Will Hussein's Sentence be Carried Out?

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
I am not entirely surprised at the verdict, nor the sentence, What did surprise me was that the trial was ablt to reach its conclusion. I was sure that extremists would have rescued him, one way or another.

That said, do you think the death sentence will actually be carried out? Personally, I feel that it would be unlikely.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I am not entirely surprised at the verdich, nor the sentence, What did surprise me was that the trial was ablt to reach its conclusion. I was sure that extremists would have rescued him, one way or another.

That said, do you think the death sentence will actually be carried out? Personally, I feel that it would be unlikely.

Saddam's defiance to put up a defense was a stalling tactic in the hope the place would turn into chaos and he would be freed. He gambled and lost.

I have no doubt the sentence will be carried out.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm pretty confident that the sentence will be carried out, I think a lot Iraqi's want closure to his reign.

Here's a bit of text regarding the appeal process:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/dujail.saddam/index.html

Within 10 days, the court will forward the cases of Hussein and three other defendants to the appellate chamber of the Iraqi High Tribunal. Appeals of death penalties and life sentences are automatic.
Within 20 days after the appeals are made, the prosecution and the defense must submit their documents to the appellate chamber.
A court official told The Associated Press the appeals process was likely to take three to four weeks once the formal paperwork was submitted.
However, there is no time limit for the appellate court to rule on the appeal.
Once the court does reach a decision, if the sentences are upheld, they must be carried out in 30 days.

Last edited:

The Project Man

Liquer'd Up & Lash'n Out!
Aug 22, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just a formality.

The court case was just a legal and technical speed bump. If it were not for the photo-journalist with the troops when they grabbed him the sentence would have been carried out long ago.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Personally I could care less about the verdic, and sentence.

He did some awful things, but its not like he is the only one who does awful things, live or die he already did his deeds killing him wont stop the past. Personally he should suffer like he made his victims suffer, throw him in a jail feed him once a day and dont let anyone visit him, he can be dead to us, while made to suffer on earth untill he dies. Lethim live a non-human exsitance, let him feel locked up nand opressed. Switch the tables, and then let him die.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
eastside,

isn't there a saying about not chasing monsters lest you become a monster? another is "eye for an eye leaves everybody blind".

Nothing done to SH will change the past, but it will shape the future. A future not any different from that past should suffering and death be so willingly and easily handed out by those seeing themselves as "morally justified".

Namdrib

Nov 6, 2006
Of course hanging him would not bring back any of the people he has killed - but neither would keeping him incarcerated so I think that is a flawed argument.

Hanging will provide some "closure" for the families of the people (Iraqis, Iranians, Kurds, Kuwaitis et al) that he has killed as well as providing some closure for the nation of Iraq a sa whole. It also ensures that he will never be "rescued" and rise to power in any context ever again.

Part of me thinks he should be skinned and hung in a public square, made to leap from a building with his hands and feet tied, thrown into a chipper or one of the many other methods he used upon his numerous victims. Perhaps that might serve as a deterent to others who might follow in his footsteps. But the rational part of me says hanging is probably the most socially acceptable way for him to go.

I am generally opposed to the death penalty but think SH's case is an exception.

And just think.... all SH had to do was fully and freely comply with 1441 and he would've been left in power indefinitely. Just something to ponder.....