Airport checks for Muslims.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Times August 15, 2006

Muslims face extra checks in new travel crackdown
By Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent

People who behave suspiciously or have a certain ethinic or religious background - usually it'll be Muslims - will be profiled at airports.

THE Government is discussing with airport operators plans to introduce a screening system that allows security staff to focus on those passengers who pose the greatest risk.

The passenger-profiling technique involves selecting people who are behaving suspiciously, have an unusual travel pattern or, most controversially, have a certain ethnic or religious background.

The system would be much more sophisticated than simply picking out young men of Asian appearance. But it would cause outrage in the Muslim community because its members would be far more likely to be selected for extra checks.

Officials at the Department for Transport (DfT) have discussed the practicalities of introducing such a system with airport operators, including BAA. They believe that it would be more effective at identifying potential terrorists than the existing random searches.

They also say that it would greatly reduce queues at secur-ity gates, which caused lengthy delays at London airports yesterday for the fifth day running. Heathrow and Gatwick were worst affected, cancelling 69 and 27 flights respectively. BAA gave warning yesterday that the disruption would continue for the rest of the week.

Passengers are now allowed to take one small piece of hand luggage on board but security staff are still having to search 50 per cent of travellers. Airports have also been ordered to search twice as many hand luggage items as a week ago.

BAA was criticised yesterday for failing to commit itself to recruiting more security staff and for claiming that its existing 6,000 staff at seven airports would be able to handle the extra searches. Tony Douglas, the chief executive of Heathrow, said that X-ray screening of hand luggage would be much faster under the new rules on size and contents, leaving staff free to carry out more searches.

The new measures, which include a ban on taking any liquids through checkpoints, are expected to remain in place for months. A DfT source said it was difficult to see how the restrictions could be relaxed if terrorists now had the capabil-ity to make liquid bombs.

The DfT has been considering passenger profiling for a year but, until last week, the disadvantages were thought to outweigh the advantages. A senior aviation industry source said: “The DfT is ultra-sensitive about this and won’t say anything publicly because of political concerns about being accused of racial stereotyping.”

Three days before last week’s arrests, the highest-ranking Muslim police officer in Britain gave warning that profiling techniques based on physical appearance were already causing anger and mistrust among young Muslims. Tarique Ghaffur, an assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said: “We must think long and hard about the causal factors of anger and resentment.

“There is a very real danger that the counter-terrorism label is also being used by other law-enforcement agencies to the effect that there is a real risk of criminalising minority communities.”

Sir Rod Eddington, former chief executive of British Airways, criticised the random nature of security searches. He said that it was irrational to subject a 75-year-old grandmother to the same checks as a 25-year-old man who had just paid for his ticket with cash.

Philip Baum, an aviation security consultant, said that profiling should focus on ruling out people who obviously posed no risk rather than picking out Asian or Arabs.

A DfT spokesman refused to make any comment or answer any questions on profiling.

AIRPORT UPDATE

British Airways plans to cancel forty short-haul and four long-haul flights from Heathrow today as well as eleven domestic flights from Gatwick. Other airlines expect to operate near-normal schedules.

All airports will allow passengers to carry one small piece of hand luggage, but no liquids are allowed through the security search point other than prescribed medicines and baby food.

thetimesonline.co.uk

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Im just wondering, with the recent events over the last few years, has there been major changes to British immigration? I know the UK is a aging population which will dwindle without immigration, but are muslims still flooding in at an alarming pace? Is there more inter Euro immigration now?

Carmoral

Nominee Member
Aug 4, 2006
I wouldn't worry at all with the dwindling population here in the UK, with so many teenage moms around popping them out like sweets we will be over populated (even more so) by the end of this year the rate they are going.
As for immigration, I cant say much I guess my husband is here in the UK and he is Canadian, but then again he is contributing to our system, what sucks is that it took him 14 months of hell to get his work permit, simply cause it takes that long, and the illegal immigrants come into the country and are given money to help them live, free health care and a house to live in, I know this to be true cause I have seen it with my own eyes, when I returned from Canada after 2 years there, I had to go live back at my moms with 3 kids in one room, and they would not house me until I declared myself homeless, then they could have stuck me in a bed and breakfast.

Im not racist one bit, I have friends of all cultures and my job involves me dealing with many cultures, but still feel that pple form these other countries think Britain is a soft touch, I don’t understand why they come through all these other countries like Italy and France just to get to us, well actually I do, they know we wont turn them away and they will get welfare straight away, If I was to lose my job, I would have to wait 6 weeks before I would get any help!
Sorry, sore point with me.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: Airport checks for Muslims.

Hank C said:
Im just wondering, with the recent events over the last few years, has there been major changes to British immigration? I know the UK is a aging population which will dwindle without immigration, but are muslims still flooding in at an alarming pace? Is there more inter Euro immigration now?

Britain has a much younger population than the other major Continental European countries. The populations of Germany and Italy are shrinking, whereas Britain will still grow for many years. That's why we'll soon overtake Germany as Europe's largest economy.

A few months ago, I read that within 20 years, Britain won't just have one of the youngest populations in Europe, but will also have a younger population even than the United States and Canada, two countries which have traditionally had much younger populations than Britain.

I also wouldn't say that Muslims are flooding into Britain at an alarming rate. We have one of the smallest Muslims populations in Europe. France has the same population as Britain but has three times as many Muslims. Britain probably also just about have a smaller Muslim population than Canada, and our overall population is twice as large as yours. In just ten years, between 1991 and 2001, the Muslim population in Canada DOUBLED in size, whereas in Britain it stayed about the same.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: Airport checks for Mu

gopher said:
as stereotypes are just a bunch of useless myths.

God punishes!

If you're looking to prevent Islamic terrorism, you target Muslims when they are about to get on a plane, not Christians or Sikhs or any other religion. It's just common sense.

And Britain has had racial profiling before at airports at the height of the Troubles, when security always targeted people with an Irish accent.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Here we go with the profiling issue again. An off-shoot of the politically correct movement and its sclerotic crazies, the anti-profilers are a comical lot. Common sense to them is about as appealling as smoking a dried turd.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

Blackleaf said:
If you're looking to prevent Islamic terrorism, you target Muslims when they are about to get on a plane, not Christians or Sikhs or any other religion. It's just common sense.

HOW??? how do you "target" muslims? I know that a large proportion of mulsims are brown-skinned and have the appearance of someone from the middle east, but there are overlaps, and these would cause enormous difficulties for anyone trying to "target" muslims (by the way i think it's disgraceful we should imagine that we can pick out people of one creed or another for searching at airports. it smacks of making black people take different buses for instance). For instance some of the most fanatical muslims in Britain are converted British-origin nationals. It wouldn't be a hard job for Osama or whoever had the idea to think to himself "OK so the brits are clever enough to be searching all people who look muslim, so we'll put ten pounds of high-explosives on a white person without a skull-cap or tunic".

Why do people link this so closely with religion? it's nothign to do with religion it's about violence, stupidity, bitterness, murder and oil and money.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
If it isn't already in effect..one's religious affiliation should be clearly listed on one's passport, making it easier for the profilers to do their jobs.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
hermanntrude:

Yeah, because there are so many white fanatical muslims blowing up planes and crashing them in to things these days.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
there's definitely something dubious about efficiency if it can be used to justify racisim.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

hermanntrude said:
Why do people link this so closely with religion? it's nothign to do with religion it's about violence, stupidity, bitterness, murder and oil and money.

It is about religion! These Islamic terrorists read the Quran and figure that if they fly planes into buildings, they will go to heaven and get a whole bunch of virgins or something like that.

The Islamic terrorists are also trying to start a Jihad, which if I'm not mistaken means war.

They are starting a war because their religious book is telling them to. This is about religion.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Racism seems to be the answer whenever someone cannot come up with an intelligent argument.I don't care about a PERSON'S RACE,BUT IF A BUNCH OF GREEN PEOPLE STARTED BLOWING UP PLANES,I would be dubious about flying with green people.That is common sense not racism.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

tamarin said:
Here we go with the profiling issue again. An off-shoot of the politically correct movement and its sclerotic crazies, the anti-profilers are a comical lot. Common sense to them is about as appealling as smoking a dried turd.

You're probably not old enough to remember Frantz Fanon's book The Wretched of the Earth or the movie "Battle of Algiers". If you are aware of what these sources teach you would be the first one to say that stereotypes are self-defeating. But then, it takes a smart person to say that.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Surely, you're not going to cite a couple of sources and think you've found the Grail. Stereotypes are not self-defeating. Fanon's entitled to his opinion. And he's also entitled to be wrong. There are gazillions of authors and filmmakers out there and they're all competing for recognition in the ideas marketplace. Lots of interesting stuff said and done. But there are few geniuses.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

wallyj said:
That is common sense not racism.

so you're saying is a policy that discriminates a particular group of people based on their ethnicity is not racism?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
here's why you shouldn't stick with stereotypes -- females suicide bombers:

[url]http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0817/p12s01-woiq.html [/url]

August 17, 2006 edition

Suicide bombings by women in Iraq
Some 50 women have carried out suicide attacks worldwide in the past five years, according to a report by Farhana Alia of the RAND Corp.
(Photograph)
A TV CONFESSION : Sajida Mubarak Atrous al-Rishawi shows the explosives strapped to her body that failed to go off when she and three men entered a Jordanian hotel on Nov. 9, 2005. Although her explosives failed to detonate, the other bombers killed 57 people.
REUTERS/Jordan TV

Since 2003, the report cites at least five suicide bombing cases in Iraq, including an Iraqi woman who traveled to Jordan but failed in her mission. It also includes a Belgian woman who converted to Islam, then went to Iraq.

April 3, 2003: Two women blew up a car at a checkpoint, killing themselves and three US Army Rangers in western Iraq.

Sept. 28, 2005: An Iraqi woman disguised as a man stood among job applicants before detonating an explosive belt outside a US military facility in the city of Tal Afar. Al Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attack, calling her a "blessed sister" affiliated with the Malik Suicidal Brigade.

Nov. 9, 2005: A failed car bombing of US troops killed a female suicide bomber and injured one soldier. The bomber was later identified as Muriel Degauque from Belgium, who had converted to Islam after marrying a Moroccan man.

Nov. 13, 2005: Sajida Mubarak Atrous al-Rishawi, an Iraqi from the city of Fallujah and a would-be suicide bomber, was arrested. She confessed on Jordanian TV that she had participated in a suicide bomb plot the previous week that killed 57 people at three hotels in Amman, Jordan. She said her explosives belt failed to detonate.

May 4, 2006: A female bomber removed an explosives-laden vest when she was denied access to a Baghdad courthouse and left it in a bag outside the building. It exploded and killed at least nine people and wounded 46.

PRECISELY what happened in Algeria.