I loathe America

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
and what it has done to the rest of the world.

I knew that the wave of anti-Americanism that would swell up after the Iraq war would make me feel ill. And it has. It has made me much, much more ill than I had expected.

My anti-Americanism has become almost uncontrollable. It has possessed me, like a disease. It rises up in my throat like acid reflux, that fashionable American sickness. I now loathe the United States and what it has done to Iraq and the rest of the helpless world.

I can hardly bear to see the faces of Bush and Rumsfeld, or to watch their posturing body language, or to hear their self-satisfied and incoherent platitudes. The liberal press here has done its best to make them appear ridiculous, but these two men are not funny.

I was tipped into uncontainable rage by a report on Channel 4 News about "friendly fire", which included footage of what must have been one of the most horrific bombardments ever filmed. But what struck home hardest was the subsequent image, of a row of American warplanes, with grinning cartoon faces painted on their noses. Cartoon faces, with big sharp teeth.

It is grotesque. It is hideous. This great and powerful nation bombs foreign cities and the people in those cities from Disneyland cartoon planes out of comic strips. This is simply not possible. And yet, there they were. Others have written eloquently about the euphemistic and affectionate names that the Americans give to their weapons of mass destruction: Big Boy, Little Boy, Daisy Cutter, and so forth. We are accustomed to these sobriquets; to phrases such as "collateral damage" and "friendly fire" and "pre-emptive strikes". We have almost ceased to notice when suicide bombers are described as "cowards". The abuse of language is part of warfare. Long ago, Voltaire told us that we invent words to conceal truths. More recently, Orwell pointed out to us the dangers of Newspeak.

But there was something about those playfully grinning warplane faces that went beyond deception and distortion into the land of madness. A nation that can allow those faces to be painted as an image on its national aeroplanes has regressed into unimaginable irresponsibility. A nation that can paint those faces on death machines must be insane. There, I have said it. I have tried to control my anti-Americanism, remembering the many Americans that I know and respect, but I can't keep it down any longer. I detest Disneyfication, I detest Coca-Cola, I detest burgers, I detest sentimental and violent Hollywood movies that tell lies about history.

I detest American imperialism, American infantilism, and American triumphalism about victories it didn't even win. On April 29, 2000, I switched on CNN in my hotel room and, by chance, saw an item designed to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam war. The camera showed us a street scene in which a shabby elderly Vietnamese man was seen speaking English and bartering in dollars in a city that I took to be Ho Chi Minh City, still familiarly known in America by its old French colonial name of Saigon.
"The language of Shakespeare," the commentator intoned, "has conquered Vietnam." I did not note down the dialogue, though I can vouch for that sentence about the language of Shakespeare. But the word "dollar" was certainly repeated several times, and the implications of what the camera showed were clear enough.

The elderly Vietnamese man was impoverished, and he wanted hard currency. The Vietnamese had won the war, but had lost the peace. Just leave Shakespeare and Shakespeare's homeland out of this squalid bit of revisionism, I thought at the time. Little did I then think that now, three years on, Shakespeare's country would have been dragged by our leader into this illegal, unjustifiable, aggressive war. We are all contaminated by it. Not in my name, I want to keep repeating, though I don't suppose anybody will listen.
America uses the word "democracy" as its battle cry, and its nervous soldiers gun down Iraqi civilians when they try to hold street demonstrations to protest against the invasion of their country. So much for democracy. (At least the British Army is better trained.)

America is one of the few countries in the world that executes minors. Well, it doesn't really execute them - it just keeps them in jail for years and years until they are old enough to execute, and then it executes them. It administers drugs to mentally disturbed prisoners on Death Row until they are back in their right mind, and then it executes them, too. They call this justice and the rule of law. America is holding more than 600 people in detention in Guantánamo Bay, indefinitely, and it may well hold them there for ever. Guantánamo Bay has become the Bastille of America. They call this serving the cause of democracy and freedom.

I keep writing to Jack Straw about the so-called "illegal combatants", including minors, who are detained there without charge or trial or access to lawyers, and I shall go on writing to him and his successors until something happens. This one-way correspondence may last my lifetime. I suppose the minors won't be minors for long, although the youngest of them is only 13, so in time I shall have to drop that part of my objection, but I shall continue to protest.

A great democratic nation cannot behave in this manner. But it does. I keep remembering those words from Nineteen Eighty-Four, on the dynamics of history at the end of history, when O'Brien tells Winston: "Always there will be the intoxication of power… Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

We have seen enough boots in the past few months to last us a lifetime. Iraqi boots, American boots, British boots. Enough of boots. I hate feeling this hatred. I have to keep reminding myself that if Bush hadn't been (so narrowly) elected, we wouldn't be here, and none of this would have happened. There is another America. Long live the other America, and may this one pass away soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2003/05/08/do0801.xml

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
They're not all that bad you know ITN.....

There are good and bad in all walks of life.

Now thats a few quotes you can cut out and keep on me!!!! :)

gearheaded1

Never stop questioning
Oct 21, 2006
Alberta
Wow.

You must be wearing your angry pants today.

Somehow, we must keep hope that rational thoughts will emerge, and some sense of stability will be established over the long term. Iran's invitation of Syrian and Iraqi presidents to Tehran today, actually gave me a little hope that Arab nations might figure out a way to help each other, and maybe not condemn the entire Western world.

Keep the faith, it's what sets us apart.

... and get a massage and a beer.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oh god - I thought Prince Charles perhaps had gone completely mad and taken up writing for the media........but I see it's only Margaret Drabble dribbling away. She writes with such emotional flourish cough cough.

No doubt she would not be surprised or upset to see the "boots" marching up to Windsor Castle while the bombs go off around her in London.... oh but she's well hidden in the countryside no doubt.

There you go Margaret - have a hot cuppa - it will be all right in the morrow.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I thought he flipped his lid too, then i thought about it and couldn't wait for the punch line, blah. Come to think of it, the language isn't really ITN's style either. Someone get that woman some Paxil.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Oh god - I thought Prince Charles perhaps had gone completely mad and taken up writing for the media........but I see it's only Margaret Drabble dribbling away. She writes with such emotional flourish cough cough.

No doubt she would not be surprised or upset to see the "boots" marching up to Windsor Castle while the bombs go off around her in London.... oh but she's well hidden in the countryside no doubt.

There you go Margaret - have a hot cuppa - it will be all right in the morrow.

Not every abstention from war results in an enemy marching into one’s territory. Sometimes you have to question who really is the one who takes it to the level of marching onto the other’s territory.

My eyes are open and I see where the bombing really continues on. Who really is doing all the dying.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
I think ITN's post takes real courage. And it serves more as a self reflection of things than self condemnation.

I haven't posted in a while. Perhaps the Democrat victories calmed my soul for at least a short while with a bit of hope towards the future. And though most importantly for Americans and the whole world in general, the aside would also be that if America starts getting back to where it was, Harper will seem more and more out of place in this day and age for Canadians to continue with also.

I've seen enough of that also. My cup overrunneth.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ahhhhh - a discussion on the gourmet aspects of Coke plus additives..... much easier to "digest" than Drabble!

Gee that would be a great name for a soda drink.... Drabble..."did you dribble your Drabble today? "

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Drabble wrote this damn thing three and a half years ago. Old news...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
. Come to think of it, the language isn't really ITN's style either. Someone get that woman some Paxil.

There are too many long, complicated words in the post for it to be written by an American.

It's obvious an English person wrote it.