Riots hit Paris again.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Mayor targeted as youths fight police near Paris
2 hours, 51 minutes ago
al-Reuters
Tuesday May 30, 2006

Youths clashed with police in a Paris suburb overnight and attacked the home of the local mayor in disturbances one police union said were the worst since a wave of urban riots shook France in November.

French media said some 150 youths armed with baseball bats fought around 250 police for four hours in Montfermeil north of Paris after the arrest of a youth suspected of attacking a bus driver, an incident witnessed by the local mayor Xavier Lemoine.

Youths smashed windows, hurled two petrol bombs at the town hall and stoned the mayor's home, the media reports said.

Seven police officers were slightly hurt in the violence, in which six youths were detained, police said. Three remained in custody.

"Around 100 hooded youths stoned my home shouting 'the mayor is a son of a bitch'," Le Monde newspaper quoted Lemoine as saying. "The clashes took place 50 meters (yards) from my home."

Lemoine, a married reserve naval officer with seven children, said he had been targeted after coming to help a bus driver being assaulted by youths who then recognized him.

The arrest of a suspect in the attack late on Monday triggered the violence, he said.

The mayor, whose home and family have previously been set upon, courted controversy last month when he banned unsupervised under-aged youths from gathering in groups in the town center. The order was later overturned by an administrative court.

Michel Thooris, secretary general of the Action Police CFTC union, said the latest violence was the worst since November.

"Last night we saw the strongest after-shock of the earthquake of November 2005 that hit the suburbs. The situation in the suburbs remains explosive," he said in a statement, calling on Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy to put community officers back on the beat to reduce tensions.

Montfermeil borders Clichy-Sous-Bois (Clichy-Under-Wood, in English), where last year's riots began after two youngsters died while apparently fleeing police. In the three weeks of rioting that followed in poor suburbs around France, some 9,000 vehicles and dozens of public buildings and businesses were torched.

The government invoked emergency powers to quell what was the worst unrest in mainland France in nearly 40 years.

The opposition say the government has failed to alleviate the high unemployment and racial discrimination that provided the backdrop to November's disturbances.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060530/wl_nm/france_clashes_dc

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Damn, what are they going to do??

what do you propose blackleaf?

martial law?

patriot act french version in paris?

boycott french product?

what do you propose?

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Don't ask Blackleaf what is to be done... He's like the most conservative anti-French person here. He'd come up with sending them to the deat.... I mean happy camps. =-) To re-educate them on how good Anglo-Saxon society is and serve them Tea and biscuits, and force them to watch shows like Mr Bean and Benny Hill.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Finder said:
Don't ask Blackleaf what is to be done... He's like the most conservative anti-French person here. He'd come up with sending them to the deat.... I mean happy camps. =-) To re-educate them on how good Anglo-Saxon society is and serve them Tea and biscuits, and force them to watch shows like Mr Bean and Benny Hill.

I think about 90% of blackleaf's post are about french did this and did that, i know french have lot of problems these days, but i am trying to get what he wants to prove, or want to do with the frenchs.Eliminate them? i don t know, maybe he is frustrated because a french girl broke his hearth? or he maybe just hate them, just because it is fun and popular these days , my opinion only.

Oh Well i like mr bean, i think he is funny, not in movies though, quite different.

:wink:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
aeon, just a comment, you shoud change your quote. The Conservatives Mr Mills didn't like are more like our modern day Liberals and the Liberals/Whigs he supported and their beliefs are almost to the bone the conservatives of today. So even though your quote is somewhat funny, it is politically wrong to what Mills was getting down to.

Liberals/Whigs supported laisser fair capitalisms and libertarianism

Conservative/Tories, supported the traditional roll of government and the crown in peoples lifes. (ie big government) and frowned on the lose of imperalist economics such as mercantilism to the liberal/whig idea of free trade.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
I like Mr. Bean too.

But now that idea of a French girl breaking Blackleaf's heart!

Of course, so obvious and yet I didn't think of it.

I bet she was one of those tall chic dark haired beauties with a husky voice and juicy red lips softly lisping in an undertone of silky sensuality as she slowly leaned forward to caress Blackleaf's pasty face with her golden hand and manicured nails, her Christian Dior silken top open to the cleavage of unchastened breasts, her breath with a hint of buttery croissant and cho- co- late--her tongue, well, of course it was a French tongue, exquisitely curious and eager......

Poor Poor Blackleaf...........

Toro

Senate Member
Re: RE: Riots hit Paris again.

aeon said:

martial law?

boycott french product?

what do you propose?

Get the economy moving again by lowering the cost of labour by making it easier to hire and fire employees.

But the French protested violently against even minor reforms to labour laws, so that is unlikely to happen.

So expect more riots.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Lower labour wages so the capitalists can exploite the workers and make more money. Sounds like a Great idea... Well if you are a capitalist at least... and not so good if you are a worker. :(

Damn you French workers for not wanting to work dirt cheap. Come on make people like Toro and Blackleaf happy by lower your wages so you can't afford to buy anything you want, perhaps bring you down to the level of the Chiness worker, or perhaps Indonisian.. Come on you have to compete...

(sarcasm if you didn't pick it up)

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Finder said:
aeon, just a comment, you shoud change your quote. The Conservatives Mr Mills didn't like are more like our modern day Liberals and the Liberals/Whigs he supported and their beliefs are almost to the bone the conservatives of today. So even though your quote is somewhat funny, it is politically wrong to what Mills was getting down to.

Liberals/Whigs supported laisser fair capitalisms and libertarianism

Conservative/Tories, supported the traditional roll of government and the crown in peoples lifes. (ie big government) and frowned on the lose of imperalist economics such as mercantilism to the liberal/whig idea of free trade.

ok done.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Riots hit Paris again.

Toro said:
aeon said:

martial law?

boycott french product?

what do you propose?

Get the economy moving again by lowering the cost of labour by making it easier to hire and fire employees.

Lowering the cost of labour by making it easier to hire and fire employees, is quite stupid, good for coorporation, but not for the peoples, so i support all riots in france concerning those issue.

Politicien and coorporations should focus on corruption and ""abris fiscaux"" sorry , i dont know the word in english, getting rid of those problem will certainly help the economy, but poeples in power prefer to strawberry the citizen in their back to resolves economics problems, which is very bad.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Finder said:

now dont be mocking the good name of my fellow southamptonian Benny Hill.......Mr Bean go ahead :wink:

Toro

Senate Member
aeon, Finder

This is a graph applied to another subject, but fits perfectly here. Where it says "World Price", substitute "French cost so labour".

That labour cost is at the world price because of legislation which makes restricts labour markets, provides mandated benefits to labour and imposes payroll taxes on employers.

The difference between Q0 and Q1 is unemployment. Unless France changes, it will continuously be high, much higher than in the UK or the US.

If you want to get to x2, you must lower the cost of hiring people. Either that or shift either the demand curve - which the government, with nearly half of all spending in the GDP is no longer able to shift - or the supply curve, i.e. rid all the unemployed out of the country.

The space C is the deadweight cost to the economy.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Toro said:
aeon, Finder

This is a graph applied to another subject, but fits perfectly here. Where it says "World Price", substitute "French cost so labour".

That labour cost is at the world price because of legislation which makes restricts labour markets, provides mandated benefits to labour and imposes payroll taxes on employers.

The difference between Q0 and Q1 is unemployment. Unless France changes, it will continuously be high, much higher than in the UK or the US.

If you want to get to x2, you must lower the cost of hiring people. Either that or shift either the demand curve - which the government, with nearly half of all spending in the GDP is no longer able to shift - or the supply curve, i.e. rid all the unemployed out of the country.

The space C is the deadweight cost to the economy.

Well , all i can say, you have a pretty good point,well done, but this is only numbers,and made by who?

Toro

Senate Member
RE: Riots hit Paris again

aeon

Its not numbers. Its a graphical depiction of how markets work, including labour markets. There is nothing magical about this.

The only thing that is debatable is what the slope of the curves are, and how far up the French labour cost is above the equilibrium rate. And since unemployment in France is 9%, it is above.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Riots hit Paris again

Toro said:
aeon

Its not numbers. Its a graphical depiction of how markets work, including labour markets. There is nothing magical about this.

The only thing that is debatable is what the slope of the curves are, and how far up the French labour cost is above the equilibrium rate. And since unemployment in France is 9%, it is above.

Ok, now i get it, thankx for showing me this, it is helpful, but do you think resolving politicien corruption and ""abris fisxcaux"" from coorporations , will help the french economy?