government has assured the Saudis that the investigation will be wound up "within a few months".
The Foreign Office today denied that any Government minister would even consider intervening in the inquiry.
A spokesman said: "The Serious Fraud Office is an independent Government department and part of the criminal justice system. Other parts of Government cannot and would not interfere in or prejudice its investigations."
BAE Systems denies that it has done anything wrong. A spokesman said: "We have always co-operated fully with the investigation. We are confident that we have done nothing wrong and we look forward to a swift conclusion."
The Conservatives declined to comment last night.
Norman Lamb, MP, the chief of staff to the Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell, said if anyone was leaning on the Attorney General that was "scandalous in the extreme". He added: "If you are going to pass anti-corruption legislation then you have to live with the consequences of it when the going gets tough.
"There cannot be any question of interference with a criminal investigation. The idea is abhorrent."

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I think you are confused Cortex, we are the offspring of the Saudis. It's not like we are calling the shots, we pander and bend to their every wim for OIL. Interesting enough Haliburton was fined around 8 million for the same thing that the Saudis are accused of but they paid their fine and sulked off counting their millions giggling all the way back to Head Office.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
W-A-N-K-E-R

Quote me....

I like how you wanker pussy ****s let pinochet go when chile threatened to cancel some military contracts---would of cost all lot of you pommy buggers your worthless jobs--oh well you can always go on the dole and head to torremolinos where you can try and sell some dope.

quick quick--firebomb me quick

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I like how you wanker pussy ****s let pinochet go when chile threatened to cancel some military contracts---would of cost all lot of you pommy buggers your worthless jobs--oh well you can always go on the dole and head to torremolinos where you can try and sell some dope.

quick quick--firebomb me quick

You seem to know the place quite well, why would I go to a shytehole like torremolinos?. Funny, I seem to recall the US (as well as the UK) selling weapons to iraq, iran and all manner of evil dictatorships.

You also fund murderous terrorists like the IRA, scum.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
well, it had to be said, he throws out all these random generalisations and doesnt expect a comeback?...come on...besides, he's been banned about four times already
I was being serious, I was just waiting for him to say something I could use it on, lol. C'mon Daz, you know I'm on your side here.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
The comeback from him was quite good actually, a little too good, he seems to know as much about the English as General_Wolfe or Blackleaf...I wonder if anyone's cared to check their IP's, I wouldnt be suprised if they were all the same person having a giggle.

yes, sorry, I get a bit frustrated with that felllow

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
The comeback from him was quite good actually, a little too good, he seems to know as much about the English as General_Wolfe or Blackleaf...I wonder if anyone's cared to check their IP's, I wouldnt be suprised if they were all the same person having a giggle.

You really must learn to control your emotions. As far as knowing you---what do you think double agents working for the NSA have to know about the country they are spying on?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

I know quite a lot about the English because I AM English.

If I'm English and I've been living here all my life I should know quite about about this great nation.

Although General Wolfe isn't English. He's Scottish.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
Actually Daz---Congratulations!

I have to admit you were the first to guess correctly that Cortez--cortex etc and Blackleaf are the same person.

Its a terrible burden---at once being superficially proud of my british heritage--but deep down inside--- knowing the shear brutality of our enterprise---ashamed . Self loathing---yes thats it --I am a self lothing Englishman but these two entities the self that is english and the self that loathes---could not sanely co-exist. And so Blackleaf and then cortez were born.

The only real fun ive ever had was in terremolinos and its surroundings--though every time i go the memories become fuzzier due to of course due to the available substances.

I suppose i feel cheated. Why is it every one else on the planet is happy except ourselves stuck here on this miserable island. why is it that to leave England is to be happy. One day i SHALL muster the courage to re settle in Canada and start anew--perhaps only then Illl be able to escape this unsufferable plight.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

I have to admit you were the first to guess correctly that Cortez--cortex etc and Blackleaf are the same person.

Its a terrible burden---at once being superficially proud of my british heritage--but deep down inside--- knowing the shear brutality of our enterprise---ashamed . Self loathing---yes thats it --I am a self lothing Englishman but these two entities the self that is english and the self that loathes---could not sanely co-exist. And so Blackleaf and then cortez were born.

The only real fun ive ever had was in terremolinos and its surroundings--though every time i go the memories become fuzzier due to of course due to the available substances.

I suppose i feel cheated. Why is it every one else on the planet is happy except ourselves stuck here on this miserable island. why is it that to leave England is to be happy. One day i SHALL muster the courage to re settle in Canada and start anew--perhaps only then Illl be able to escape this unsufferable plight.
On behalf of all Canadians cortex, I wish to welcome you to stay put please and thanx very much.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

If that is true, then possibly some professional help might very well be in order.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Why wont they let you be cortez or cortezz anymore then?...I like the way you generalise a whole race, moden PC nuts would suggest that could be classed as "racism", but of course, the British, particularly the English, are fair game to you arn't they.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
But to critisize oneself--is that racism?

What have you not enjoyed the tributes to our great poet---the pseudo shakespearean rantings of the spanish-mexican-latvian-canadian-english-led zeppelin-loving -being before you----what say you Horatio?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
But to critisize oneself--is that racism?

What have you not enjoyed the tributes to our great poet---the pseudo shakespearean rantings of the spanish-mexican-latvian-canadian-english-led zeppelin-loving -being before you----what say you Horatio?

I know a lot of people each can be described as at least one of your list, and none of them as bigger bigot as you.

perhaps you should consider whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outreageous fortunes, or take arms upon a sea of troubles.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
Ah you have missed the mark Daz.

Must you always remain a little man?

To openly hate the French--is that not bigotry---

You percieve the venom that comes from your/our isle--i merely reflect back a tiny fraction of it----and we get all twisted up about it

what are yeah a PC er ?

This brain skin grows paler as the dying embers of our spurious enterprise. No fear of life's finitude can penetrate this island of self delusion save to shift existences , morph into a shakespearean businessman selling the freshly chopped scalps of islamic children and women--un burkified and now quantified--well short of the sacred six million --but a fair tonnage of dead flesh. In the early years emerson or lake or palmer would have put this all to lyrics---as a merry glorious christmass song for choir, rock ensemble and drunkards---with this sword ---say the yuletide songs---all the more glaring as that choir tis composed of the fairer sex, blonde and blue eyed, the great great grand daughters of the Danish Invader-Rapists--which due to the ultra pale content---plus ultra pale--brainskin ----have wet their hands and somehow wiped them , smeared them upon the lovely satin gowns of the noble Gaul.

in other words---bigot yourself---na-na-na-na-naaa

Last edited: