Saddam Hussein verdict

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Apparently Hussein wants to argue that he didn't have time to defend himself. As has been pointed out his tactics were to not participate so that all seems to be a moot point.

When all is said and done though was the verdict going to be anything but guilty? Would a judge let him go? I don't know if it was possible to get a "fair" trial under the circumstances, even if the decision was correct.

A big coincidence this happens two days before the mid-term elections. Anyone buying lottery tickets in Congress?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think this is much of a surprise. I would say though, that if a fair trial was held in Saudi where they behead a few dozen citizens every month, you can bet that a few of the Saudi royal family might be found guilty as well.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They should have summarily convicted him & exectuted him immediately instead of putting on the circus of a trial, that way they would have avoided lawyers & judges getting killed.. him being found guilty was guaranteed regardless.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Perhaps the Hague would have been a better venue for this trial. I fear no matter what though, this will not end well.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
I agree the Hague would have been a better means to try him. However that may have publicized globally the weapons sales he used to commit any war crimes. Weapons that even the USA supplied.

The other irony I find in all this is that Hussein is going to hang because he was toppled by another guy who has now created the consequence of even a greater number of Iraqi deaths than he himself committed. And yet there is no stability, the people are suffering more, and on top of greater political corruption. At least we saw 'palaces' as to where the money went with Hussein. Unlike the billions in oil revenues that suddenly disappear.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I agree the Hague would have been a better means to try him. However that may have publicized globally the weapons sales he used to commit any war crimes. Weapons that even the USA supplied.

The other irony I find in all this is that Hussein is going to hang because he was toppled by another guy who has now created the consequence of even a greater number of Iraqi deaths than he himself committed. And yet there is no stability, the people are suffering more, and on top of greater political corruption. At least we saw 'palaces' as to where the money went with Hussein. Unlike the billions in oil revenues that suddenly disappear.
Absolutely, I think we shall never have those questions answered, the corruption is way to deep.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A big coincidence this happens two days before the mid-term elections. Anyone buying lottery tickets in Congress?

The trial was conducted by the Iraqis and has nothing to do with the Americans or British.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's not believable.
I'm with Kreskin on this one.

But, even if it was held on Mars by the intergalactic council of Moonbats, would ther still be the inferrence of American control?

I fear this will result in some serious backlash.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's not believable.

Iraq is now a democracy with its own elected government. It's a free country.

But even if the trial wasn't fair, why does it bother you? Are you an admirer of Saddam?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
IRAQIS CELEBRATE THE COURT'S VERDICT

In Basra, as elsewhere, gunfire echoed across the city as Iraqis marked the arrival of a long-awaited verdict.
-----------------------------------

In Najaf, men celebrated by burning an effigy of the former Iraqi leader, who is due to be hanged for his crimes.
----------------------------------

In Baghdad's Shia enclave of Sadr City people flooded onto the streets, some dancing, others riding on top of cars.
-----------------------------------

In Baghdad soldiers patrolled the city amid fears of violence from the former leader's Sunni Arab supporters.
------------------------------------

But some in the capital broke a city-wide curfew to express their joy.
-------------------------------------

In Basra, as elsewhere, gunfire echoed across the city as Iraqis marked the arrival of a long-awaited verdict.

news.bbc.co.uk

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Applying common sense in an objective manner does not automatically make someone an admirer of Saddam. But if you believe the US had no influence on this court I have a tropical paradise to sell you on Baffin Island.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Applying common sense in an objective manner does not automatically make someone an admirer of Saddam. But if you believe the US had no influence on this court I have a tropical paradise to sell you on Baffin Island.

Are you selling time shares Kreskin?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Iraq is now a democracy with its own elected government. It's a free country.

But even if the trial wasn't fair, why does it bother you? Are you an admirer of Saddam?
Blackleaf, you have me right confused. You come off as a strong anti American, yet you think that the Iraqi court had no American influence?

I thought you would have seen through, what you may have percieved as a fasaud?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm with Kreskin on this one.

But, even if it was held on Mars by the intergalactic council of Moonbats, would ther still be the inferrence of American control?

I fear this will result in some serious backlash.

Yeah. Just think of all those millions of Iraqis who will be sooooo disappointed that their former dictator who killed thousands of their friends, families and fellow countrymen will be executed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah. Just think of all those millions of Iraqis who will be sooooo disappointed that their former dictator who killed thousands of their friends, families and fellow countrymen will be executed.
Oh no, I do understand that, but I still have sinking feeling that this may be used by the extremists as an excuse or propoganda to rally the troops as it were to there cause.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain welcomes the decision

He's gonna swing

The UK government has welcomed the conviction of the former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein for crimes against humanity by a Baghdad court.

Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett, said all the defendants were being held to account for their crimes.

Shadow Foreign Secretary William Hague said the verdict should be "respected".

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell warned that executing the former leader could make him a martyr and he should be imprisoned for life.

Iraqi decision

Mrs Beckett said: "I welcome that Saddam Hussein and the other defendants have faced justice and have been held to account for their crimes.

"Appalling crimes were committed by Saddam Hussein's regime. It is right that those accused of such crimes against the Iraqi people should face Iraqi justice.

"Today's verdict and sentences by the Iraqi Higher Tribunal come at the end of a trial during which evidence has been offered and challenged in the full glare of media scrutiny."

The verdict and sentencing of Saddam are a matter for Iraqi law and the Iraqi people

Shadow Foreign Secretary William Hague

Home Secretary John Reid said the UK should respect the Iraqis' decision.

Mr Reid said: "It [the verdict] was an achievement for Iraq and an ultimate expression of their own sovereignty."

He added that they are "masters of their own destinies".

Shadow Foreign Secretary William Hague said: "We congratulate the Iraqi courts on reaching a verdict in such difficult circumstances, and the bravery shown by judges and witnesses in the face of severe violence and intimidation.

"The verdict and sentencing of Saddam are a matter for Iraqi law and the Iraqi people, but they deserve the support of the international community in ensuring that the decisions reached by the court are respected."

He would not be drawn on whether he agreed with the death penalty decision.

Margaret Beckett said his regime committed "appalling crimes"

He said: "It is a sovereign decision taken by a sovereign nation, it is the ultimate expression of the sovereignty of Iraq."

He added that it was a decision "which all of us should respect".

Liberal Democrat Leader Sir Menzies Campbell said: "The conviction of Saddam Hussein will being relief to countless Iraqis whose lives have been blighted by the enormity of his behaviour.

"But it will not bring back the many thousands who perished while he ruled their country.

"His martyrdom can only add to the instability and unrest in Iraq. He should be detained for the rest of his natural life."

Anas Altikriti, the British Muslim Initiative spokesman, said the "sad reality" was that the verdict could mean the Iraqi people would "never have their day in court".

THE VERDICTS

Saddam Hussein, former Iraqi president: found guilty and sentenced to death
Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, Saddam Hussein's half-brother: found guilty and sentenced to death
Awad Hamed al-Bandar, Chief Judge of Revolutionary Court: found guilty and sentenced to death
Taha Yasin Ramadan, former Iraqi vice-president: found guilty and sentenced to life in jail
Abdullah Kadhem Ruaid Senior Baath official: found guilty and sentenced to 15 years in jail
Abdullah Rawed Mizher, Senior Baath official: found guilty and sentenced to 15 years in jail
Ali Daeem Ali, Senior Baath official: found guilty and sentenced to 15 years in jail
Mohammed Azawi Ali, Baath official: acquitted

"If he was indeed executed before the Iraqi people could find out what really happened over the last 30 or 40 years that would be another great tragedy," he said.

Scottish National Party (SNP) leader Alex Salmond - a longstanding critic of the government's military campaign - said it was a "very understandable verdict given the terms of the court".

Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said there had been concerns about whether Saddam would receive a fair trial in Iraq "given the sectarian tensions that are rife".
"We stated at the outset we preferred for him to be tried in an international court," he added. "There will be many in the Muslim world who will be asking when those responsible for launching the calamitous war in Iraq, in which tens of thousands on innocent people have died, will also be brought to justice."

news.bbc.co.uk

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Perhaps the Hague would have been a better venue for this trial. I fear no matter what though, this will not end well.

I agree with pretty much everything you've posted here.

I do think the sentence is justified (even someone like me who is generally against te death penalty can see that). I do worry it will be just one more cause for his supporters to rally around though.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I agree with pretty much everything you've posted here.

I do think the sentence is justified (even someone like me who is generally against te death penalty can see that). I do worry it will be just one more cause for his supporters to rally around though.
Of all the people to find justification of the sentence, I never thought I would see you on the capital punishment band wagon. Wow. I still think highly of you though,lol.