For Lebanon

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
Youmy...I am lebanese myself ..and here is another website that might do more than the petition
http://fromisrael2lebanon.com/
now, before anyone start firing at me as i've watched some of the posts...I am a lebanese- Canadian and I am conservative ...I've voted conservative all my life in Canada ...
what someone needs to explain to me ...what have the lebanese pple done to deserve all this? It's a nation that has been trying to stand on its feet for more than 30 yrs ...I was born in 1976, experienced three wars already in my country that my country didn't cause or start between the syrians the israelis and the palestinians lebanon is a leaf in the fall.

Today, Hezbollah is a terrorist organization fed and armed by Iran and Syria, it is a disease in the body of the Lebanon as much as it is a disease in the body of Peace...
Botton line Israel went way too far ...4 days ago the lebanese army was against hezbollah and at heart with Israel ...what have the lebanese army done to be fired at and for more than 20 of its pure soldiers to be killed in this brutal way? what have the lebanese army done for its medicine convoy to be bombed .
Lebanon is a cosmopolitan country , the only country in the ME that pple from 18 religions co-exist in it with no problems ...It's to the world's advantage for lebanon to be stable...
why do we always have to pay someone else's bill? Today we have half a million refugees with no food , water or medicine ....Could someone tell me ...Where is the international community? Could someone explain to me why was Rice's visit to ME delayed until the" proper time"? Could someone tell me in 7 days of heavy bombarding , How is Israel or Lebanon one step closer to Peace ....few days ago lots of lebanese were happy that Israel is trying to take care of Hezbollah...but today Israel is uniting the lebanese without its intentions to...
Does the world have any decency left?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Canadian with a hyphen said:
Youmy...I am lebanese myself ..and here is another website that might do more than the petition
now Saint Lucifier before u start firing at me ...i've watched some of ur posts...I am a lebanese- Canadian and I am conservative ...I've voted conservative all my life in Canada ...what someone needs to explain to me ...what have the lebanese pple done to deserve all this? It's a nation that has been trying to stand on its feet for more than 30 yrs ...I was born in 1976, experienced three wars already in my country that my country didn't cause or start...Hezbollah is a terrorist organization fed and armed by Iran and Syria it is a disease in the body of the Lebanon as much as it is a disease in the body of Peace...
Botton line Israel went way too far ...4 days ago the lebanese army was against hezbollah and at heart with Israel ...what have the lebanese army done to be fired at and for more than 20 of its pure soldiers to be killed in this brutal way....lebanon is a cosmopolitan country , the only country in the middleast that pple from 18 religions co-exist in it with no problems ...why do we always have to pay someone else's bill ...today we have half a million refugees with no food , water or medicine ....Could someone tell me ...Where is the international community? Could someone explain to me why was Rice's visit to ME delayed until the" proper time"? Could someone tell me in 7 days of heavy bombarding , How is Israel or Lebanon one step closer to Peace ....few days ago lost of lebanese were happy that Israel is trying to take care of Hezbollah...but today Israel is uniting the lebanese without its intentions to...

First of all I should like to ask of you a question. Were you born in Canada or Lebanon?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
now, before anyone start firing at me as i've watched some of the posts...I am a lebanese- Canadian and I am conservative ...I've voted conservative all my life in Canada ...
what someone needs to explain to me ...what have the lebanese pple done to deserve all this? It's a nation that has been trying to stand on its feet for more than 30 yrs ...I was born in 1976, experienced three wars already in my country that my country didn't cause or start between the syrians the israelis and the palestinians lebanon is a leaf in the fall.

Today, Hezbollah is a terrorist organization fed and armed by Iran and Syria, it is a disease in the body of the Lebanon as much as it is a disease in the body of Peace...
Botton line Israel went way too far ...4 days ago the lebanese army was against hezbollah and at heart with Israel ...what have the lebanese army done to be fired at and for more than 20 of its pure soldiers to be killed in this brutal way? what have the lebanese army done for its medicine convoy to be bombed .
Lebanon is a cosmopolitan country , the only country in the ME that pple from 18 religions co-exist in it with no problems ...It's to the world's advantage for lebanon to be stable...
why do we always have to pay someone else's bill? Today we have half a million refugees with no food , water or medicine ....Could someone tell me ...Where is the international community? Could someone explain to me why was Rice's visit to ME delayed until the" proper time"? Could someone tell me in 7 days of heavy bombarding , How is Israel or Lebanon one step closer to Peace ....few days ago lots of lebanese were happy that Israel is trying to take care of Hezbollah...but today Israel is uniting the lebanese without its intentions to...

Alright. You answered my question so you are indeed Lebanese-Canadian. Now I ask, which would you put first? Canada or Lebanon? If you state the latter please don't let the door hit you where your mythical God split you. I note you keep calling Lebanon 'my country'. If you are here in Canada this is your country. If you keep stating your preference for Lebanon as your home country then perhaps you would be more comfortable living there yes? You know where our airports are. Use them.

I find it interesting that you have accepted the fact Hezbollah is indeed a terrorist organisation and not 'freedom fighters' many in the Mideast purport them to be (what exactly are they fighting for?). You state in your post that the Lebanese Army was against Hezbollah. Quite untrue because if they were they would have used force to put a stop to Hezbollah firing rockets into Israel and killing innocent Israeli civilians in the process. You would think Lebanon had learned the lessons of 1981? I suppose not. Lebanese must either be incredibly stupid or frightened of mere terrorists.

You claim Israel went too far in its actions. Hezbollah were killing innocent Israeli civilians from within the borders of Lebanon. This alone makes Lebanon culpable. By international law Israel has the right to invade Lebanon if they so desired. The protection of her citizens is paramount as it rightly should be. Whatever fate Lebanon suffers in the process the Lebanese should have thought about this before allowing Hezbollah to operate at will within their borders.

You are aware there are members of Hezbollah in the Lebanese government? Seems the Lebanese wanted this as part of their scheme for 'fair representation'. I am amazed Lebanon allowed this. They expected Israel to sit there and agree that was a good idea? I would bet the Israelis knew it was going to come to this.

I grow weary of the Lebanese whining about how tough they have it yet they brought it all upon themselves. Lebanon has an army. Use it to drive out Hezbollah because they are the cause of instability in Lebanon. Not only does Lebanon allow Hezbollah to exist within their own borders, an act of war in itself, but Lebanon allows them to be part and parcel of their government. A terrorist organisation that has a full say in the daily running of Lebanon. That makes Lebanon a tasty target. Were I leader of Israel with my fascist underpinnings Lebanon today would be completely under Israeli rule as would Gaza. It is my opinion Israel's reaction to Hezbollah's activities is actually restrained. There is no way I as leader would take this crap. Lebanon under my rule would have been reduced to rubble with my military massed at the Lebanese/Syrian border as a warning to Syria.

In this post you whine about the fate of the Lebanese people. Do not the Israeli civilians who are being killed by so many rocket attacks deserve the same sympathy? Just as you claim Lebanese civilians had nothing to do with what is happening the same can be said of Israeli civilians. The difference between the two situations would lie in the fact Hezbollah started all of this with the kidnapping of 2 Israeli soldiers and the murder of 8 others in Israeli territory! This is considered an invasion. Lebanon knew all this but chose not to do anything about it so Israel was forced to take matters into their own hands and they did. Why no mention of the fact Hamas had been lobbing rockets into Israel before the attacks on the IDF soldiers?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
To: SaintLucifer
Posted: Jul 19th, 2006 8:25 pm
Subject: lebanese Quote message

so Mr. Saint i was born in lebanon ...why?
bring it on ...show me what u've got...but plz don't be pull an aeon on me ...

Bwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa!

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Near as I can tell, it's not what Lebanon did, so much as it is what they didn't do. Lebanon has to take responsibility for attacks that are initiated from within its border. If Lebanon were to actively pursue and eliminate Hezbollah, then perhaps Israel and Lebanon could work together toward that end, and the bloodshed could stop. However, if Lebanon is going to allow terrorist organizations to have free reign over its land, and to mount attacks without any action from Lebonese officials, then I think it's entirely fair for Lebanon to shoulder some of the blame.

Essentially, Israel is saying: Keep the bastards out of Israel, and we'll leave you alone.

I think that's fair. Don't you?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Simpleton said:
Near as I can tell, it's not what Lebanon did, so much as it is what they didn't do. Lebanon has to take responsibility for attacks that are initiated from within its border. If Lebanon were to actively pursue and eliminate Hezbollah, then perhaps Israel and Lebanon could work together toward that end, and the bloodshed could stop. However, if Lebanon is going to allow terrorist organizations to have free reign over its land, and to mount attacks without any action from Lebonese officials, then I think it's entirely fair for Lebanon to shoulder some of the blame.

Essentially, Israel is saying: Keep the bastards out of Israel, and we'll leave you alone.

Alright people. We have here my commie puppet. It's name is Simpleton with good reason. Here he has posted in a manner identical to my post in this same thread.

Dance puppet dance!

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
SaintLucifer said:

WOW...the ultimate ignorance....well...I will not even reply for many reasons...one of them is i didn't read ur whole reply , as soon as i read the first two paragraphs i noticed that u missed all my points...
I congratulate u on ur stupidity ...this is all that u've got...ur crossed out (xx)

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:

Alright people. We have here my commie puppet. It's name is Simpleton with good reason. Here he has posted in a manner identical to my post in this same thread.

Dance puppet dance!

Actually, Saint Lucy, if you check the times of your post and mine, you'll see that your post had not yet been submitted when I had penned my post. You must have beaten me to the "Submit" button. If I had read your post prior to typing mine, I wouldn't have bothered. :wink:

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
SaintLucifer said:

WOW...the ultimate ignorance....well...I will not even reply for many reasons...one of them is i didn't read ur whole reply , as soon as i read the first two paragraphs i noticed that u missed all my points...
I congratulate u on ur stupidity ...this is all that u've got...ur crossed out (xx)

He's crossed out? What does that mean? You're not sending him a Christmas card this year?

For the record, I read your post, and I took all of your points into consideration. I think it is you that is missing the point.

If Lebanon has terrorists operating in its country, whose responsibility is it to capture and eliminate those terrorists? Is it Israels? Is it Americas? No! It's Lebanon's responsibility to do something about them.

If Lebanon doesn't do anything about them, and they attack Israel, whose responsibility is it to go after them? Is it Lebanons? Damn right! Is it Israel's responsibility to ensure that Lebanon goes after them? Damn right!

You may be correct in your insistance that Israel has used exceptional force in making their case, but the fact remains that the case had to be made. Are we supposed to ask Israel to accept this kind of activity? No! We can't do that.

I happen to agree with Saint Lucy on this particualr point, though I agree with him on little else. Israel has an obligation to her own peoples first and foremost. The safety and well-being of the Lebonese people rests with the Lebonese government. To this end, the Lebonese government has an obligation to root out any anti-Isreal factions that could or would bring the two countries to war. Clearly, Lebanon does not appear to be overly concerned with the actions of Hezbollah. Israel, however, being the target of Hezbollah, has every right to be concerned, and to act on that concern.

I will agree that war is never an acceptable action, but playing dead and pretending that there aren't people trying to kill you, is a fools game. If you haven't noticed, the Israelis are not fools -- and they have no intention of playing the fool anytime soon.

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
Simpleton said:
SaintLucifer said:

He's crossed out? What does that mean? You're not sending him a Christmas card this year?

For the record, I read your post, and I took all of your points into consideration. I think it is you that is missing the point.

If Lebanon has terrorists operating in its country, whose responsibility is it to capture and eliminate those terrorists? Is it Israels? Is it Americas? No! It's Lebanon's responsibility to do something about them.

If Lebanon doesn't do anything about them, and they attack Israel, whose responsibility is it to go after them? Is it Lebanons? Damn right! Is it Israel's responsibility to ensure that Lebanon goes after them? Damn right!

You may be correct in your insistance that Israel has used exceptional force in making their case, but the fact remains that the case had to be made. Are we supposed to ask Israel to accept this kind of activity? No! We can't do that.

I happen to agree with Saint Lucy on this particualr point, though I agree with him on little else. Israel has an obligation to her own peoples first and foremost. The safety and well-being of the Lebonese people rests with the Lebonese government. To this end, the Lebonese government has an obligation to root out any anti-Isreal factions that could or would bring the two countries to war. Clearly, Lebanon does not appear to be overly concerned with the actions of Hezbollah. Israel, however, being the target of Hezbollah, has every right to be concerned, and to act on that concern.

I will agree that war is never an acceptable action, but playing dead and pretending that there aren't people trying to kill you, is a fools game. If you haven't noticed, the Israelis are not fools -- and they have no intention of playing the fool anytime soon.

no i am actually sending u and him a special kind of card...

if u understand lebanon's history...you wouldn't have said the lebanese goverenment is responsible ...FYI the lebanese government was in the process of disarming hezbollah...and again if u or SaintLucifier knew what ur talking about u would have heard about " jalssat l hiwar l watani" to disarm hizbollah that were going on for 2 weeks ..but guess what ? Israel's bombardements came to unite lebanese after them targeting areas where hezbollah doesn't even have any presence...and what hizbollah did is they lit the situation so they can tell the government that was trying to find a solution for their presence as terrorist organization without causing a civil war '' See we told ya , Israel is our enemeny and they would attack us anytime"
Israel fell in the trap of Hizbollah ...Lebanon land and people paid the price..Hizbollah had annouced today that they haven't used 5% of their weapons yet ...Oh great! aren't we a step closer to Peace?
I believe the lebanese opinion is what matters here just for that small reason that we-lebanese- actually are alooooooot closer to the situation (this is in reply to you thinking that it is me that misses the point) so u either learn or I appreciate your silence...

I recommend u read a book or two for "Gibran Khalil Gibran" ...u can find them in english as u may not wanna read them in arabic ...education is good ...I don't pretend that i know all about canadian politics ...I learn alot everyday ..and so should all who don't know much about politics in the ME ...just one last and most important point ...Israel has every right to exist and to live in Peace ..Israel's children shouldn't live in fear but on the other side nothing justifies Israel using weapons banned internationally and here is the http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=12599 lebanon was very close to signing a peace treaty with Israel ...Israel shot itself in the foot...that is too bad...I dreamt to see that in my lifetime...

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Simpleton said:
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:

Dance puppet dance!

Actually, Saint Lucy, if you check the times of your post and mine, you'll see that your post had not yet been submitted when I had penned my post. You must have beaten me to the "Submit" button. If I had read your post prior to typing mine, I wouldn't have bothered. :wink:

40 minute difference. It took you over 40 minutes to complete your post? Damn but that is some slow typing. My post was completed long, long, long before yours but I am honoured that you would seek to use my own words for your post. If you wish to elevate your own standing here this is exactly how one may do it.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Israel fell in the trap of Hizbollah ...Lebanon land and people paid the price..Hizbollah had annouced today that they haven't used 5% of their weapons yet ...Oh great! aren't we a step closer to Peace?
I believe the lebanese opinion is what matters here just for that small reason that we actually are alooooooot closer to the situation...so u either learn or I appreciate your silence...

See what I mean. That's precisely what I mean!

You said that Israel fell into Hezbollah's trap. I can understand your bias toward Lebanon, but you're not being sympathetic to the plight of Israel. How many traps do you want Israel to fall into, before they say: Enough is enough.

I watch the news too! I don't have family in Lebanon, nor do I have family in Israel, but does that really matter? I don't think so. I think I am perfectly capable of forming an objective opinion based on what I witness. I needn't be a direct or indirect victim of the hostilities, in order to share my observations. I don't condemn you for your bias, but you're asking that Israel shoulder attacks that they have no obligation to shoulder.

Consider the attacks on the World Trade Center. Granted, the degree of the attack on Israel pales in comparison to the attacks orchestrated by Al Quaida on the USA, but the precedent is there. In response to those attacks, the USA went to war in Afghanistan. Why? Because that's where Al Quaida were basing their operations. Clearly, Afghan officials had no interest in acting against Al Quaida, so the US had to do something.

If I seem cold and unsympathetic to your country's turmoil and hurt, please don't view my comments in that light. I'm just trying to be reasonable. And if the Lebonese government knows that organizations like Hezbollah have the power to bring Israel's wrath upon them, then they should have taken far greater action than has been the case. I don't think that Israel would have been adverse to early Lebonese warning that something was amiss. I mean, what did you expect?

I feel for you and your people, I really do. But I'm not about to take sides on whose lives are more valuable or of greater concern. I believe that each side has an obligation to ensuring that peace is made and maintained. I just don't feel that Israel should have to shrug off attacks by other organizations that operate in other nations, that don't appear to give a shit until they're getting their own asses blasted to kingdom come. I mean, when the bombs are falling at your doorstep, it's a little too late to be saying that you tried for two weeks to rid your country of Hezbollah.

As for me maintaining silence, I am just a simple nobody. My opinions are of little value to anyone, and I am entirely within my right to voice them. And with all due respect, it's really not my obligation to learn of your nation's age old hostility problems. I really think that it is you people that need to get your act together and put your foot down. If you can't help yourselves, how can you honestly expect anyone else to help you? I'm sorry, but no one can bring peace to a country that just doesn't want to have peace.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:

Dance puppet dance!

40 minute difference. It took you over 40 minutes to complete your post? Damn but that is some slow typing. My post was completed long, long, long before yours but I am honoured that you would seek to use my own words for your post. If you wish to elevate your own standing here this is exactly how one may do it.

You posted at 8:40! I posted at 8:47! That's a seven minute difference!
:p

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
simpleton..I actually enjoyed reading this reply...you make alot of sense in alot of what you say ...but keep in mind that we just had our first democratic elections in 30 yrs without the interference of Syria...for the first time in a long time we do have our act together ...if you remember the news from last year when we kicked syria out of our country...we said enough is enough....we said that the to road to Jerusalem does NOT go through Beirut...these unfortunate events came as a shock Hezbollah made the trap for its own governement and for Israel..as I stated in my previous post that the fragile government of Lebanon was on its way to make a plan to disarm hezbollah...the government went ballistic about the abductions of the two soldiers and teh killing of the other six .My dad is a retired general from the lebanese army and I know this for a fact...the army was getting extensive training for taking over the south and disarming hezbollah...even the israeli generals said we want to see a stable lebanon...why did they go that far? I simply don't know...why did they target the civilians that were in massive riots last year to kick syria out and say enough to terrorism? I also don't know...
Doesn't Israel want an end to Terrorism? we started our mission with the help of the international community ...let us finish ...we were on the way ...on the way a step closer to reach out and shake hands ...

I agree ..you have every right to voice ur opinion...I just take it very personal when my country is misunderstood and make no mistake simpleton...I take very personal if anyone attack or misunderstand the canadian position or politics in any given situation...I sometimes don't know which country I love more ...Canada or Lebanon....

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
I signed a petition in support of a ceasefire when i attended a rally at the Alberta Legislature today held by Edmonton's Lebanese community.

Incidently, I am Canadian born and bred protestant of Ukranian/Scottish/English/German decent. So not everyone that thinks this atrocity is wrong is lebaneese or arab.

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
Re: RE: For Lebanon

Semperfi_dani said:
I signed a petition in support of a ceasefire when i attended a rally at the Alberta Legislature today held by Edmonton's Lebanese community.

Incidently, I am Canadian born and bred protestant of Ukranian/Scottish/English/German decent. So not everyone that thinks this atrocity is wrong is lebaneese or arab.

I can't agree more semperfi ...there was a protest in Calgary that had unkranians ,germans, Italians, jews and a huge amount of conervative canadians ...

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
simpleton..I actually enjoyed reading this reply...you make alot of sense in alot of what you say ...but keep in mind that we just had our first democratic elections in 30 yrs without the interference of Syria...for the first time in a long time we do have our act together ...if you remember the news from last year when we kicked syria out of our country...we said enough is enough....we said that the to road to Jerusalem does NOT go through Beirut...these unfortunate events came as a shock Hezbollah made the trap for its own governement and for Israel..as I stated in my previous post that the fragile government of Lebanon was on its way to make a plan to disarm hezbollah...the government went ballistic about the abductions of the two soldiers and teh killing of the other six .My dad is a retired general from the lebanese army and I know this for a fact...the army was getting extensive training for taking over the south and disarming hezbollah...even the israeli generals said we want to see a stable lebanon...why did they go that far? I simply don't know...why did they target the civilians that were in massive riots last year to kick syria out and say enough to terrorism? I also don't know...
Doesn't Israel want an end to Terrorism? we started our mission with the help of the international community ...let us finish ...we were on the way ...on the way a step closer to reach out and shake hands ...

I agree ..you have every right to voice ur opinion...I just take it very personal when my country is misunderstood and make no mistake simpleton...I take very personal if anyone attack or misunderstand the canadian position or politics in any given situation...I sometimes don't know which country I love more ...Canada or Lebanon....

You sir are a liar. The Lebanese never kicked Syria out. It was the UN (UN Security Council Resolutions 520 and 1559).

RESOLUTION 1559 (2004)

Adopted by the Security Council at its 5028th meeting, on 2 September 2004

The Security Council,

Recalling all its previous resolutions on Lebanon, in particular resolutions 425 (1978) and 426 (1978) of 19 March 1978, resolution 520 (1982) of 17 September 1982, and resolution 1553 (2004) of 29 July 2004 as well as the statements of its President on the situation in Lebanon, in particular the statement of 18 June 2000 (S/PRST/2000/21),

Reiterating its strong support for the territorial integrity, sovereignty and political independence of Lebanon within its internationally recognized borders,

Noting the determination of Lebanon to ensure the withdrawal of all non- Lebanese forces from Lebanon,

Gravely concerned at the continued presence of armed militias in Lebanon, which prevent the Lebanese Government from exercising its full sovereignty over all Lebanese territory,

Reaffirming the importance of the extension of the control of the Government of Lebanon over all Lebanese territory,

Mindful of the upcoming Lebanese presidential elections and underlining the importance of free and fair elections according to Lebanese constitutional rules devised without foreign interference or influence,

Reaffirms its call for the strict respect of the sovereignty, territorial integrity, unity, and political independence of Lebanon under the sole and exclusive authority of the Government of Lebanon throughout Lebanon;

Calls upon all remaining foreign forces to withdraw from Lebanon;

Calls for the disbanding and disarmament of all Lebanese and non- Lebanese militias;

Supports the extension of the control of the Government of Lebanon over all Lebanese territory;

Declares its support for a free and fair electoral process in Lebanon’s upcoming presidential election conducted according to Lebanese constitutional rules devised without foreign interference or influence;

Calls upon all parties concerned to cooperate fully and urgently with the Security Council for the full implementation of this and all relevant resolutions concerning the restoration of the territorial integrity, full sovereignty, and political independence of Lebanon;

Requests that the Secretary-General report to the Security Council within thirty days on the implementation by the parties of this resolution and decides to remain actively seized of the matter.

Christ on a stick! The Lebanese cannot do anything themselves! No wonder the bloody Israelis had to take matters into their own hands.

Hezbollah fighting Israel leaves Lebanese divided
By Associated Press
July 15, 2006

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Heroic fighters to some, dangerous militia to others. Hezbollah, the group that began the latest round of bloody fighting with Israel, has deepened a longtime divide in Lebanon.

While Hezbollah supporters celebrated in the streets, other Lebanese were furious at being dragged into a costly confrontation with the Jewish state.

"I don't support Hezbollah's operation at all, because it gives a pretext for Israeli aggression on Lebanon," said Ibrahim al-Hajj, 50, a Christian Maronite who owns a shoe store in the southern village of Qleia. "As long as Hezbollah has its weapons and acts according to its leader's whims, there is pretext for Israel to keep on destroying Lebanon."

The divisions have paralyzed the Lebanese Cabinet, which includes two Hezbollah ministers but is dominated by politicians critical of Syria, the Shiite Muslim's group longtime backer. Emergency sessions this week were torn by bickering over how to respond to Hezbollah's capture of two Israeli soldiers that provoked Israel's assault.

"The government is helpless," said former President Amin Gemayel, a longtime critic of Hezbollah. "Hezbollah took a unilateral action, but its repercussions will affect the entire country."

The Cabinet this week managed only to agree on a statement insisting the government did not condone Hezbollah's actions. Ministers from Hezbollah and Amal, another Shiite movement, rejected an assertion that Lebanon should control its entire territory.

Israel has long pressed Lebanon to disarm Hezbollah and send troops to the southern border with Israel, where the guerrillas have near autonomy. But the government has refused, in part because it views Hezbollah as a legitimate resistance group.

Also, the guerrillas remain popular for their role in pushing Israel to withdraw from its self-declared security zone in southern Lebanon in 2000, ending an 18-year occupation.

With the political divisions in mind, Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah warned domestic opponents against "acting in a way that encourages the enemy against Lebanon."

Israeli raids have sent thousands fleeing southern Beirut, stirring up memories of Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war. A taxi driver kept up a tirade against Hezbollah as he drove through the capital's near empty streets.

"Why did you do it now, Sayyed Nasrallah?" he asked, refusing to give his name, fearing repercussions. "Why now? Couldn't you have waited a couple of months? Just two months until the tourists had left? Is this resistance? Ruining your country?"

As in everything else in this country, the split is mostly along sectarian lines, with Shiites largely supporting Hezbollah's action and Sunnis, Christians and Druse, a Muslim sect originating in Lebanon and Syria, mostly opposing it. Lebanon's Sunni leadership turned heavily anti-Syrian after the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri last year, an attack many Lebanese blamed on Syria.

The divide, however, is not clear-cut.

"Even if all our homes are destroyed, we will continue to support the resistance," said Mohsem Musulmani, a grocer in the southern port of Sidon, a predominantly Sunni city. "The resistance will always be the pride of the Arab and Islamic nation."

Chibli Mallat, a professor of international law, wrote in an editorial published by the Daily Star on Friday that "Hezbollah cannot go it alone and expect the government and the country as a whole to accept the sacrifices that all are suffering,"

"Moderates among us will be unable to prevent this divisiveness from developing into an unbridgeable gulf within the nation," he said.

So little time, so much bullshit. Lebanon had never attempted to disarm Hezbollah. Many Lebanese view Hezbollah as heroes for 'driving the Israelis out of Southern Lebanon' forgetful of the fact they were the reason Israel invaded in the first place.

You claim to be uncertain as to where your loyalties lie - Lebanon or Canada. I could solve this problem for you. Purchase for yourself an airline ticket and get the fuck out of my country. I am tired of people with divided loyalties living in Canada. You are either Canadian or Lebanese. You cannot be both. Stay and be 100% Canadian or leave and be 100% Lebanese. No 50-50 bullshit. This is my country and I want Canadians to be Canadians. No semi-Canadians if you please. I love my country with all of my nationalistic fervor and I would beg of you to leave if you do not share my love of Canada.