Sacked veiled teacher loses her claim of discrimination

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Woman in the veil Aishah Azmi has lost her claim against discrimination - but won her claim for victimisation

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,2,00.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006480685,00.html#

Veil woman wins claim

By ONLINE REPORTER
October 19, 2006

A MUSLIM teaching assistant who refused to remove her veil during lessons today won her employment tribunal case for victimisation against the school which suspended her but lost her claims of discrimination and harassment.

Kirklees Council suspended Aishah Azmi, 24, after she refused to remove her veil while teaching at Headfield Church of England Junior School in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire.

The school said face-to-face communication was essential for Ms Azmi’s job as a bilingual support worker.

The case fuelled an ongoing debate about the use of the veil and the way that the Muslim community integrates into British society.

Ms Azmi was today awarded £1,000 for “injury to feelings” after she succeeded in her claim of victimisation.

But her claims of direct and indirect discrimination, and her claim of harassment, were dismissed.

In a statement Mrs Azmi criticised ministers who had intervened in the case and said it made her “fearful of the consequences for Muslim women in this country who want to work“.

She said she was considering an appeal against the decision to dismiss three of her claims.

“It is clear that discrimination against me has taken place and I am disappointed that the Employment Tribunal has not been able to uphold that part of my claim,” she said.

“I am taking the advice of my legal team at Kirklees Law Centre and will be looking to appeal against that decision.

“However, I am pleased that the tribunal have recognised the victimising way in which the school and the local education authority have handled this matter and the distress that has caused me.”

She went on: “Muslim women who wear the veil are not aliens, and politicians need to recognise that what they say can have a very dangerous impact on the lives of the minorities they treat as outcasts.

“Integration requires people like me to be in the workplace so that people can see that we are not to be feared or mistrusted.

“Sadly the intervention of ministers in my case (against the ministerial
code) makes me fearful of the consequences for Muslim women in this country who want to work.

“I will continue to uphold my religious beliefs and urge Muslims to engage in dialogue with the wider community, despite the attacks that are being made upon them.”

Mrs Azmi, of Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury, has said she was willing to remove her veil in front of children - but not when male colleagues were present.

It emerged she had not worn the veil during her job interview.

Mrs Azmi insisted she was “caught unawares” because she thought a woman would assess her for the role at the junior school, on Vicarage Road in Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury, which teaches 546 boys and girls aged seven to 11.

Prime Minister Tony Blair said the veil row was part of a necessary debate about the way the Muslim community integrates into British society.

The debate was sparked by the Leader of the House of Commons Jack Straw when he said that the wearing of full veils - or niqab - made community relations more difficult.

On Tuesday, Mr Blair said the veil worn by hundreds of Muslim women in the UK is a “mark of separation” which makes people of other ethnic backgrounds feel uncomfortable.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell described the veil as a “symbol of women’s subjugation to men” and suggested that women wearing it “cannot take their full place in society”.

Mr Blair stressed that he was not suggesting women should be ordered to remove their veils.

He said he could “see the reason” why Kirklees Council chose to suspend Mrs Azmi for refusing to remove her veil in the classroom.

While stressing that such decisions were a matter for local authorities, he added: “I do support the authority in the way that they have handled this.”

He went on: “Difficult though these issues are, they need to be raised and confronted.

“People want to know that the Muslim community in particular, but actually all minority communities, have got the balance right between integration and multi-culturalism.”

The tribunal also found that the local education authority had failed to comply with statutory grievance procedures and awarded a 10 per cent uplift on the £1,000 sum for injury to feelings.

thesun.co.uk

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The tribunal also found that the local education authority had failed to comply with statutory grievance procedures and awarded a 10 per cent uplift on the £1,000 sum for injury to feelings.

I was wondering how she could be awarded money while losing her case. Evidently, there was some administrative lapse which failed to apprise her of proper procedural rights. I would have thought that her union would have been responsible for those proceedings.

Still, the reasoning used in the ruling is consistent with the traditional Anglo-Saxon common law: it is a community that determines what are to be its standards of conduct, morality, and safety needs. Here, the community determined that the veil and the claims made upon its use represent a detriment to the safety or well-being of its citizenry. On that basis the community had the legal right to determine that it cannot accept the claims of the petitioner.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Justice has prevailed, I found it rather interesting that she didn't arrive at the job interview with a veil on. Me thinks she was pulling a fast one on the school.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
You have hurt my feelings Curiosity, be prepared to be sued Missy. I think she was awarded a stipid so the board could appease those following the story, or lack of story.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It appears there are cultural groups that aren't a good gel with western societies. If that's so, their immigration should not be encouraged. Governments have a responsiblity to their people. If they're allowing the arrival of groups who have difficulty co-existing with others in an open, western milieu they should be hung out to dry.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I actually wish my third grade reading teacher had worn a veil. I would have liked to have had one too, just in case hers fell off...yuck...nightmares