First picture of British Muslim cop who refused to guard Israeli Embassy

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Muslim cop, Police Constable Omar Basha, caused a storm in Britain a few weeks ago by managing to be excused from guarding the Israeli Embassy in London on "moral grounds. "

First picture of Muslim PC who caused a political storm

By BEN TAYLOR and LAURA ROBERTS
26th October 2006

PC Alexander Omar Basha

This is the first picture of the Muslim police officer excused from guarding the Israeli embassy on "moral grounds" after he expressed concerns over the bombing of Lebanon.

PC Alexander Omar Basha, 24, triggered a political storm when he was moved from his duties as part of Scotland Yard's Diplomatic Protection Group.

For the last three weeks, PC Basha has been living at a safe house in London after being granted special leave.

He was transferred from his post at the height of the war between Israel and Lebanon during the summer because of fears that his Lebanese relatives could be targeted if he was seen on TV.

It later emerged that PC Basha, 24, whose 20-year-old wife Dania is Lebanese, had his marriage "blessed" by preacher of hate Omar Bakri Mohammed - whose stepsister is Dania's mother.

Bakri conducted the service while under surveillance by Special Branch officers and MI5 amid fears he was inciting young Muslim men to commit atrocities.

Yard chief Sir Ian Blair is currently carrying out an inquiry into PC Basha's case - which provoked a fierce debate about political correctness in the Metropolitan Police.

There are claims that Muslim officers are being treated differently by Yard chiefs.

Yesterday Sir Ian urged politicians to avoid stirring up disorder in the debate about whether Muslim women should wear the veil.

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner warned that "too many pronouncements from too many people" were not helping to defuse the row.

Bakri - preacher of hate and Al Qaeda sympathiser who was thrown out of Britain for justifying terrorist attacks against the country - blesseds PC Basha's marriage

However, Sir Ian also said that "dire warnings" of civil unrest were equally unhelpful.

The row over veils was sparked earlier this month when House of Commons leader Jack Straw said he asked Muslim women to remove their veils when they visited his constituency surgery.

It was intensified by the case of teaching assistant Aishah Azmi, of Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, who was suspended for refusing to remove her veil in the classroom.

Speaking at the Metropolitan Police Authority, Sir Ian said: "We just need to hold our nerve a bit and stop too many pronouncements from too many people.

"Some of the very dire warnings that have been given are not particularly helpful either. We need to keep things very steady to be able to police a liberal democracy in very troubled times."

In a separate development, Sir Ian was also criticised over a decision to use the word "British Muslim" in a police document to describe a terrorist plotter.

The force used the headline "British Muslim Plotted Mass Murder in Terror Atrocities" about Dhiren Barot in its Operational Good News summary to authority members.

Barot, 34, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to murder earlier this month at Woolwich Crown Court, after admitting plotting to murder people in terrorist outrages on both sides of the Atlantic.

But two MPA members criticised Sir Ian's force for using the phrase "British Muslim". Sir Ian said he agreed with them about the phrase and said it must have been "lifted" from somewhere.

"It should have been checked," he admitted. "I do agree with you."

However, Sir Ian later issued a statement in which he denied that he had now banned the use of the term as a result.

It follows a similar row earlier this month over whether the force had banned the use of the word "yobs" from police documents for fear of alienating young people.

Reader's comments

This is the result of wasting £450m of our money !

- Mick, Orpington
------------------------
What a joke. I think I will tell my boss that I can only do certain duties due to my religious beliefs.

- Steve Lee, marbella, spain
------------------------------
As a tax payer I am fed up to the back teeth of paying out for people who enter professions which they know full well they cannot commit to.

- Al, Northampton - England

dailymail.co.uk

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
to me it's easy..If you can't do the job..on whatever grounds, you find a new job.. What if him Iman says Mr. Rushdie should die should he then step aside if he sees a contract killer going towards him??

Police forces are semi military..you do what you are told or you are arrested, it's the way to make the force work...It is not up to the individual cop to decide things, he is bound to uphold the law..not make the law.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
to me it's easy..If you can't do the job..on whatever grounds, you find a new job.. What if him Iman says Mr. Rushdie should die should he then step aside if he sees a contract killer going towards him??

Police forces are semi military..you do what you are told or you are arrested, it's the way to make the force work...It is not up to the individual cop to decide things, he is bound to uphold the law..not make the law.

Two Words

FIRE HIM

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
darn colps, I thought this would have been where you could talk about how multiculturalism does not work.

In the "good old days" where everybody in a culture lived (or pretended publicly to live) under one worldview, the answers were so simple. As we now are in a period of transition from this "old world" to the "new world" many cases like this will occur that put personal and "national" beliefs at odds. In a perhaps 300 years or so this little bump will not have seemed so bad. We do need to look longer term on these issues to find the lasting solutions. We can't just try to retreat to a idealized past.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Well maybe he could get a job with the french peacekeepers down there in Lebanon..I read somewhere that the french aren't doing **** , as usual, to stop any of the influx of weapons from Syria and Iran, but did say they "might" have to fire on Israeli overflights of Beirut.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yep, and I really hate to follow the pack, but I can not argue with common sence. Fire him. period.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Fire his sorry ass! Maybe deport him if he isn't British born. All of us have to start standing up to this kind of crap. If you do not follow the rules set out then get out!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yep fire his sorry ass, he took an oath when he became a Police Man and he broke his word. Politics has no business in Policing, none. I'm not surprised that England is having problems, there is a very bad situations brewing over in the motherland and the PC crowd won't let the public speak for fear that they might offend the offending parties.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Why fire him? So he has morals. Isreal was bombing the ****e out of his people! If Canada was bombed to the ground would you guard the embassy who was doing the bombing?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Why fire him? So he has morals. Isreal was bombing the ****e out of his people! If Canada was bombed to the ground would you guard the embassy who was doing the bombing?

Hi Gonzo!

I've been waiting for you!

Well, not you specifically, but for someone to make the argument you just did........

So, you think the police officer in Toronto who was fired a couple of years ago for refusing to defend abortion clinics and those going to get abortions was unjustly treated, right?

Or is it only people that agree with you that have morals?

You see where this leads.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hi Gonzo!

I've been waiting for you!

Well, not you specifically, but for someone to make the argument you just did........

So, you think the police officer in Toronto who was fired a couple of years ago for refusing to defend abortion clinics and those going to get abortions was unjustly treated, right?

Or is it only people that agree with you that have morals?

You see where this leads.
I will have to side with you on this one.

Hey is a citizen of England now. When in Rome. Or London as it were.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I believe you shouldn't be forced to do something that is against your morals. So if you dont want to defend an abortion clinic, you shouldn't have to. If a preacher doesn't want to marry a gay couple, he shouldn't have to. Thats why we live in a free country.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I believe you shouldn't be forced to do something that is against your morals. So if you dont want to defend an abortion clinic, you shouldn't have to. If a preacher doesn't want to marry a gay couple, he shouldn't have to. Thats why we live in a free country.

Good stuff.

Your consistency has left me slightly at sea. (Hey, I could be a poet)

Not quite what I expected.........I'll have to think on it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
no guarda

Just a thought.

What would happen if he guarded the place, and a bomber/terrorist/jehova's witness snuck past and obliterated the joint??

They wouldn't point a finger at him?? Not too quickly.

If the cops had a bit of brain they wouldn't ask him to do it.

Much easier to put a powerless employee in an untenable situation and then demand he be fired.

There are probably other places to "guard" where he could fit in and not get blamed if something bad went down.

But, anyway, you'd really have to argue with someone who gives a s*hit

Ugg.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm sure this man signed something, or took an oath to "serve and protect", and I'm also sure that the oath didn't say "everyone but the Israelis". The guy is a fraud. Fire him.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
This guy should not be allowed to cherry pick his assignments but firing him as a first step seems a bit harsh too. Give him the opportunity to return to his post, if he refuses, then send him packing. His sensibilities may be offended but his decision to enter the force was voluntary so he should just suck it up.

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Given the information provided, the officer has no excuse not to do his job. Moral grounds is insufficient.

The only reason why this officer should be reassigned is if doing his job poses a risk to someone's safety. That doesn't sem to be a factor.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
I'm sure this man signed something, or took an oath to "serve and protect", and I'm also sure that the oath didn't say "everyone but the Israelis". The guy is a fraud. Fire him.
I dont know what to think.....Juan. But your right...he Joined hte police, its his job he can ethier quit when asked to do something he doesnt want to, or he can do it and shut up.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I dont know what to think.....Juan. But your right...he Joined hte police, its his job he can ethier quit when asked to do something he doesnt want to, or he can do it and shut up.

I must be up too early on a Sunday morning. I was just imagining calling 911 and being told the police would be right there ................unless I was Jewish:)