Cameron: 'ignorance' is damaging relations with Scotland

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Cameron warns 'ignorance' is damaging relations with Scotland
15th September 2006

Cameron is concerned about relations between the English and Scottish people

According to the Tory leader, the English are are ignorant about the skirt-wearing Scots and their nation.

English "ignorance" of Scotland is damaging the union between the two countries, Tory leader David Cameron will warn today.

He will make the claim in a speech which will argue the need to make "a positive case for Britain."

And Mr Cameron will warn Scotland will not be "cowed or intimidated" into staying part of the UK.

The Cameron speech will come a week after Chancellor, and soon-to-be-Prime Minister Gordon Brown (a Scotsman), argued the case for the union but in different terms.

Speaking in Edinburgh, the Chancellor urged Labour activists to take on the SNP (the party that wants independence for Scotland), and called the Tories anti-British for demanding "English votes for English laws." (Which is an undemocratic thing to say when you consider that the Scots have Scottish votes for Scottish laws)

He also declared: "For all nations and regions of the UK, we are stronger together and weaker apart."

But today Mr Cameron will tell his party: "I don't believe that in the 21st century, Scotland will be cowed or intimidated into remaining part of the UK through fear of the economic consequences of going it alone.

"Those of us who believe in the union have got to do better than that.

"We need to make a positive case for Britain that speaks to the heart as well as the head, so today I want to take a fresh approach."

The Tory leader will tell his audience: "There's one aspect of Scottish-English relations that I want to address.

"It may seem trivial to some but I happen to believe that it's almost more damaging to the union than institutional or economic difficulties.

"It's a question of attitudes, and in particular the ignorance of English people about Scots and Scotland.

"Why should this matter? After all, we've all got broad shoulders.

"Well it matters because the union is supposed to be a relationship of equals.

"Not in terms of size obviously - but certainly in terms of that most precious of commodities, respect."

The visit comes as polls suggest little evidence of a major advance in Tory fortunes in Scotland, where Scottish Parliament elections take place next May.

A TNS System Three poll earlier this month put them at 12 per cent in constituency votes and 14 per cent in proportionate representation votes.

But Tories argue that on these ratings, they would have 20 Scottish Parliament seats compared to the 18 they achieved at the last election. end

Readers' comments

Is it in Scotland's interest to stay part of the UK ? If they'd been independent with all the oil and gas revenue presumably Scotland could have been like Norway, outside the EU, big oil fund for pension provsion. And an idependent Scotland OUTSIDE the EU could have preserved its fishing industry like Iceland has done.

- James, St Albans, England
---------------------------------

Any apparent rift between England and Scotland cannot be blamed on the English. Demanding English votes on English matters is asking for nothing more than that level of democracy already enjoyed by Scotland. Cameron is right in saying that we stand stronger together, but if the Scots want independence let them have it. As long as that means that the English taxpayer no longer has to subsidise their economy. Doubtless the Scots would raise the issue of North Sea oil fields. Given that they are almost depleted, they're welcome to them!

- Keith Lonsdale, Doncaster
-----------------------------

Wrong. Too many Scottish blokes in high cabinet positions in this country is doing far more damage.

- Mike, Coventry
----------------------------

So Mr Cameron feels safe with the English vote so is happy to insult us in an attempt to suck up to the Scots!

- Ro, London
--------------------------

Oh dear - the ignorant English, but then I suppose he is called Cameron, a Scottish name. I wonder how many traditional votes that will cost him?

- Veronica, Manchester
-------------------------------

It is all very well for him to suck up to the Scots but when is this shallow man going to do anything for the English?

- Harry Basset, Whitby
--------------------------------

My god David Cameron does talk some drivel. A life long Tory I never thought I would hope a labour Chancellor, Gordon Brown, wins the next election. At least Brown seems to have a bit of a backbone. David Cameron is so wet just listening to him annoys me.

- Dr Kevin Law, Dundee, Scotland
----------------------------------------------------

Why do Scottish universities charge English students three times more than they charge Scottish students?

- J Duncan, Manchester

dailymail.co.uk