Fury at 'deliberate' Israeli bombing of UN post

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Canucks and Chinkies were amongst those killed by the Israelis.

Fury at 'deliberate' bombing of UN post

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is at the centre of a diplomatic storm after accusing Israel of deliberately bombing a UN observer post in southern Lebanon, killing at least two peacekeepers.

Two peacekeepers were killed and two were feared dead under the rubble of their post in the town of Khiyam, near the eastern sector of the border.

On hearing the news, Mr Annan rushed out of a Rome hotel where he had been dining with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Lebanon's prime minister on the eve of international talks on the Lebanon crisis.

He said the Israeli hit on the observer post was apparently deliberate and demanded an investigation.

"I am shocked and deeply distressed by the apparently deliberate targeting by Israeli defence forces of a UN observer post in southern Lebanon," Mr Annan said in a statement.

He said the post had been there for a long time, was marked clearly, and was hit despite assurances from Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert that UN positions would not be attacked.

"I call on the government of Israel to conduct a full investigation into this very disturbing incident and demand that any further attack on UN positions and personnel must stop," he added.

But Dan Gillerman, Israel's UN ambassador, reacted furiously, describing Mr Annan's comments as premature and erroneous.

"First of all let me express Israel's deep regret for the tragic incident," he said, adding Israel was investigating. He then 'parroted' Mr Annan, saying he too was shocked and deeply distressed by the hasty statement.

"He went far too far for the seasoned and experienced diplomat that he is. I think that his statement was irresponsible, unfortunate and deplorable," Mr Gillerman said.

Observers from Canada, China, Austria and Finland were among the dead at the UN post, UN and Lebanese officials said.

http://news.aol.co.uk/article.adp?id=20060726023209990001

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Israelis kill Canadians, Chinese, Austrians and Finns.

Times Online July 26, 2006

UN troops carry the body of one of the four unarmed military observers killed, at a hospital in the southern city of Marjayoun, Lebanon (AP/Lotfallah Daher)

Annan points finger at Israel over UN peacekeeper killings
By Philippe Naughton, and Stephen Farrell in the Meron Mountains

Kofi Annan, the UN Secretary-General, accused Israel today of ignoring repeated warnings from United Nations staff before the bombing of a UN observer post in southern Lebanon that killed four peacekeepers.

The bombing last night overshadowed a ministerial conference in Rome today called to formulate an international response to the crisis and came as 13 Israeli soldiers were reported to have been killed in the battle for control of a Hezbollah stronghold near the Israeli border.

Speaking after Arab and Western ministers agreed in Rome to work towards a sustainable ceasefire in Lebanon, Mr Annan said that he accepted the expression of deep regret offered him by Ehud Olmert, the Israel Prime Minister, in a telephone call this morning.

But he refused to back down from his own statement, made only an hour after the bombing, that the attack had been "apparently deliberate", saying that the shelling around the UN base at Khiyam began early in the morning and went on until 7pm, when contact with the post was lost.

He said that during that time UN staff were in constant touch with the Israeli army, "telling them, 'We have people down there, please do not harm them.'"

The BBC reported the contents of an initial UN report into the deaths, which said that UN staff had telephoned Israeli commanders ten times to warn them that the base was in danger of being hit and were reassured each time that the shelling would stop.

In a statement, the Israel Defence Forces confirmed that its soldiers had been operating yesterday in the Khiyam area, from which, it said, Hezbollah guerrillas had been launching rocket attacks against Israel.

"Following an initial inquiry it appears that during the operation the UN post was unintentionally hit," it said. "The IDF expresses deep regret over the incident and stresses that it would never intentionally target any UN facility or personnel. The IDF is launching a full investigation in close co-ordination with the UN."

More than 400 people have been killed in a two-week Israeli offensive on Lebanon, mostly civilians caught up in air strikes. If today's reports are proved correct, more than 50 Israelis have been killed, including 18 civilians killed in Hezbollah rocket fire on northern Israel.

Those attacks continued today - an Israeli official said that at least 119 rockets were fired over the border - despite fierce clashes around the Hezbollah stronghold of Bint Jbeil, where Israeli armoured units have been fighting Hezbollah guerrillas since the weekend.

The al-Jazeera news channel said that 13 Israelis were killed in the fighting. Hussein Rahhal, the Hezbollah chief spokesman, said: "What I can tell you is that 13 Israelis have been burnt alive in their tanks on our land."

Israeli officials confirmed that there had been casualties but gave no more details. If the al-Jazeera report is true it would be the Israeli army's worst day since an ambush in a West Bank refugee camp four years ago, in which 13 soldiers were killed.

As expected, the ministers in Rome failed to agree much more than a form of words expressing their concern for Lebanon, supporting the Lebanese government and calling for Israeli restraint. They also agreed on the need for a UN-mandated force to secure the border zone.

A statement read by Massimo D'Alema, the Italian Foreign Minister, said that they vowed to work "immediately to reach with the utmost urgency a ceasefire that puts an end to the current violence and hostilities". That ceasefire, he said, "must be lasting, permanent and sustainable".

The inclusion of the word "sustainable" was significant since the United States has insisted that no truce could be sought until Israel's prime military objective - the removal of the threat from Hezbollah - is met.

"We have to have a plan that will actually create conditions in which we can have a ceasefire that will be sustainable," said Condoleezza Rice, the US Secretary of State.

The Rome conference featured an impassioned speech from Fouad Siniora, the Lebanese Prime Minister, who asked: "Is the value of human rights in Lebanon less than that of citizens elsewhere? Are we children of a lesser God?"

Mr Siniora said that there were dangers in delaying a ceasefire. "The more we delay a ceasefire, the more we are going to witness more ... of the destruction and more of the aggression against civilians in Lebanon."

Amir Peretz, the Israeli Defence Minister, said yesterday that Israel would maintain a security zone in the south until either a multinational force "with enforcement capability" is deployed on the border, or Hezbollah is pushed back in a cease-fire agreement that also cuts off the supply of its weapons.

"We have no other option," he said. "We have to build a new security strip that would be a cover for our forces."

Much of the discussion focused on who would lead the border force and what its mandate would be. Signor D’Alema said that it would need a UN mandate, while Israel favours a Nato-led force - an idea which Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, the Nato chief, thought was premature.

President Chirac of France told Le Monde that his country could play a major role in an international force, though disarming Hezbollah should not be part of its mandate. He said that Nato should not be involved in the force because "like it or not, it is perceived in the region as the armed wing of the West".

The conflict was also discussed in Kuala Lumpur, at a meeting of foreign ministers from the ten-member Association of South East Asian Nations, observed a minute's silence to mark the death of Du Zhaoyu, a Chinese peacekeeper killed in the Israeli air raid. Mr Du was one of 180 Chinese soldiers and observers deployed in Lebanon.

Li Zhaoxing, the Chinese Foreign Ministers, told reporters: "I am very sad. A young Chinese compatriot and three foreign citizens have sacrificed their lives together.

"A Chinese soldier, a son of the Chinese people, has given up his life for the peace in the Middle East. We should remember this day and not allow his blood to be shed in vain."

In New York, Chinese diplomats were already circulating the draft of a Security Council statement condemning the Israeli action.

The three other peacekeepers killed were reported to be from Austria, Canada and Finland, although the governments of those countries said that they were still waiting official confirmation.

But Erkki Tuomioja, the Finnish Foreign Minister, nevertheless condemned the attack as truly tragic. "These so-called precision attacks seem to be mainly targeting everyone else except the Hezbollah," he said. "The longer this continues, the more likely it is that there will be more similar victims."

thetimesonline.co.uk

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
Kofi Annan has been against Israel from the very start. Then he comes out and states that the attack was deliberate on behalf of Israel before knowing anything about it.

He has been a bad and corrupt U.N. leader much like 95% of all African leaders who come from money.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
RE: Fury at 'deliberate'

It is idiotic to claim this attack was deliberate. What possilbe advantage would there be for Israel doing this deliberately be?

In war, shit happens. How many times have armies shelled their own troop by accident, when they should certainly know where their own troops are. Ever hear the term friendly fire?

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Fury at 'deliberate'

Freethinker said:
It is idiotic to claim this attack was deliberate. What possilbe advantage would there be for Israel doing this deliberately be?

In war, shit happens. How many times have armies shelled their own troop by accident, when they should certainly know where their own troops are. Ever hear the term friendly fire?

That's the kind of shit that really pisses me off. I hate it when people that don't have a friggin' clue, chime in with their ignorant opinions, conclusions, and condemnations. It happens all the time in war. You get some self-serving bastard running amok, telling everybody what is wrong with the situation, and why the victims have to shut up, throw down their arms, and learn to live with it. It just really pisses me off.

Sorry, this rant isn't direct at you, Freethinker. It's directed at the ignorant bastards running the U.N. Maybe if some terrorist organization were bombing Mr. Annan's offices, he would feel differently. What a windbag!!!

Geez, you'd almost think the U.N. was run by the same pieces of crap that operate Blackburn Radio Incorporated. This "we're right and you're wrong" bullshit really pisses me off. Especially when the lectures are coming from the same assholes that are breaking all of the laws, and they don't have a f*cking clue about anything around them! Gawd, I hate assholes like that!!!!!

People like Koffi Annan and Richard Costley-White can kiss my royally ignorant and misinformed ass... Ignorant and misinformed, only in their self-serving and greed-ridden opinions. Gawd, I hate those bastards!!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Israel hit the UN post because they thought they could get awey with it. Guess what, they can. Kofi Annan was exactly right. Annan had already been in touch with that post and he knew that they had contacted the Israelis. Israel have never wanted UN observers near their land grabbing wars. This is just one more example.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
RE: Fury at 'deliberate'

At this time, I cannot really answer the question, though I could speculate.

I will note that Israel can get away with attacking the UN base because if the UN wants to act on something, the US can just veto.

All those times the UN calls for some sort of halt or resolution to a conflict in the West Bank, Gaza, Lebanon, et cetera, the US just vetoes or votes against it (along with Israel). They have a huge record of doing just that.

Saying "shit happens" is a horrible way of marginalizing the murder and hell people are forced to experience in these sorts of conflicts.

And this isn't similar to friendly fire because these aren't Israeli soldiers.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
#juan said:
Israel hit the UN post because they thought they could get awey with it. Guess what, they can. Kofi Annan was exactly right. Annan had already been in touch with that post and he knew that they had contacted the Israelis. Israel have never wanted UN observers near their land grabbing wars. This is just one more example.

Land grabbing Juan what are you smoking today. Israel does not want to make a land grab if they did there would be far more troops, and they wouldn't have been setting up plans for the Lebanese army to take over in those cities.

I think you are forgetting that 6 years ago Israel pulled out of Lebanon.

Don't speak with such ignorance.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Simpleton said:
That's the kind of shit that really pisses me off. I hate it when people that don't have a friggin' clue, chime in with their ignorant opinions, conclusions, and condemnations. It happens all the time in war. You get some self-serving bastard running amok, telling everybody what is wrong with the situation, and why the victims have to shut up, throw down their arms, and learn to live with it. It just really pisses me off.

They had a clue. They were in touch with the Israelis for several hours warning them about targeting the UN outpost. The UN outpost was also clearly marked and had been widely known to be a UN outpost by both sides.

Kofi Annan knew it was deliberate because it was either himself or his office that called Israelis officials to express concern of the outpost being targeted. Not only was the outpost also in touch with Israel but they were keeping a log of what was happening and additionally other outposts continued to keep a log of the attack on the outpost as the situation unfolded.

Those here condemning Kofi Annan response are the ones who are speaking out of turn while not knowing all information or what Kofi Annan would base his accusation on.

What advantage is this for Israel? The obvious one would be the removal of observers over their conduct in this war. If they feel they can get away with it, and only have to bear the brunt of a short term apology, and to have people such as the ones on this board to make excuse for them, then really they get away with it taking very little responsibility.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,19924016-661,00.html

Mr Annan said the post, located in Khiam on the eastern Israeli-Lebanese border, had been there for a long time and was clearly marked.

"I am shocked and deeply distressed by the apparently deliberate targeting by Israeli Defence Forces of a UN observer post in southern Lebanon," Mr Annan said.

"This co-ordinated artillery and aerial attack on a long-established and clearly marked UN post at Khiam occurred despite personal assurances given to me by Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that UN positions would be spared Israeli fire.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=600fc4d6-827b-4de0-bf97-4c462a942553&k=2478

"I am shocked and deeply distressed by the apparently deliberate targeting by Israeli Defence Forces," Annan said in an unusually strong statement. "The co-ordinated artillery and aerial attack on a long established and clearly marked UN post ... occurred despite personal assurances given to me by (Israeli) Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that UN positions would be spared Israeli fire."

They showed pictures of the outpost on CTV. It’s out in the open, looks very distinctive with nothing surrounding it that would cause any confusion. If Israel is spreading misinformation about their lack of knowledge, would you folks be justs as angry with your table pounding?

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Simpleton said:
Sorry, this rant isn't direct at you, Freethinker. It's directed at the ignorant bastards running the U.N. Maybe if some terrorist organization were bombing Mr. Annan's offices, he would feel differently. What a windbag!!!

If a terrorist group did target a UN Outpost, do you think the leadership of the US and the leadership of Canada would be as slow to criticize as they have been up until now for Israel’s actions? Actually, I haven't even heard any real criticism from our government.

They would be on it like bees to honey, tripping over themselves to get out there with their condemnations.

Even when the National Post erroneously put out a story that Iran was going to create clothing that identified different groups such as Jews, Harper ran out there with his condemnations without scrutinizing whether it might be false. I don’t remember the same anger from people here for Harper spreading misinformation that would result in an attitude of unfair condemnation.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
I was in support of Israel in the situation in Lebanon, but they have gone over the line with this UN observer post bombing.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Land grabbing?! WTF? Why would Israel pull out of Lebanon six years ago if it wanted Lebanese land? Israel gave back the entire Sinai twice.

Land for peace has been tried and tried...and has failed.

The UN Force sits and watches Hizbollah and condemns Israel when it responds. The UN need to get the hell out of a war zone if they are not there to fight.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Israeli military have just come out with their report on the matter.

It is JUST out, so nobody in the Canadian gov't has had an opportunity to study or comment on it.

The newscast I saw says the Israelis say their soldiers in the area were working off a HAND DRAWN map that identified the UN post as a Hezbollah strong point.............and that there was intense Hezbollah activity in the immediate area (they killed 17 Hezbollah fighters there).

None the less, the Israelis claim to have ceased fire with artillery after receiving protests from the UN about the proximity of shellfire to the post..............unfortunately, (according to the Israelis) other troops in the same area called in an air strike........and hit the UN position.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The UN outpost was not a foxhole. It was a fairly large concrete structure that could have housed a dozen people. It was on the high ground, a half mile from anything. It had a large UN flag on a flag pole and UN in big black letters on all sides. How could a competent military like the Israelis have hit it by accident? The UN outpost was hit by a large laser guided bomb. Someone had to illuminate the target until the bomb hit. Accident? Bullshit!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:
The UN outpost was not a foxhole. It was a fairly large concrete structure that could have housed a dozen people. It was on the high ground, a half mile from anything. It had a large UN flag on a flag pole and UN in big black letters on all sides. How could a competent military like the Israelis have hit it by accident? The UN outpost was hit by a large laser guided bomb. Someone had to illuminate the target until the bomb hit. Accident? Bullshit!!

Yeah, as I understand it laser guided bombs require ground personel "light up" the target with a laser while the bomb is delivered. It seems odd.

But the other question is, why would Israel purposely hit a UN outpost? It is counter-productive, which would lead one to believe, as unlikely as it seems, the attack was accidental.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Colpy said:
But the other question is, why would Israel purposely hit a UN outpost? It is counter-productive, which would lead one to believe, as unlikely as it seems, the attack was accidental.

It was not accidental, israel never cared about the UN, they violated all resolution targetting to them, in total about 70 resolutions, same for the international court de la hague, along with china and united states, in fact, israel just doesnt care about any international law, apperently they are immune from them, i guess the fact they have an amazing lobby, should help, that is also the case with saudi arabia.

If the war on terror would have been against some key people in the house of saud, i would have certainly buy it, but since it seems they don't even exist, it is all about lies.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
UN observers were in contact with the Israelis. The Israelis knew they were bombing a UN observation post.

Why Would Israelis Kill UN Observers?

The U.N. is in a position to dispute the Katyusha Rocket nonsense, and some of their outposts witnessed the massacre at Maroun Al Ras, Yaroun, and Bint Jibeil.. UN observation points are stationed on the border fence, near these remote villages, and see everything the Israelis are doing.

UNIFIL is objecting, they insist the katyushas are located a few miles behind this area, and they saw no reason to devastate these farmers. The executions were meant to send a message, so there is a real possibility that UN Observers took video of Israelis executing farmers.

http://judicial-inc.biz/israelis_firing_on_un_observers.htm

before

Looks like a UN outpost to me.

after

Still looks like a UN outpost

UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon contacted Israeli troops 10 times before an Israeli bomb killed four of them, an initial UN report says. The post was hit by a precision-guided missile after six hours of shelling, diplomats familiar with the probe say.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5217176.stm

The USS Liberty incident:

http://www.ussliberty.org/

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I actually met an Israli a few days ago, and he'd given this possible explanation. While the Un primarily communicate with higher ups in English, English is still a second or foreign language for the average Israli soldier. This means that any communication would have had to go through at least a few channels from the top brass who can communicate with the UN down to the soldiers who couldn't communicate directly with the UN post due to the language barrier.

How probable is that explanation? Well, while I can accept the language argument, I would still have thought that higher ranking Isreali authorities who knew of the Un post would have ensured that ALL Israeli soldiers in the area would have known about it.

So if it is an accident, then higher ups who failed to inform their troops clearly of the situation are guilty of gross incompetence. And in the event that the UN outpost should ahve needed to communicate directly with the soldiers on the ground, one would have thought that an Israeli soldier with even highschool education could at least figure out that what he was hering on the radio was not Arabic, and that maybe it would be wise to try to find someone who did know Enlgish to figure out what was going on before shelling. I'm sure they could have waited a short time to figuere things out, depending on what happenned. But I guess we'll just need to wait and see.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If it was an accident? Look at the building. It didn't suddenly appear. Its been there in plain sight for years. It's not like that's the only one and they never saw one before.

How much more clearly marked can it get?

The question isn't "Did Israel know it was a UN outpost?", but "Why did Israel bomb a UN outpost?"