Iran Azeris protest over cartoon

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5024550.stm

There have been demonstrations in several parts of north-west Iran, with thousands of ethnic Azeris protesting at a newspaper cartoon.
Azeris said the cartoon, which was published earlier this month, compared them to cockroaches.

Reports from the cities of Ardebil, Naqadeh and Meshkin Shahr say Iranian security forces fired on demonstrators, killing at least five people.

Dozens of others were injured and hundreds arrested.

The cartoon was published in a state-owned newspaper.

It showed a succession of people attempting to talk to a cockroach in Persian.

Each time, the insect responded by saying, in Azeri: "What do you mean?"

Azeris are the largest ethnic minority in Iran, and the cartoon caused outrage among those who believed it suggested that all Azeris were stupid.

Thousands of people took to the streets in protest and, shortly afterwards, the newspaper was shut down and its editor arrested.

But that did not quell the anger. In the latest protests on Saturday, government buildings were targeted, and a number of banks and television stations burnt down.

What is ironic is that the man who drew the original cartoon is also an ethnic Azeri. He too has been arrested.

I see we have resorted to our favorite pastime again...rioting and burning buildings down.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
That i agree is totally ridicoulus, damn when people will realize that religion is nuts, the world will become a way better place.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Something kinda bad happened and Muslims didn't riot and burn a few buildings down."

That would be news worthy.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Re: RE: Iran Azeris protest over cartoon

aeon said:
That i agree is totally ridicoulus, damn when people will realize that religion is nuts, the world will become a way better place.
Religion has nothing to do with it. They both are Muslims.
It's about the etnicity. Like some french, here, who don't like others.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well if it was it sure would be easy pickings for them.

Claudius

Electoral Member
May 23, 2006
RE: Iran Azeris protest o

Yeah ....had to be instigators...it's never their fault.

I'm not religious but one of the telling differences between hardcore Islam and Christianity/Catholicism/Judaism is that those religions see sin and temptation as something to be resisted and warned about. They resist and are required to ask forgiveness for their transgressions and in return forgive others.

Not so with Islam. With Islam temptation is to be destroyed, segregated or covered up. You made me mad with your sinful talk? You can't blame me then for the violence. You offend me? Then you can't blame me for the violence. You're a woman and didn't cover your body? You can't blame me for raping you then. It's your fault you 'tempted' me.

Only a matter of time before the hippies 'offend' them and tell them they can't smoke pot or sleep with anyone they didn't marry.... Then we'll see the 'pacifists' take up arms.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Iran Azeris protest o

Claudius said:
Yeah ....had to be instigators...it's never their fault.

I'm not religious but one of the telling differences between hardcore Islam and Christianity/Catholicism/Judaism is that those religions see sin and temptation as something to be resisted and warned about. They resist and are required to ask forgiveness for their transgressions and in return forgive others.

Not so with Islam. With Islam temptation is to be destroyed, segregated or covered up. You made me mad with your sinful talk? You can't blame me then for the violence. You offend me? Then you can't blame me for the violence. You're a woman and didn't cover your body? You can't blame me for raping you then. It's your fault you 'tempted' me.

Only a matter of time before the hippies 'offend' them and tell them they can't smoke pot or sleep with anyone they didn't marry.... Then we'll see the 'pacifists' take up arms.

Right on Claud... muslims are never responsible for their own actions. It is part of their culture to oppress, murder, riot therefore it is the fault of the instigator. :roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Because like I said... it is part of their culture to murder, oppress and riot.

It was a cartoon that they did not like... they are muslims... they rioted.

Muslims rioted over a cartoon.

Badabing.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
little information, which is very imporant to know.
1) Population of Azerbaijan 8,411,000 only 7,800,000 are Azaris.
2) Population of Iran 68,467,413 including 16-23.5 million Azaris.
3) Obviously there are more Azaris in Iran than in Azerbaijan.

As I mentioned above this is a provocation by Americans. Azaris and Iranians were living in strong relationship for long time.

In the past Iran was fighting in north with Russia and in south with
GB. Iranians, including Azaris, were fighiting aliens together.

After world war II, Soviets wanted to provoke Azaries to free from Iran and to annex East Azarbaijan, West Azarbaijan, Ardabil, Zanjan provinces inhabited mostly by Azaris to Soviet Union. Iran would lose its power. But Iranians, including Azaris, stayed united.

Now, it's American's turn to give a try. Because they were successful in Afghanistan and in Iraq. Look in qoutes below:

"They [The United States and the United Kingdom]" cooperated with Kurdish forces in the north which numbered upwards of 50,000 [in "Operation Iraqi Freedom]."

"Many members [of United Islamic Front for the Salvation of Afghanistan] are ethnic Tajiks (which may be a factor in Tajikistan and Iran's willingness to help the United States in the conflict), Uzbeks and Hazaras - ethnic minorities in Afghanistan."

"The UIF fought the Taliban for several years before defeating them in November 2001. Their victory was largely a result of a United States led bombing and special forces campaign in support of UIF ground troops."

"Their military leader was Ahmed Shah Massoud, who largely operated from Tajikistan and Panjshir, until his assassination on September 9, 2001."

Americans would have more causalities, or no victory at all in Iraq and Afghanistan if all the population of those two countries fought against them.

But Americans promised more autonomous to Kurds in Iraq and more power to Northern Alliance in Afghanistan. Still, Americans didn't want to give power completely to them. That's why in Afghanistan the most powerful leader against Taliban was assasined before the invasion of Americans in Afghanistan.

It's Kurds who loosened Iraq not Americans. It's Northeren Alliance who loosened Afghnistan not Americans. It's gonna be Azaris who will loosen Iran before the possible Americans invasion.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
It's Americans who are planting terrorism in muslim countries.

Under "libiration," "destruction of weapons of massive destruction" they are terrorizing more and more people.

They are separating longly united nations. They are separating brother. They are making kill neighboors.

Islam has nothing to do with it.

I give you an example. If you tell to a french, here in quebec, that all the posts are taken by english. You know what would be his or her reaction?

Try it. Try to provoke something and watch them. And tell to the world that they are terrorists.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

dekhqonbacha said:
I give you an example. If you tell to a french, here in quebec, that all the posts are taken by english. You know what would be his or her reaction?

They will riot and burn the place down?

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006

Jay said:
dekhqonbacha said:

They will riot and burn the place down?

It depends on the level of education.

Beginning in 1963, a terrorist group that became known as the Front de libération du Québec (FLQ) launched a decade of bombings, robberies and attacks on government offices, resulting in at least five deaths. In 1970, their activities culminated in events referred to as the October Crisis [2] when James Cross, the British trade commissioner to Canada, was kidnapped along with Pierre Laporte, a provincial minister and Vice-Premier, who was murdered a few days later. In their published Manifesto, the terrorists stated: "In the coming year Bourassa (Quebec Premier) will have to face reality; 100,000 revolutionary workers, armed and organized."

Claudius

Electoral Member
May 23, 2006
In their published Manifesto, the terrorists stated: "In the coming year Bourassa (Quebec Premier) will have to face reality; 100,000 revolutionary workers, armed and organized."

yeah.....'cept this is all in the "where are they now?" section of history...the "History that never was" section with regards to the 100000 of which they spoke...no more than a dribble of spit in the historical ocean of world wide terrorism, Islamic or otherwise ...but the M.E. rioting over the latest price of a fig is something that has been happening non-stop since and before 1966, when your example takes place....and ends.

...and it has everything to do with Islam in the sense that modern and ancient Islam are at odds with each other.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
give an exaple with proven facts.

Once I read that Americans were fighting arabic terrorist since long long time. And the auter says that because arabic pirats stole all the ship in the ocean, french and british government paid them to leave their boats safe. And americans refused to pay them and fought with pirats-terrorist...

How disgusting is what I read. How could one say that? and that article appeared in newspaper. It's completly nonsence.

What I'm trying to say, no need to find this kind of facts to prove your exapmle.