Islamic Union taking control of Southern Somalia

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
MOGADISHU, Somalia - About 10,000 opponents of Somalia's transitional government and its proposal for foreign peacekeepers demonstrated Friday in the capital, which is controlled by an Islamic militia accused by the United States of harboring wanted al-Qaida members.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was the second public protest in as many days against the transitional parliament's Wednesday vote supporting the deployment of Ugandan and Sudanese peacekeepers to help the government establish stability and authority.

The proposal was limited to Uganda and Sudan to allay fears troops from traditional rival Ethiopia would be included. But many Somalis believe any foreign troop mission could be an opening for Ethiopia, seen as an ally of transitional President Abdullahi Yusuf.

"We can form a government on our own!" protesters chanted at the demonstration organized by supporters of the Islamic Courts Union, the group directing the militias.

"No Ethiopia! No Ethiopian government!"

All the Islamic leaders from the Abgal clan attended the rally in central Mogadishu, where protesters also chanted, "America, open your eyes and ears!" and held signs reading: "We don't want the transitional government."

About a third of the crowd was women, dressed in veils covering their faces and standing in a separate area from the men. Some women held up copies of the Quran, and one carried a placard reading: "Democracy go to hell."

Sheikh Abdukadir Ali Omar, deputy chairman of the union, said parliament's vote was unacceptable.

"Now the members of parliament have only two options: to reverse their decision or to join Somalia's enemy!" Omar shouted.

Sheikh Ali Dhere, an influential cleric, added: "We want to work (as a group) on the basis of Islam. We are against a secular constitution and foreign intervention."

But there appeared to be some division with the union. Some moderate leaders advocated negotiating with Yusuf's government, while others appeared ready to form their own government.

Yusuf's government is supported by Somalia's neighbors, the United Nations, the United States and the European Union, so opposing it could mean regional and international isolation and possibly crippling sanctions for any administration the Islamic forces try to build.

Late Thursday, residents said unidentified gunmen shot a militiaman loyal to President Abdullahi Yusuf and wounded another when they drove through a checkpoint in Baidoa, which is the only major town Yusuf's government controls in southern Somalia.

In the past two weeks, Islamists have been consolidating their hold on the region, chasing U.S.-backed secular warlords from their former strongholds.

It is unclear why the militiamen forced their way through the checkpoint. The dead militiaman was a member of a nascent police force that Yusuf has been trying to form, with limited success, because his government has little control outside Baidoa, 155 miles northwest of the capital, Mogadishu.

Residents in another southern town, Jowhar, said hundreds of Islamic militiamen drove out late Thursday in 35 pickups mounted with machine guns, but it was not known where they were going.

The Islamic militants, formally known as the Islamic Courts Union, captured Jowhar, 56 miles northeast of Mogadishu, on Wednesday. It was the last strategic town held by the warlords, and the Islamic fighters imposed an 8 p.m.-5 a.m. curfew, saying it would continue until they had stabilized the town.

The transitional government, whose military consists of little more than the president's personal militia, has watched from the sidelines as the Islamic forces overcame a coalition of secular warlords to take control of southern Somalia. The Islamic forces took Mogadishu June 6.

On Thursday, three more members of the warlord-led Alliance for the Restoration of Peace and Counterterrorism said they had resigned. One of them, Mohamed Qanyare Afrah, told HornAfrik that he and the Islamic militia shared a common enemy because both of them opposed proposals for peacekeepers in Somalia. He also apologized for any mistakes he may have made as a leader of the alliance.

Thursday's resignations brings to seven the number of people who have left the alliance, which now has only four members.

The Islamic group's control over southern Somalia is a feat unmatched since the fall of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991. The country has had no effective central government since then.

The Islamic group, accused by the United States of harboring al-Qaida, portrays itself as free of links to Somalia's past turmoil and capable of bringing order and unity. Yet the future of a country accustomed to moderate Islam would be uncertain under hard-line Islamic rulers.

Somalia's south has seen the worst violence in the country over the past 15 years. The northern and central regions have experienced only sporadic violence.

Northeastern Somalia is run by an autonomous government allied to the president, and central Somalia, where some warlords have fled, is controlled by several groups.

U.S. officials have acknowledged backing the warlords against the Islamic group. In response to the Islamic militia's growing power, the Unites States convened a meeting on Somalia in New York on Thursday.

The New York meeting concluded with the U.S.-organized group of nations lending its support to the country's weak interim government and demanding free access so aid groups can help Somalia's impoverished people.

The first meeting of the International Somalia Contact Group was one of the few major international initiatives toward the nation in the years since U.N. peacekeepers withdrew in 1995.

___
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060616...jLner.swcpvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I've heard a bit about this issue so far. It's not one of those black & white problems that many would like it to be. Somalia for the better word has been fucked up for quite awhile with all of the civil war and gov'ts that they've gone through. Even the current Gov't is having problems with controllin certain groups.

The muslem group trying to gain their foothold there have been claiming that they have nothing to do with AQ and want to cooperate with the US to a degree.

However only time will tell on how things unfold there since it's pretty current, and we only seem to be fed bits and pieces of choice info from the media...which in itself is unfortunate.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Islamic Union taking control of Southern Somalia

Jo Canadian said:
I've heard a bit about this issue so far. It's not one of those black & white problems that many would like it to be. Somalia for the better word has been *censored* up for quite awhile with all of the civil war and gov'ts that they've gone through. Even the current Gov't is having problems with controllin certain groups.

The muslem group trying to gain their foothold there have been claiming that they have nothing to do with AQ and want to cooperate with the US to a degree.

However only time will tell on how things unfold there since it's pretty current, and we only seem to be fed bits and pieces of choice info from the media...which in itself is unfortunate.

Agreed. How I am concerned because no group will support the independence of Somaliland which is the NE or NW part of the country. If these guys are not terrorists, and they just want a government to control Somalia which is sitting beside an independent Somaliland I think that should be good. And like you say its not just black and white, there are a lot of groups, gangs warlords and druglords (U.S backed), and all the powerful clans they have to deal with.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Yeah backing murdering Warlords and Druglords. Really efficent. Now you might be making more people join an Islamic group that may get the idea in its head, if its radicals are the voice to take Somalia by violence which will cause so much violence that has already occured in a country that has such a bloody history.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Let's not forget that gangs, warlords, and drug lords are also backed by others too. Every country's governments gotta have a skeleton or two in thier closet...and it's safe to assume that many Big countries have their own versions of pawns.

It's like the Cold War on Steroids.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
No Oxfam, Canada number 4 on that list which I think is sad. Why should bullets be escaping Canada and going into conflict zones killing countless innocent people. It should be directed for Canadian security personnel and other people that may do sports or hunting and that's it I don't see the point unless it is a military contract with another nation why so many bullets are leaving Canada.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Islamic Union taking control of Southern Somalia

Jo Canadian said:
Let's not forget that gangs, warlords, and drug lords are also backed by others too. Every country's governments gotta have a skeleton or two in thier closet...and it's safe to assume that many Big countries have their own versions of pawns.

It's like the Cold War on Steroids.

I am sure the Europeans are backing someone, and Ethiopia is supposedly supporting someone because they have a sizable Somali minority that had a rebellion like in the 70s to join Somalia I believe and to keep Somalia destabilized is benefital for Ethiopia.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think not said:
Jersay, as your post count increases so does my skepticism about your military endeavours. No offense.

No we need more people like Jersay in the military. It is the job of a NCO to carry out any LEGAL order but I believe people like Jersay have the moral background to say no to an illegal orders.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Finder said:
I think not said:
Jersay, as your post count increases so does my skepticism about your military endeavours. No offense.

No we need more people like Jersay in the military. It is the job of a NCO to carry out any LEGAL order but I believe people like Jersay have the moral background to say no to an illegal orders.

Thank you Finder.

If a order is legal and stuff like that, I would have no problem going to Ghan because it is right. However, if I know something is wrong I wouldn't sit around and do nothing about it because my conscience will not let me do something like that.