Guantanamo Bay

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
The US Supreme Court has ruled the Guantanamo Bay tribunals illegal. Hmmmm, now even the court is turning against Bushski's illegal shinanigans in Guantanamo Bay. If any other country tried this, the Yanks would be the first to scream.

Champloo

Nominee Member
Jun 29, 2006
It's funny because no matter how much they try to correct the situation, there will always be some jackass trying to pull the "OMG AMERICA DID SOMETHING WRONG GUYS" card.

You sir, are that jackass.

Champloo:
Personal insults are not acceptable. Attack the opinion, not the person making it.
CC Staff

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Champloo said:
It's funny because no matter how much they try to correct the situation, there will always be some jackass trying to pull the "OMG AMERICA DID SOMETHING WRONG GUYS" card.

So I guess this is some kind of leftist scam to get rid of America? Keep dreaming, the Supreme Court ruled this base illegal, therefore its illegal and how America is holding these men is illegal.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
fuflans said:
Jersay said:
...the Supreme Court ruled this base illegal, therefore its illegal and how America is holding these men is illegal.

Are you sure that's what they ruled?

Yes the structure they are holding them in and the military tribunal structure is illegal and they deserve due process and other issues.

Champloo

Nominee Member
Jun 29, 2006
Jersay said:
Champloo said:

So I guess this is some kind of leftist scam to get rid of America? Keep dreaming, the Supreme Court ruled this base illegal, therefore its illegal and how America is holding these men is illegal.

No, my point was, the Supreme Court is holding the people responsible for the prison accountable. Jumping on the "Lol America did something wrong" bandwagon really serves no purpose, except to make people angry, now that the Supreme court is handling it.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Jersay said:
fuflans said:
Jersay said:
...the Supreme Court ruled this base illegal, therefore its illegal and how America is holding these men is illegal.

Are you sure that's what they ruled?

Yes the structure they are holding them in and the military tribunal structure is illegal and they deserve due process and other issues.

They ruled that the military tribunals are illegal, not that the base is itself illegal. The right to due process (I guess you mean the right to a trial) was 'ruled' upon earlier.

tostig

Jan 12, 2006
Toronto
Champloo said:

Or maybe the US Supreme Court. I wouldn't be surprised if Bush or someone in his defense declares the US Supreme Court irrelevant just like they did the UN.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Champloo said:

I don't know..... perhaps you are the jack ass.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
Champloo said:

I guess you are one of the a$$ kissing yankee lovers, eh?

The point is, the yankees are hypocrites. The yanks would be the first ones to squawk if it was Iraqis holding yankees. Even with your pee sized brain, you know that is what would happen.

Now even the yankee supreme court is condemning the whole thing. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Hotshot said:
I guess you are one of the a$$ kissing yankee lovers, eh?

And I suppose you're one of Canadian nationalists that require hating the US to affirm your own indentity, eh?

Hotshot said:
The point is, the yankees are hypocrites. The yanks would be the first ones to squawk if it was Iraqis holding yankees. Even with your pee sized brain, you know that is what would happen.

Yes we are, and we acknowledge that we are. The bigger problem is that you don't see your own, you require an "evil empire" to keep you occupied from your own distorted morality. *Hint*Cough*Hypocrisy*Cough*

Hotshot said:
Now even the yankee supreme court is condemning the whole thing. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Hmmm. The US Supreme Court condemned the whole thing. Hmmm, stop and think about that for a moment, if you can.

Champloo

Nominee Member
Jun 29, 2006
And I suppose you're one of Canadian nationalists that require hating the US to affirm your own indentity, eh?

One of the things I've been pondering lately. What makes a Canadian? The culture originated as a french/british hybrid. And in modern times, it seems to be on-loan from the states. Of course you need to add in the "I hate Americans" bandwagon that seems to trendy in Canada at the moment. (I can understand if you hate American politicians, but hating Americans as a people seems to be beyond idiotic)

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but what exactly makes a Canadian, a Canadian, except for being on the northern part of the 49th parallel?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I wouldn't be surprised if Bush or someone in his defense declares the US Supreme Court irrelevant just like they did the UN.

It wouldn't surprise me, either.

Contrary to Scalia's dissent, the court has an obligation to enforce the Constitution, Federal law, and International law. NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW! And whether he wants it or not, Bush is obligated to adhere to it.

When, and if, Bush complies with the law, he will have the opportunity to present evidence in a court of law that will justify the detention of those imprisoned in Gitmo. The problem has been that he has felt himself to be above the law and has failed to see that he is obligated to obey the rule of law like everyone else. After 4 years he still has not presented even a shred of evidence to confirm the detainees's guilt. Anyone who believes in the US Constitution should be outraged.

BTW, the conservative CATO Institute issued an amicus brief in support of the claimant in the case before the Supreme Court. Yes, even conservatives are outraged over Bush's criminal action.

Champloo

Nominee Member
Jun 29, 2006
Looking forward to 2008. Hopefully a change in office will end alot of the world's drama with America.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Champloo said:

Champloo:
Personal insults are not acceptable. Attack the opinion, not the person making it.
CC Staff

We could also say the same about those who find always something wrong with muslim.

Champloo

Nominee Member
Jun 29, 2006
We could also say the same about those who find always something wrong with muslim.

I would agree. I'm sure there are many peace loving muslims out there who are upstanding individuals. However, when I look at the koran, I see so many contradictions I don't see how the average muslim can keep his faith. In one passage, they call for maintaining peace with all non muslims, and treating them well. In another it says to convert them by force if necessary. Not to mention, Muhamed married a 7 year old, and consumated the marriage (sex) when she was nine, according to her own diaries. Making Muhamed a pedophile.

Many would argue that she may have entered puberty by that age, meaning that by definition he was not a pedophile. But in her diaries she says that at the age of 11, she was still playing with dolls. And arab customs of the time forbed women to play with dolls once they reached puberty.

To me, the religion seems like a joke. I have no problem with Muslims, I just feel bad for the good ones who seem to believe this garbage.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
I agree with the Court, that Base/Jail should be shut down, there are some serious crimes against humanity there. It Annoys me sometimes how the Pres, is basicly above all laws, and will never see a court date, for many of his alleged mistreatment of what I like to call Hostages in his Cuban prison. I have read alot of Interesting articals in Magazines about the place. I wouldnt want to go there thats for sure. And alot of the poeple there are being held without charges..or formul ones anyway....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am pleased that the Court found military tribunals to be outside of the law. Anyone who can READ and has seen the Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution should have known that.

So, release the detainees to the country of their origin.......a goodly number will be shot on arrival anyway........

Drop Khadr accidently from a high cliff.......I don't want the SOB in Canada......

Edited to say:

One of my pet peeves is that US Presidents never seem to have actually READ the Constitution they have sworn to "uphold and defend". Bush can't read the Fifth Amendment (at least!), Clinton couldn't read the Second (at least!)