Women's holocaust

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
Between 1400-1800 roughly it is estimated that 7 to 11 million women were killed or tortued to death during the witch hunts all over Europe and it's various colonies. This is, as I am sure you are aware, known as the Women's Holocaust.

Some say the number was not in the millions but in the tens of thousands...

Nevertheless, i rarely if ever hear of this period of human cruelty against women. Why?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Does the Jewish Defence League know you're calling this the Women's Holocaust? If you are, look for trouble. I've never heard the term before. Sounds presumptious to me.

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
Hmm.. the term holocaust is greek- not hebrew.
There were many holocausts of differing degrees throughout the generations. However I concede that it's most strongly associated to the enormous suffering of the jews.
My point is however that women during this era suffered as much or more inhumanity as the jews.
I minimize neither of their suffering.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Holocaust isn't a registered trademark or brand name. It means burnt sacrifice. "The Holocaust" as a term often refers to Nazi extermination program.

The term "Women's Holocaust" accurately describes a barbaric period of European history when innocent people were subjected to tortured confessions and ridiculous tests to prove innocence. Religious fanatacism/zealotry, competing systems of medicine, food poisoning are possible causes of the Women's Holocaust.

The Women's Holocaust victims were mostly women, but also included a few men and children.

The Women's Holocaust happen before The Holocaust, lasted a longer period and killed about the same number of people.

From the Greek: "holos" (completely) and "kaustos" (burned sacrificial offering). When capitalized, the term usually refers to the Shoah, (aka Shoa and Sho'ah) the killing of five to seven million of European Jews by the Nazi government during World War II. Sometimes used to refer to the total Nazi extermination program, which included Jews, Roma (aka Gypsies), Russians, Poles, other Slavs, homosexuals, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. totaling ten to fourteen million humans. ...
www.religioustolerance.org/gl_h.htm

The word, Holocaust, derives from Greek words, meaning complete destruction, usually by fire. By the end of the 17th century, the word came to mean a great slaughter or massacre. It is now used to describe the genocide against the Jews in Europe by the Nazis.
www.bl.uk/services/learning/curriculum/voices/refglos.html

Greek, "the destruction of life by fire") — Since the 1950s the term has been applied primarily to the Nazi regime's attempted annihilation of the Jews of Europe. Six million Jews-two out of every three living at the time in Europe-were murdered as part of a systematic genocide. Millions of other people also were killed because of their ethnicity, culture, political ideas, sexual orientation, or physical or mental handicaps. See Shoah.
www.cofc.edu/~jhc/stories/glossary.html

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Re: RE: Women's holocaust

Jews do not have ownership over the term 'holocaust'. Probably just under 3 million have died under the regime of the Khmer Rouge in what we know the killing fields. A lot by execution, a lot by starvation. A huge massacre and suffering.

In the nazi holocaust out of probably 5 million that were killed, most were Polish or Polish Jews. We rarely think of Polish people when we think of the nazi holocaust. This may leave for about 2 million not really accounted for. Non Jewish holocaust sufferers. Historians begin to disagree in the figures when you take into account other nationalities who have died under the nazi holocaust. The sum of numbers lost in total may even be higher.

In 1915, there was the ethnic cleansing of a million and a half Christian Armenians by the Ottoman Empire. Mass slaughter of men women and children.

And what of Rwanda?

History is full of holocausts. Some erased from our thoughts by the passing of history. A Woman's Holocaust could indeed be an example of such a casuality of history's passing if we only allow ourselves to be selective in recognizing which human suffering counts and which doesn't.

http://groong.usc.edu/fisk2.html

Dead Reckoning; Holocausts vs holocausts

by Robert Fisk

The Independent (London)
August 5, 2000, Saturday

The Essay: DEAD RECKONING;
Why is it that great holocausts of the last century merits a capital 'H'? Here, robert fisk, who has spent many years researching the massacre of one and a half million Armenian Christians, argues that all acts of genocide deserve equal recognition.

Here is how someone in Wikipedia like to break down the numbers for the nazi holocaust. Because it's Wikipedia, take it with a grain of salt. Exact numbers are not definite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust

* 5.1–6.0 million Jews, including 3.0–3.5 million Polish Jews[8]
* 1.8 –1.9 million non-Jewish Poles (includes all those killed in executions or those that died in prisons, labor, and concentration camps, as well as civilians killed in the 1939 invasion and the 1944 Warsaw Uprising)[9]
* 500,000–1.2 million Serbs killed by Croat Nazis
* 200,000–800,000 Roma & Sinti
* 200,000–300,000 people with disabilities
* 80,000–200,000 Freemasons [10]
* 100,000 communists
* 10,000–25,000 homosexual men
* 2,500-5,000 Jehovah's Witnesses [11]

And again here is another take...

http://www.holocaustforgotten.com/non-jewishvictims.htm

Who Were the Five Million Non-Jewish Victims?

Of the 11 million people killed during the Holocaust, six million were Polish citizens. Three million were Polish Jews and another three million were Polish Christians and Catholics. Most of the remaining mortal victims were from other countries including Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Ukraine, Russia, Holland, France and even Germany.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
To come back to the topic - "Da Vinci Code" explains very well, why such thing as women's holocaust happened.
Many Pagan religions, that existed before Christianity, treated sexual intercourse as something that brought people closer to Gods, and women were very strongly respected for their capacity to give birth, to bring another person into this world. To think about it, it is almost magical, this act of creation. And Christian religion treats sexual intercourse as something dirty and sinful, that leads not to being closer to Gods, but to losing your soul and to eternal damnation and burning in hell. And women, as objects of sexual desire, were considered to be dangerous, diabolical creatures. In fact, when Christianity was just getting established as an organized church, there was a very serious dispute, concerning the issue whether women have a soul. And that issue was settled favourably for women with a very slight majority, less than ten voices. Christian religion is afraid of women, of their mission and of their power. Hence the treatment.

agentkgb

Nominee Member
Aug 22, 2006
US
agentkgb.wordpress.com
Lithp said:
Nevertheless, i rarely if ever hear of this period of human cruelty against women. Why?
I'm in the US and in one of my American History classes we spent a week on the Salem Witch Trials but never the "trials" in Europe, but in World History our teacher didn't even mention it. I hadn't noticed that before but yeah.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
The womans Holocaust, was based on whichcraft, Mostly in France. Much like the Which unts in salam, but to a large degree....Woman would be killed ofr eye colour, sometimes hair colour and then evryone else who looked like a witch or had other ideas about government, men, sexuality, and non-christains

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Vereya said:
To come back to the topic - "Da Vinci Code" explains very well, why such thing as women's holocaust happened.
Many Pagan religions, that existed before Christianity, treated sexual intercourse as something that brought people closer to Gods, and women were very strongly respected for their capacity to give birth, to bring another person into this world. To think about it, it is almost magical, this act of creation. And Christian religion treats sexual intercourse as something dirty and sinful, that leads not to being closer to Gods, but to losing your soul and to eternal damnation and burning in hell. And women, as objects of sexual desire, were considered to be dangerous, diabolical creatures. In fact, when Christianity was just getting established as an organized church, there was a very serious dispute, concerning the issue whether women have a soul. And that issue was settled favourably for women with a very slight majority, less than ten voices. Christian religion is afraid of women, of their mission and of their power. Hence the treatment.

The feminine divine. The scholar Joseph Campbell would discuss at length about it. I would have considered him a real life Robert Langdon.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
The womans Holocaust, was based on whichcraft, Mostly in France. Much like the Which unts in salam, but to a large degree....Woman would be killed ofr eye colour, sometimes hair colour and then evryone else who looked like a witch or had other ideas about government, men, sexuality, and non-christains

Hmm.. then it sounds much along the lines of Nazi Germany to myself. Basically, you could be killed just for being a certain way in others' eyes.

Christian religion is afraid of women, of their mission and of their power. Hence the treatment.

Yes. It sounds to me like it is afraid of nature.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Some related information to explain the Women's Holocaust.

Case Study:
The European Witch-Hunts, c. 1450-1750
and Witch-Hunts Today

http://www.gendercide.org/case_witchhunts.html

Witches, Midwives, and Nurses
A History of Women Healers
by Barbara Ehrenreich and Deirdre English

[/url]http://tmh.floonet.net/articles/witches.html[/url]

Ergotism: The Satan Loosed in Salem?
Convulsive ergotism may have been a physiological basis for the Salem witchcraft crisis in 1692.

Linnda R. Caporael

http://web.utk.edu/~kstclair/221/ergotism.html

How many people were executed for witchcraft is uncertain:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Still, as a term, 'women's holocaust' is ridiculous. If augmentation is to become the norm, then let's deal with the Men's Holocaust. This tragic period took wing in the 1980's with the birth of FMS. False Memory Syndrome. Women across North America were encouraged by therapists and psychologists to blame sexual abuse as the root cause of any hardship in their lives. It didn't matter whether they didn't remember it or not. It happened. Every community in North America was affected as the great witch hunt began. Charges flew across North America as women charged their fathers, brothers, uncles and cousins with abuse they could only vaguely recall on a professional's couch.
Numerous law suits were laid against these so called professionals and the Men's Holocaust is a traumatic but embarrassing memory now. Salem got resurrected here 25 years ago.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
False accusations of abuse, as terrible as they are, are not in the same league as the mass murder of millions of people.

We don't study this period in depth because no one cares. Women as a group at that time just weren't important enough to draw our interest. I love history. I also know I won't learn much about women when I study it.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
But she wasn't the main character was she? Historically, women just didn't have enough power to take the lead roles in much. Some did, but they are exceptions. By and large, our history has been shaped by men.