Finally, respectability

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
People who have been warning about global warming for the last few years and getting ridiculed are getting a bit of respite because several world leaders have finally woke up and admitted that the problem is real.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/10/30/climate-cost.html

Calling for "bold and decisive action," British Prime Minister Tony Blair has endorsed a new report that warns failure to act on climate change could trigger a worldwide economic slowdown along the same level as the Great Depression.
Written by former World Bank economist Sir Nicholas Stern at Blair's request, the 700-page report was released on Monday.
Speaking about the Stern review into climate change at the Royal Society in London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair called for bold and decisive action.
(CBC)
"Our actions over the coming decades could create risks of major disruption to economic and social activity later in this century and in the next, on a scale similar to those associated with the great wars and the economic depression of the first half of the 20th century," says the report.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Its not that we Ridcule Global warmming...its the theroy that we choose to follow about Global warmming.

Is it Natural Earth rotation, and change....or is it due to Polution?

Those are the theroys we have. The ones who think its just polution are the fools. There use to be dinosaurs and Ice Ages and many things with Climate change.....Green hOuse gasses raise and decrease, to cause the change, along witht he tilting of the earth axis....Global warming is natural.. not a human caused issue.

Non the less it will effect Humanity, ethier theroy will agree on that, but which theroy do we follow to get a correct outcome?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Its not that we Ridcule Global warmming...its the theroy that we choose to follow about Global warmming.

Is it Natural Earth rotation, and change....or is it due to Polution?

Those are the theroys we have. The ones who think its just polution are the fools. There use to be dinosaurs and Ice Ages and many things with Climate change.....Green hOuse gasses raise and decrease, to cause the change, along witht he tilting of the earth axis....Global warming is natural.. not a human caused issue.

Non the less it will effect Humanity, ethier theroy will agree on that, but which theroy do we follow to get a correct outcome?

Global warming is no longer a theory. It is a very real danger that has to be addressed. The main greenhouse gas, CO2, has been on the rise since the industrial revolution. Thank God there are people like Sir Nicholas Stern. Thank God real scientists are now starting to stand up and clear away the crap that the Bush administration has been putting out.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

These are the largest emmitters of greenhouse gasses.

We can see that the U.S. is by far and away the biggest poluter followed by Russia and China. The EU were second over all but most countries in the EU are Kyoto signers who will lower their emmissions. I suspect the U.S., Russia , and China will be the problem since the three of them produce as much CO2 as all the rest combined.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Global warming is no longer a theory. It is a very real danger that has to be addressed. The main greenhouse gas, CO2, has been on the rise since the industrial revolution. Thank God there are people like Sir Nicholas Stern. Thank God real scientists are now starting to stand up and clear away the crap that the Bush administration has been putting out.
I know I regonize it is real, but there are two reason/theroys to what is causeing it.!!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There were all kinds of theories out there, but human caused polution is the cause of rising CO2 levels and global warming.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Believe me folks... in 100 years when everyone in this forum is long gone our great grand kids will still be freezing their butts off at the School Bus Stop from November to March (depending on their geographic location of course).

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
That is a very stupid comment.

Didn't anyone see the effects of Global Warming Last year:

(1) More disasters

(2) Warming of the planet

Or another Ice Age that is what Global Warming is, it either cools or it warms the planet.

So in a 100 years your great-great grandchildren would be in the middle of a freezing cold ice age, because of inaction.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Believe me folks... in 100 years when everyone in this forum is long gone our great grand kids will still be freezing their butts off at the School Bus Stop from November to March (depending on their geographic location of course).

Speak for yourself I plan on living well into the 22nd century. :D

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Call it what you will. The earth's climate is going to change as it has always changed. If every human on this planet was to dissapear tomorrow the climate would go on changing as it has been for billions of years. There will be Ice Ages, there will be earth quakes, floods, tidal waves, tornadoes, volcanoes, hurricanes.

You can't stop it baby so get in your SUV and drive! :p

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Tuesday, April 25, 2006

WORLD OPINION ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING: Americans, Kenyans, S. Africans, Nigerians, and Chinese Most Skeptical About Seriousness of Problem

A poll of 30 countries from around the world finds that a large majority of people in all countries polled believe that climate change or global warming is a serious problem (click on graph for larger image). No country has more than one in five saying it is not a serious problem. Across all countries, on average 90 percent say that �climate change or global warming, due to the greenhouse effect� is a serious problem.

Yet among the thirty countries, the U.S. exhibits the strongest levels of lingering skepticism. Only three countries have less than eight in ten endorsing the view that GW is a serious problem (the US 76%, South Africa 72%, and Kenya 65%). In no country do more than one in five say that climate change is not a serious problem. Across the thirty countries, on average only 8 percent say it is
not serious. The highest percentage was found in the US (21%), followed by Kenya (19%), China (17%), and Nigeria (16%).

Americans, the biggest producers of greenhouse gas are most skeptical. Somehow that is not surprising.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Americans, the biggest producers of greenhouse gas are most skeptical. Somehow that is not surprising.

What's even more surprising is that Canadians per capita are worse polluters than Americans.

Just thought I would throw that in there since you never bothered mentioning it. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What's even more surprising is that Canadians per capita are worse polluters than Americans.

Just thought I would throw that in there since you never bothered mentioning it. :D

Throw all you want. The U.S. pollution spreads right to S.E. Asia where it killed three or four million civilians. And to Iraq where it killed a hundred thousand or so. I just thoght I would throw that in there.:D

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I realize #juan you can NEVER make a point without smearing the US over something or another, but seriously this has reached the point of banality even for you. Canada is the second largest polluter per capita after Luxembourg. Roll that around your mouth.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You know, first people were claiming, global warming isn't happening. Then they acknowledged global warming, but debate our own impact. Now people are saying that the global climate is prone to cyclical changes.

That is true, but according to many climatologists, we should at this point based on historical oscillations be in a cooling trend. But the Earth isn't cooling, it's warming. The cause is undeniable. If you were to superimpose a graph of CO2 emmisions over a graph of average global temperatures, you would see an obvious correlation.

We don't even have to wait 100 years before we see the dramatic effects of global warming. It's happening now. Island nations in the Pacific are allready relocating citizens, glaciers are in sever recession, buildings on the permafrost are sinking, and the ice caps are receding every year. Worse still, the land locked ice on Greenland and Antarctica is melting and running into the oceans. Gloabl warming may only average small incements of change, but that fact is exasperbated by the global transfer of heat to the poles, which turns into 3,4, or 5 degrees. Couple that with the Ozone holes we made long ago, and you have severe changes. The melting ice also increases the open area of water, which allows more sunlight to be absorbed, rather than bouncing off the ice. This melting water should be especially concerning to us all. No one knows for sure what will happen to the global ocean conveyor, but many scientists are now of the opinion that this is waht has caused the large scale ice ages in the past. Call it a feedback loop between high temperatures and ice ages. This can also be clearly seen by looking at the "trends".

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Throw all you want. The U.S. pollution spreads right to S.E. Asia where it killed three or four million civilians. And to Iraq where it killed a hundred thousand or so. I just thoght I would throw that in there.:D

Ahhhhh... well there you have it folks. Another well thought post.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's useless to point fingers here, because you know what, we're all down wind and down stream from someone else.