A third of immigrants fail immigration test.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Citizenship test stumps one in three migrants

By Melissa Kite, Deputy Political Editor

(Filed: 15/10/2006)

A third of immigrants are failing the Government's new citizenship test amid complaints that some of the questions are too obscure.

New entrants must get 75 per cent of the 24 multiple-choice questions correct within 45 minutes to qualify for British citizenship.

The test, which was introduced last November and is one of the last hurdles in gaining citizenship, has already created a new industry for consultants promising to coach immigrants through the process. There have also been claims of corruption, with one official allegedly sitting the test on an immigrant's behalf.

Of the 82,375 hopefuls who took the exam in the first nine months, 56,615 walked out with a pass while 25,760 failed, giving an overall pass rate of 68.7 per cent, the Home Office has confirmed.

The test (which includes questions similar to those in panel) was introduced as part of the Government's efforts to ensure that new citizens show a commitment to the nation and its traditions, rather than just a desire for a British passport.

A sample test on a Government website offers an insight into why so many immigrants might be failing. One question asks: "What are quangos and non-departmental public bodies?" Another demands: "What is proportional representation and where is it used?" Other questions include: "How are judges appointed?" and "How many young people are there in the UK?"

Others could best be described as trick questions. One states: "In Britain, there is a well-established link between abuse of what substance and crime?" and then asks applicants to choose between drugs and alcohol.

Before migrants take the test they must study Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship. The book was subject to ridicule, earlier this year, when historians complained that it was riddled with errors – and even misquoted one of Sir Winston Churchill's most famous speeches.

A Home office spokesman said: "There is nothing to stop you taking the test as many times as you want, although we encourage people to go away and read up on the sections they failed, or improve their English, before re-sitting."

Earlier this year, a college employee responsible for British citizenship tests was suspended after allegations that she helped applicants complete their papers as part of a test-fixing racket.

telegraph.co.uk

Reactions: Andem

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Quick question Blackleaf?

Are immagrants to the UK, automatically able to have access to government services, as extented health care and such?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
When I volunteered at immigrant services we always joked about the tests new citizens had to pass. I would bet less than half of us (people born and raised in Canada) couldn't pass them. I think it is important for immigrants to prove their knowledge about our country... I just wish more Canadians could do the same.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When I volunteered at immigrant services we always joked about the tests new citizens had to pass. I would bet less than half of us (people born and raised in Canada) couldn't pass them. I think it is important for immigrants to prove their knowledge about our country... I just wish more Canadians could do the same.

I whole heartedly agree!

Perhaps then, we would have no more need for the "Hertitage Ministry", lol.

I was looking for our test on line, but I only found this...

Canadian Immigration Test

How to pass an immigration test in Canada...

Mujibar was trying to get into Canada legally through Immigration. The Officer said, "Mujibar, you have passed most of the required tests, but there is one more compulsory test. Unless you pass it you cannot enter Canada.''

"Mujibar said, "I am ready." The officer said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and Green."

Mujibar thought for a few minutes and said, "Mister Officer, I am ready." "The Officer said, "Go ahead."
"Mujibar said, "The telephone goes green, green, green, and I pink it up, and say, "Yellow, this is Mujibar."

Mujibar now lives in a neighbourhood near you, and works at a Telus help desk.

Devin Baldo

Oct 5, 2006
I just don't get the point

Everyone hates multiple choice questions!!! They are made in such a fashion as to confuse those that are not entirely sure of the correct answer. In regards to the immagration test i am not sure if i agree with the structure of multiple choice but there must be a way to weed the weak ones out of the herd( figure of speech). If you can conclusively demonstrate that the test is too hard or biased in some fashion to keep immagrants from receiving citizenship you may have a point. The test may be tricky but what is the issue with this. SO what it is not like if you fail you are unable to retake the test or learn from your mistakes. I agree the majority of canadians would not past the test i think maybe about 1/3rd. do we make it easier or harder i just don't see any objective answer coming out of this discussion.

Carmoral

Nominee Member
Aug 4, 2006
Frickin hell, I took the citizen test and got most wrong lol, think I got half, and Im born and bred british, my hubby who is Canadian, has been in the UK now for 5 years and is going to take his sometime soon, and tried it and he got more than me lamo.
I only take notice of things that intestest me, we dont learn about half the stuff they ask, and I cant think for the life of me why i need to know out of the following band which one is not british.

YOUTH CULTURE: The UK has a vibrant youth culture. Which of the following is NOT a British musical group?
A: Westlife
B: Mis-teeq
C: So Solid Crew
D: Busted

I still got it wrong btw lol

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
That's a pretty tough test....but I still got 100% :D (on those 5 questions)