Chavez: World faces choice between U.S. hegemony or survival

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I can here the news headlines now. Chavez calls Bush the devil. But I doubt many will publish his full speech. To fill that gap, here it is:

Full text of Chavez's UN speech:

Venezuelan President, Hugo Chavez, Delivers Remarks to U.N. General Assembly, New York,

September 20th, 2006

HUGO CHAVEZ, PRESIDENT OF THE OLIVARIAN REPULIC OF VENEZUELA

Madam President, Excellencies, Heads of State, Heads of government and other government’s representatives, good morning.

First, and with all respect, I highly recommend this book by Noam Chomsky, one of the most prestigious intellectuals in America and the world, Chomsky. One of his most recent works: Hegemony or Survival: America’s Quest for Global Dominance (The American Empire Project) . It’s an excellent work to understand what’s happened in the world in the 20th Century, what’s currently happening, and the greatest threat on this planet; the hegemonic pretension of the North American imperialism endangers the human race’s survival.

We continue warning about this danger and calling on the very same U.S. people and the world to stop this threat, which resembles the Sword of Damocles over our heads. I had considered reading from this book, but for the sake of time, I shall just leave it as a recommendation. It reads easily. It's a very good book. I'm sure, Madam, you are familiar with it.

(APPLAUSE)

The book is in English, in Russian, in Arabic, in German.

I think that the first people who should read this book are our brothers and sisters in the United States, because their threat is in their own house. The devil is right at home. The devil -- the devil, himself, is right in the house.

And the devil came here yesterday.

(APPLAUSE)

Yesterday, the devil came here. Right here. Right here. And it smells of sulfur still today, this table that I am now standing in front of.

Yesterday, ladies and gentlemen, from this rostrum, the president of the United States, the gentleman to whom I refer as the devil, came here, talking as if he owned the world. Truly. As the owner of the world.

I think we could call a psychiatrist to analyze yesterday's statement made by the president of the United States. As the spokesman of imperialism, he came to share his nostrums, to try to preserve the current pattern of domination, exploitation and pillage of the peoples of the world.

An Alfred Hitchcock movie could use it as a scenario. I would even propose a title: "The Devil's Recipe."

As Chomsky says here, clearly and in depth, the American empire is doing all it can to consolidate its system of domination. And we cannot allow them to do that. We cannot allow world dictatorship to be consolidated.

The world parent's statement -- cynical, hypocritical, full of this imperial hypocrisy from the need they have to control everything.

They say they want to impose a democratic model. But that's their democratic model. It's the false democracy of elites, and, I would say, a very original democracy that's imposed by weapons and bombs and firing weapons.

What a strange democracy. Aristotle might not recognize it or others who are at the root of democracy.

What type of democracy do you impose with marines and bombs?

The president of the United States, yesterday, said to us, right here, in this room, and I'm quoting, "Anywhere you look, you hear extremists telling you can escape from poverty and recover your dignity through violence, terror and martyrdom."

Wherever he looks, he sees extremists. And you, my brother -- he looks at your color, and he says, oh, there's an extremist. Evo Morales, the worthy president of Bolivia, looks like an extremist to him.

The imperialists see extremists everywhere. It's not that we are extremists. It's that the world is waking up. It's waking up all over. And people are standing up.

I have the feeling, dear world dictator, that you are going to live the rest of your days as a nightmare because the rest of us are standing up, all those who are rising up against American imperialism, who are shouting for equality, for respect, for the sovereignty of nations.

Yes, you can call us extremists, but we are rising up against the empire, against the model of domination.

The president then -- and this he said himself, he said: "I have come to speak directly to the populations in the Middle East, to tell them that my country wants peace."

That's true. If we walk in the streets of the Bronx, if we walk around New York, Washington, San Diego, in any city, San Antonio, San Francisco, and we ask individuals, the citizens of the United States, what does this country want? Does it want peace? They'll say yes.

But the government doesn't want peace. The government of the United States doesn't want peace. It wants to exploit its system of exploitation, of pillage, of hegemony through war.

It wants peace. But what's happening in Iraq? What happened in Lebanon? In Palestine? What's happening? What's happened over the last 100 years in Latin America and in the world? And now threatening Venezuela -- new threats against Venezuela, against Iran?

He spoke to the people of Lebanon. Many of you, he said, have seen how your homes and communities were caught in the crossfire. How cynical can you get? What a capacity to lie shamefacedly.

The bombs in Beirut with millimetric precision? Is this crossfire?

He's thinking of a western, when people would shoot from the hip and somebody would be caught in the crossfire.

This is imperialist, fascist, assassin, genocidal, the empire and Israel firing on the people of Palestine and Lebanon. That is what happened. And now we hear, "We're suffering because we see homes destroyed.'

The president of the United States came to talk to the peoples -- to the peoples of the world. He came to say -- I brought some documents with me, because this morning I was reading some statements, and I see that he talked to the people of Afghanistan, the people of Lebanon, the people of Iran. And he addressed all these peoples directly.

And you can wonder, just as the president of the United States addresses those peoples of the world, what would those peoples of the world tell him if they were given the floor? What would they have to say?

And I think I have some inkling of what the peoples of the south, the oppressed people think. They would say, "Yankee imperialist, go home." I think that is what those people would say if they were given the microphone and if they could speak with one voice to the American imperialists.

And that is why, Madam President, my colleagues, my friends, last year we came here to this same hall as we have been doing for the past eight years, and we said something that has now been confirmed -- fully, fully confirmed.

I don't think anybody in this room could defend the system. Let's accept -- let's be honest. The U.N. system, born after the Second World War, collapsed. It's worthless.

Oh, yes, it's good to bring us together once a year, see each other, make statements and prepare all kinds of long documents, and listen to good speeches, like Evo's yesterday, or President Lula's. Yes, it's good for that.

And there are a lot of speeches, and we've heard lots from the president of Sri Lanka, for instance, and the president of Chile.

But we, the assembly, have been turned into a merely deliberative organ. We have no power, no power to make any impact on the terrible situation in the world. And that is why Venezuela once again proposes, here, today, September 20th, that we re-establish the United Nations.

Last year, Madam, we made four modest proposals that we felt to be crucially important. We have to assume the responsibility, our heads of state, our ambassadors, our representatives, and we have to discuss it.

The first is expansion, and Lula talked about this yesterday right here: The Security Council’s expansion, both regarding its permanent and non-permanent categories. New developed and developing countries, the Third World, must be given access as new permanent members. That's step one.

Second, effective methods to address and resolve world conflicts, transparent decisions.

Point three, the immediate suppression -- and that is something everyone's calling for -- of the anti-democratic mechanism known as the veto, the veto on decisions of the Security Council.

Let me give you a recent example. The immoral veto of the United States allowed the Israelis, with impunity, to destroy Lebanon. Right in front of all of us as we stood there watching, a resolution in the council was prevented.

Fourthly, we have to strengthen, as we've always said, the role and the powers of the secretary general of the United Nations.

Yesterday, the secretary general practically gave us his speech of farewell. And he recognized that over the last 10 years, things have just gotten more complicated; hunger, poverty, violence, human rights violations have just worsened. That is the tremendous consequence of the collapse of the United Nations system and American hegemonistic pretensions.

Madam , Venezuela a few years ago decided to wage this battle within the United Nations by recognizing the United Nations, as members of it that we are, and lending it our voice, our thinking.

Our voice is an independent voice to represent the dignity and the search for peace and the reformulation of the international system; to denounce persecution and aggression of hegemonistic forces on the planet.

This is how Venezuela has presented itself. Bolivar's home has sought a nonpermanent seat on the Security Council.

Let's see. Well, there's been an open attack by the U.S. government, an immoral attack, to try and prevent Venezuela from being freely elected to a post in the Security Council.

The imperium is afraid of truth, is afraid of independent voices. It calls us extremists, but they are the extremists.

And I would like to thank all the countries that have kindly announced their support for Venezuela, even though the ballot is a secret one and there's no need to announce things.

But since the imperium has attacked, openly, they strengthened the convictions of many countries. And their support strengthens us.

Mercosur, as a bloc, has expressed its support, our brothers in Mercosur. Venezuela, with Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, is a full member of Mercosur.

And many other Latin American countries, CARICOM, Bolivia have expressed their support for Venezuela. The Arab League, the full Arab League has voiced its support. And I am immensely grateful to the Arab world, to our Arab brothers, our Caribbean brothers, the African Union. Almost all of Africa has expressed its support for Venezuela and countries such as Russia or China and many others.

I thank you all warmly on behalf of Venezuela, on behalf of our people, and on behalf of the truth, because Venezuela, with a seat on the Security Council, will be expressing not only Venezuela's thoughts, but it will also be the voice of all the peoples of the world, and we will defend dignity and truth.

Over and above all of this, Madam President, I think there are reasons to be optimistic. A poet would have said "helplessly optimistic," because over and above the wars and the bombs and the aggressive and the preventive war and the destruction of entire peoples, one can see that a new era is dawning.

As Silvio Rodriguez says, the era is giving birth to a heart. There are alternative ways of thinking. There are young people who think differently. And this has already been seen within the space of a mere decade. It was shown that the end of history was a totally false assumption, and the same was shown about Pax Americana and the establishment of the capitalist neo-liberal world. It has been shown, this system, to generate mere poverty. Who believes in it now?

What we now have to do is define the future of the world. Dawn is breaking out all over. You can see it in Africa and Europe and Latin America and Oceania. I want to emphasize that optimistic vision.

We have to strengthen ourselves, our will to do battle, our awareness. We have to build a new and better world.

Venezuela joins that struggle, and that's why we are threatened. The U.S. has already planned, financed and set in motion a coup in Venezuela, and it continues to support coup attempts in Venezuela and elsewhere.

President Michelle Bachelet reminded us just a moment ago of the horrendous assassination of the former foreign minister, Orlando Letelier.

And I would just add one thing: Those who perpetrated this crime are free. And that other event where an American citizen also died were American themselves. They were CIA killers, terrorists.

And we must recall in this room that in just a few days there will be another anniversary. Thirty years will have passed from this other horrendous terrorist attack on the Cuban plane, where 73 innocents, in a Cubana de Aviacion airliner, died.

And where is the biggest terrorist of this continent who took the responsibility for blowing up the plane? He spent a few years in jail in Venezuela. Thanks to CIA and then government officials, he was allowed to escape, and he lives here in this country, protected by the government.

And he was convicted. He has confessed to his crime. But the U.S. government has double standards. It protects terrorism when it wants to.

And this is to say that Venezuela is fully committed to combating terrorism and violence. And we are one of the people who are fighting for peace.

Luis Posada Carriles is the name of that terrorist who is protected here. And other tremendously corrupt people who escaped from Venezuela are also living here under protection: a group that bombed various embassies, that assassinated people during the coup. They kidnapped me and they were going to kill me, but I think God reached down and our people came out into the streets and the army was too, and so I'm here today.

But these people who led that coup are here today in this country protected by the American government. And I accuse the American government of protecting terrorists and of having a completely cynical discourse.

We mentioned Cuba. Yes, we were just there a few days ago. We just came from there happily.

And there you see another era born. The Summit of the 15, the Summit of the Nonaligned, adopted a historic resolution. This is the outcome document. Don't worry, I'm not going to read it.

But you have a whole set of resolutions here that were adopted after open debate in a transparent matter -- more than 50 heads of state. Havana was the capital of the south for a few weeks, and we have now launched, once again, the group of the nonaligned with new momentum.

And if there is anything I could ask all of you here, my companions, my brothers and sisters, it is to please lend your good will to lend momentum to the Nonaligned Movement for the birth of the new era, to prevent hegemony and prevent further advances of imperialism.

And as you know, Fidel Castro is the president of the nonaligned for the next three years, and we can trust him to lead the charge very efficiently.

Unfortunately they thought, "Oh, Fidel was going to die." But they're going to be disappointed because he didn't. And he's not only alive, he's back in his green fatigues, and he's now presiding the nonaligned.

So, my dear colleagues, Madam President, a new, strong movement has been born, a movement of the south. We are men and women of the south.

With this document, with these ideas, with these criticisms, I'm now closing my file. I'm taking the book with me. And, don't forget, I'm recommending it very warmly and very humbly to all of you.

We want ideas to save our planet, to save the planet from the imperialist threat. And hopefully in this very century, in not too long a time, we will see this, we will see this new era, and for our children and our grandchildren a world of peace based on the fundamental principles of the United Nations, but a renewed United Nations.

And maybe we have to change location. Maybe we have to put the United Nations somewhere else; maybe a city of the south. We've proposed Venezuela.

You know that my personal doctor had to stay in the plane. The chief of security had to be left in a locked plane. Neither of these gentlemen was allowed to arrive and attend the U.N. meeting. This is another abuse and another abuse of power on the part of the Devil. It smells of sulfur here, but God is with us and I embrace you all.

May God bless us all. Good day to you.

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=2083

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
RE: Chavez: World faces choice between U.S. hegemony or surv

I sense relations between Chavez and Bush have cooled.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: Chavez: World faces choice between U.S. hegemony or surv

I gotta say I think out of all them, Hugo took the cake. Harper's still in the running, of course, but only because he hasn't spoken yet. He's bound to take it seriously and all, so I calling this one early.

we got any world leaders out there that AREN'T suffering from speed wobble?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net

I sense relations between Chavez and Bush have cooled.
--------------------------Kreskin---------------------------

LOL !!!

Kreskin, the magician of understatement !!!

But with Chavez mentioning Diablo, perhaps matters
have gotten hotter in sulphuric way.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006

earth_as_one said:
I can here the news headlines now. Chavez calls Bush the devil. But I doubt many will publish his full speech. To fill that gap, here it is:

Full text of Chavez's UN speech:

Venezuelan President, Hugo Chavez, Delivers Remarks to U.N. General Assembly, New York,

September 20th, 2006

HUGO CHAVEZ, PRESIDENT OF THE OLIVARIAN REPULIC OF VENEZUELA

Madam President, Excellencies, Heads of State, Heads of government and other government’s representatives, good morning.

First, and with all respect, I highly recommend this book by Noam Chomsky, one of the most prestigious intellectuals in America and the world, Chomsky. One of his most recent works: Hegemony or Survival: America’s Quest for Global Dominance (The American Empire Project) . It’s an excellent work to understand what’s happened in the world in the 20th Century, what’s currently happening, and the greatest threat on this planet; the hegemonic pretension of the North American imperialism endangers the human race’s survival.

We continue warning about this danger and calling on the very same U.S. people and the world to stop this threat, which resembles the Sword of Damocles over our heads. I had considered reading from this book, but for the sake of time, I shall just leave it as a recommendation. It reads easily. It's a very good book. I'm sure, Madam, you are familiar with it.

(APPLAUSE)

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=2083

Finally a leader who is for his peoples, not coorporations.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Speaking of which, what time is Steven on?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Oh man - that was a classic example folks of the true narcissist: " Hugo of Benevolent Benezuela..." Napoleonic complex comes to mind also.

Chavez is a textbook case if one was studying the disorder... which is a good tool for learning ... but the guy is running a country...

Nothing unusual about dictators with a heavy dose of narcissism and we have all dealt with them before on the world stage. The U.N. loves these disturbing creatures because it takes the focus of their own problems and their lack of foresight in getting much done in our world.

What is unsettling however is that number of affirmations he got with his little fantasy trip of "Hugo's World".

Comedy Central at the U.N. They have finally arrived at their destination - an expensive one for the serious democracies of our global community.

Worthless waste of time and money when people are starving.

Edit: [moved from another thread - didn't know there was a Chavez thread]

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/454564p-382502c.

Venezuela oil pimp can have UN

May your prayers be answered, Señor Chavez. May the United Nations leave New York for residence in Venezuela, so very far from the diplos' lush and cushy berth on the East Side. The sorry organization isn't worth the gridlock.
You're more than welcome, please, to take the atrophied, self-abasing remains of a global ideal 2,100 miles to Caracas, where you can play the messianic oil baron game to your heart's content with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, fresh in from Tehran, perhaps with a dirty bomb in his suitcase.

You can take the UN, and you can shove it - there.

And you can shove the gasoline you sell to Americans through Citgo, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Venezuelan national oil company through which you are bribing your way into international power.

It is, frankly, un-American for U.S. citizens to pour money into any bank account that bears the Hugo Chavez name, you being despicable enough to suggest that "the U.S. empire planned and conducted" the 9/11 terror attacks "against its own people" as an excuse to go to war.

And you can shove the fuel oil you are offering at a discount to some poor Americans, including folks here in New York with the aid and comfort of the moronically misguided Rep. Jose Serrano. This is nothing but a public-relations stunt by a populist poseur on the order of, well, Fidel Castro.

As for your address to the General Assembly yesterday, it troubles us not that you referred to President Bush as a Devil of rank sulfurous odor - although it is of more than passing interest that back at home, a Chavez critic who dared voice such colorful language about El Presidente would risk prison or, worse, a bullet.

Far more pertinent is that oil-bought Chavez cronyism is pervasive enough among UN member states to put Venezuela in serious contention for a spot on the Security Council, the body the world is forced to rely on to stem Ahmadinejad's atomic aspirations. Once there, Venezuela would work to help Iran become the world's most dangerous country - one dedicated to the destruction of Israel.

Saddam Hussein had his way with the UN by corrupting the oil-for-food program to buy his way out of having to comply with weapons inspections. Today's trade is oil for nukes, and the UN is again reclining into a supine position.

The parliament of mankind? Naw. A cheap bordello.

Originally published on September 21, 2006

Hear hear ... a new home for the United Nations!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

http://www.drudgereport.com
Developing.....
CHAVEZ FLEES NYC; CUTS TRIP SHORT AFTER 'DEVIL' SPEECH

Thu Sep 21 2006 08:21:15 ET

Fiery Venezuela President Hugo Chavez will 'wrap up' his controversial NYC visit early this morning to return home to Caracas, sources say.

The president cancelled several appointments previously scheduled in NYC today including a second news conference he was to hold at Venezuela's United Nations mission.

On Wednesday, Chavez, in a controversial speech in the UN General Assembly, mocked President George Bush repeatedly calling him 'The Devil'.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Good post WC. The author is bang on, the UN isn't worth the gridlock. I've been showing a finger towards the UN since Monday. Traffic has been crazy. Chavez can have the UN if he wants it, the UN doesn't belong in New York, it never did in my opinion. New York is an economic engine, not a cesspool of political power play. For once I agree with you Mr Chavez, take the UN, PLEASE!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

With big oil holding all the cards at the moment it'll be interesting to see what Chavez and his new buddy President Tom can put together over the next year. Is that sabre rattling or spaghetti whipping we're viewing?

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Wednesday's Child said:
Nothing unusual about dictators with a heavy dose of narcissism and we have all dealt with them before on the world stage.

He was voted in twice in elections by the general public. Once before the US helped coupe and then again after he had elections after the coupe. He is not a dictator. That is what the USA wants you to believe.

A socialist, ‘yes’, but he has been elected into his position and he does have the backing of his people. I think you are referring to the way the Bush Administration has tried to cast him. He is a little, um, expressive at times, and speaks supportively of those who feel the weight of the USA upon them, but he does care much more about his people, this time including the poor, than his predecessors.

The US can’t influence any control over Venezuela’s oil and they can’t accept that. That is why they have originally tried to unseat him and do to his open opposition of US policies, smear him beyond the truth.

Say what you will about his style but the USA has unseated democratically elected people before so if you start calling Chavez a dictator, then it shows you’ve bought into the US brainwashing on that argument.

TIME.com

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1157172,00.html

Venezuela's Oil Giveaway
Hugo Chavez is helping the U.S. poor with discounted heating oil—while irritating his foes in Washington
By TIM PADGETT/MIAMI
SUBSCRIBE TO TIMEPRINTE-MAILMORE BY AUTHOR

Posted Tuesday, Feb. 07, 2006
When you’re a U.S. Congressman and 25,000 constituent families can’t find affordable heating oil this winter, you tend not to care where help comes from. That’s at least how U.S. Representative Chaka Fattah of Philadelphia felt last week when Citgo — the U.S.-based company owned by the government of Venezuela’s left-wing President Hugo Chavez — delivered 5 million gallons of heating oil at a 40% discount to low-income Philadelphia residents. Fattah says he doesn’t understand the objections of many congressional conservatives who feel U.S. cities should not be helping improve the image of Chavez, one of President Bush’s most strident critics. "The U.S. buys 1.5 million barrels of oil from Venezuela each day at full price," says Fattah, "so why would anyone complain about getting some at almost half price?"

That’s a question the Bush Administration — whose feelings for Chavez are certainly mutual — has struggled to answer ever since Venezuela initiated the Citgo program last November. While the heating oil gesture has certainly allowed Chavez to tweak Bush’s nose, it is also being recognized inside and outside of Washington as a public relations coup for Chavez’s Bolivarian Revolution (named for South America’s 19th-century independence hero, Simon Bolivar).

(and...)

But the heating oil project’s biggest diplomatic coup, Alvarez concedes, may be the good will it generates among Americans at a time of deteriorating U.S.-Venezuela relations — strained ever since the Bush Administration was widely accused of backing a failed 2002 coup against Chavez (a charge it denies). Chavez, who has been democratically elected twice and is almost certain to win reelection this year, is convinced the U.S. is out to assassinate him or invade Venezuela for its oil; the White House, concerned about a growing wave of leftist victories in Latin American presidential elections, insists Chavez is a would-be dictator sowing instability in the region. Last week, as U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld even likened Chavez’s rise to Hitler’s in the 1930s, Venezuela accused a U.S. naval attaché of spying and expelled him from the country; a few days later the U.S. expelled Alvarez’s chief of staff.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

I think not said:
Good post WC. The author is bang on, the UN isn't worth the gridlock. I've been showing a finger towards the UN since Monday. Traffic has been crazy. Chavez can have the UN if he wants it, the UN doesn't belong in New York, it never did in my opinion. New York is an economic engine, not a cesspool of political power play. For once I agree with you Mr Chavez, take the UN, PLEASE!

Your right. The UN doesn't belong in the US anymore.

Speaking of a cesspool of political power play...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Eleveneleven you are making assumptions about my opinion which are inaccurate - being such a stickler for accuracy yourself...

I haven't bought into the U.S. argument - the facts speak for themselves - Chavez has proven himself to be dictatorial and if you believe the propositions he will "take care of the poor in the U.S. regarding heating oil"....you might want to see how he treats the poor of Venezuela. What he says and what he actually does do not compute. This is nothing new in politics.

Google "Is Chavez a Dictator" and do your own research.

Here's a bit I'll put in here.. just a portion of the whole article....

http://www.infoplease.com/Ipa/AD108140/html
Leftist president Hugo Chavez took office in 1999, pledging political and economic reforms to give the poor a greater share of the country's oil wealth. A constituent assembly was formed to rewrite the constitution in July 1999, followed by the creation of a constitutional assembly made up of Chavez's allies that replaced the democratically elected Congress. Chavez's assumption of greater power prompted charges that he is establishing a left-wing dictatorship.

Chavez was reelected to a six-year term in July 2000. Troops were called in to quell serious protests over the election in several cities. In 2000 Chavez visited other OPEC countries, becoming the first foreign head of state to visit Iraq since the 1991 Gulf War. He is close to President Fidel Castro of Cuba, which receives Venezuelan oil at reduced prices.

In Dec. 2001, business and labor organizations held a work stoppage to protest Chavez's increasingly authoritarian government. In April 2002, tensions reached a boiling point as workers reduced oil production to protest Chavez's policies. Following a massive anti-Chavez demonstration during which 12 people were killed, a coalition of business and military leaders forced Chavez from power. But international criticism of the coup, especially in Latin America, and an outpouring of support from the president's followers returned Chavez to power just two days later. After the coup, Chavez remained highly popular among the poor, despite the desperate state of the economy. Venezuelan labor unions, business organizations, the media, and a good part of the military remained substantially less enchanted.

Beginning in early Dec. 2002, a general strike was called by business and labor leaders. By Jan. 2003 it had virtually brought the economy, including the oil industry, to a halt. Strike leaders pledged to continue until Chavez resigned or agreed to early elections. But in Feb. 2003, after nine weeks, the strikers conceded defeat. In Aug. 2003, a petition with 3.2 million signatures was delivered to the country's election commission, demanding a recall referendum on Chavez. The Chavez government challenged the referendum process rigorously, and petitions submitted in Sept. 2003 and Feb. 2004 were rejected as invalid. The electoral board finally accepted a petition in June 2004 and scheduled the referendum for August 15. Chavez, who had been shoring up his standing with the Venezuelan poor during the delays, won the referendum with an overwhelming 58% of the vote. The opposition alleged fraud, but international observers confirmed that there had been no irregularities. Chavez's hand was clearly strengthened, and by the spring of 2005, his popularity rating reached 70%, due in large part to his social spending programs. In Dec. 2005 parliamentary elections, Chávez's Fifth Republic Movement won 114 of 167 seats, and the remaining seats were won by his allies. The opposition boycotted the election, maintaining they could not trust the pro-Chavez National Electoral Council.

See also Encyclopedia: Venezuela.
U.S. State Dept. Country Notes: Venezuela

The guy is just another good time politico who makes his case by slamming other countries instead of taking care of his own business.
From his campaigning there should be no "poor" in Venezuela at all if he was to distribute the oil wealth among the people.

Nothing new in that area either - we're used to it in the U.S.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

elevennevele said:
I think not said:

Your right. The UN doesn't belong in the US anymore.

Speaking of a cesspool of political power play...

Uhm right, because every other government in the world is driven by morality. :lol:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Well Chavez wouldn't have made it as a tango dancer! :p

Might as well shoot for politics.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
RE: Chavez: World faces c

Oh yeah, about that “devil speech”. Is it any more outrageous than Bush telling Abu Mazen, Palestinian Prime Minister, and Nabil Shaath, his Foreign Minister, that God told him 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did. Such was quoted and portrayed in a UK BBC series in 2005.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml

Actually, a little less outrageous. He isn’t going out an getting people killed in referencing Bush as the devil. Not like all the “God speak” Bush uses for his warring.

The US is losing it's grip over Latin America. Chavez is a popularist on that side of the two Continents. The US is losing control and they don't like it. Meanwhile China is managing to make trade deals and inroads into markets the US would, or should have capitalized on if it weren't for the fact that they've got themselves so distracted in wars.

I keep hearing how these wars are making the US safer. That is very debatable but surely not economically safer.

Cuba’s Castro on the other hand. He fell into the definition of “dictator”. (not democratically elected)

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

I think not said:
Uhm right, because every other government in the world is driven by morality. :lol:

Maybe that should read, “every other country isn’t driven by the same immorality.”

or better yet...

“no other country has earned the status to be where it is and it’s position of influence throughout the world only to then turn around with that status and act upon the world like a common rogue state which no longer wishes to respect the rule of law it once stood in the world to enforce.”

Yes laugh it up. I would have hoped for better for such a country even though it is not of my own.