Rights, Freedoms and the responsiblity of all to them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Many groups stand and cry fowl when they see "Rights and Freedoms" being supposedly eroded by governments.

Many cry "but it's my right" to do or say whatever.

This may be true. But that does not make it right.

Rights and freedoms come with great, no, grave responsiblity.

Just because one has the right or freedom to say or do, does not make it right do just say or do at will. Some where along the way we've lost that sence of self discipline to measure ourselves or weigh the options as to our best course of action. Some measure of self control would be appropriate.

Example, A British news caster, claims he is being coersed to wear a Poppy. He claims he wears one in his private life, but refuses to wear one on TV. Now this is his right, as is his right to claim he is the victim of Poppy fascism. Now lets weigh the issue. If he wears one as a citizen, then why make a stink about wearing one on TV? Yes he has the right to do so, but why enforce that right, just because he can? Is that not the same as a 4 year old crying "you're not the boss-o-me" type mentallity.

Where have we strayed?

We have the right and freedom to do so much, yet we pick the wrong battles to fight, we chose to envoke our rights simply because we can, not because an injustice is taking place. Perhaps our parents failed to instill the value of rights and freedoms in us as we were young and that has left us void of the ablity to weigh the difference between a true injustice to our rights and percieved injustice to our rights.

Take for example, a parent in a mall with an unrulely child. That child is running amok. That child runs into you and you look down and say "excuse me?" The child looks at you sticks out their tongue and gives you the fingure. You scold the child for this act without being cruel or using vulgarity. The parent of the child comes to the rescue of their off spring with "How dare you discipline my child, what gives you the right?"

A few things have happend here. First, what gives the right to the real victim here? For starters, the parent has failed to keep control of their child, as well it is obvious that the child has not been tought to respect the rights of others, or to give people respect. A simple "I'm sorry ma'am", would have ended this situation without prejudice.

What has the child learned?

Two things, firstly, no one has the right to correct them, secondly that they are not accountable for their actions.

Now today, we remember those that paid the altimate price for those rights we all care so much about, but take no responsiblity to ensure their propper use. Rights and freedoms, do not come cheap and they certainly are not something one should take lightly as they flaunt them around.

Last edited: