Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The British were once one of the most pro-American countries in Europe.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll Sun Jul 2, 11:12 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - People in Britain view the United States as a vulgar, crime-ridden society obsessed with money and led by an incompetent president whose Iraq policy is failing, according to a newspaper poll.

The United States is no longer a symbol of hope to Britain and the British no longer have confidence in their transatlantic cousins to lead global affairs, according to the poll published in The Daily Telegraph.

The YouGov poll found that 77 percent of respondents disagreed with the statement that the US is "a beacon of hope for the world".

As Americans prepared to celebrate the 230th anniversary of their independence on Tuesday, the poll found that only 12 percent of Britons trust them to act wisely on the global stage. This is half the number who had faith in the Vietnam-scarred White House of 1975.

A massive 83 percent of those questioned said that the United States doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks.

With much of the worst criticism aimed at the US adminstration, the poll showed that 70 percent of Britons like Americans a lot or a little.

US President George W. Bush fared significantly worse, with just one percent rating him a "great leader" against 77 percent who deemed him a "pretty poor" or "terrible" leader.

More than two-thirds who offered an opinion said America is essentially an imperial power seeking world domination. And 81 per cent of those who took a view said President George W Bush hypocritically championed democracy as a cover for the pursuit of American self-interests.

US policy in Iraq was similarly derided, with only 24 percent saying they felt that the US military action there was helping to bring democracy to the country.

A spokesman for the American embassy said that the poll's findings were contradicted by its own surveys.

"We question the judgment of anyone who asserts the world would be a better place with Saddam still terrorizing his own nation and threatening people well beyond Iraq's borders," the paper quoted the unnamed spokesman as saying.

"With respect to the poll's assertions about American society, we bear some of the blame for not successfully communicating America's extraordinary dynamism.

"But frankly, so do you (the British press)."

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business.

news.yahoo.com

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't know about the statistics now, but I remember about ten years ago comming across a poll showing that US ceitizens gave more free hours per capita to communityservice than any other developped nation, Canada comming in second (sorry Canada, but the truth is the truth).

Now whether or not those statistics are the same, I dont know, but it would be interesting to see. becasue if so, that would show that, while the US government is possibly among the most incompetent of all developped nations, the US peopel would be the MOST civic minded, as individuals outside the realm of politics, than any other nation.

Anyway, I'd have to find that statistic again, but just to point out that the US does have admirable qualities.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
But isn't Britain also a " a vulgar, crime-ridden society obsessed with money and led by an incompetent" - prime minister? It takes one to know one. Kettles and pots seldom lack for company.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Britons tire of cruel

Toro said:
Where is Britain anyways?

You're an American and you don't know where Britain is? Britain, I believe, is the only G8 country that supported Bush's invasion of Iraq. Without Britain, Bush's support around the world would be hovering at or about zero.

Britain is the only saving grace that the Bush administration has. I've no idea why the British government does not chastise the U.S. administration. The best that I can offer, is the very obvious remark that Tony Blair is no Winston Churchill.

Champloo

Nominee Member
Jun 29, 2006

Simpleton said:
Toro said:

You're an American and you don't know where Britain is? Britain, I believe, is the only G8 country that supported Bush's invasion of Iraq. Without Britain, Bush's support around the world would be hovering at or about zero.

Britain is the only saving grace that the Bush administration has. I've no idea why the British government does not chastise the U.S. administration. The best that I can offer, is the very obvious remark that Tony Blair is no Winston Churchill.

Also, I think you need to work on your sarcasm detecting skills. I believe he was making a crack at how no one in the states seems to ever think, nor care about Britain.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org

Champloo said:
Simpleton said:
Toro said:

Also, I think you need to work on your sarcasm detecting skills. I believe he was making a crack at how no one in the states seems to ever think, nor care about Britain.

I was making a crack about how Bush's pretty face graced the daily news and proudly proclaimed, "...and Britain." The coalition of the willing?

I might say the same for you. As I was being very sarcastic, myself.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Simpleton said:
Toro said:

Nice work Toro, you're actually getting better at it. :lol:

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada

Toro said:
Simpleton said:
Toro said:

What?

I'd like to see the figures on that.

Uncle

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Blackleaf said:
The British were once one of the most pro-American countries in Europe.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll Sun Jul 2, 11:12 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - People in Britain view the United States as a vulgar, crime-ridden society obsessed with money and led by an incompetent president whose Iraq policy is failing, according to a newspaper poll.

The United States is no longer a symbol of hope to Britain and the British no longer have confidence in their transatlantic cousins to lead global affairs, according to the poll published in The Daily Telegraph.

The YouGov poll found that 77 percent of respondents disagreed with the statement that the US is "a beacon of hope for the world".

As Americans prepared to celebrate the 230th anniversary of their independence on Tuesday, the poll found that only 12 percent of Britons trust them to act wisely on the global stage. This is half the number who had faith in the Vietnam-scarred White House of 1975.

A massive 83 percent of those questioned said that the United States doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks.

With much of the worst criticism aimed at the US adminstration, the poll showed that 70 percent of Britons like Americans a lot or a little.

US President George W. Bush fared significantly worse, with just one percent rating him a "great leader" against 77 percent who deemed him a "pretty poor" or "terrible" leader.

news.yahoo.com

Well, everything what it said is true, but coming from british is quite laughable, id like to point out that mr blair has a lot of blames on his shoulders regarding this whole mess in iraq and this war on terror.