Afghan civies weary of both sides

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - After a month of rising violence that culminated in the death of at least 16 civilians in a coalition raid and air strike, many Afghans are weary of both Taliban and foreign troops and just want the fighting to stop.

"We do not like Taliban, but we don't like foreign troops because we're shot by both sides," said Abdul Baqi at Mirwais Hospital in Kandahar, where 15 wounded Afghans were brought Monday after a raid on a meeting of Taliban leaders erupted into a firefight in the middle of the village of Azizi.

"We thought Canadians were our friends," he said.

Canadians were not involved in Monday's action, but few Afghans make a distinction between troops of the various western countries in the U.S.-led coalition.

Afghans feel caught in the middle, said Atta Mohammad, who was wounded in the fighting.

"I'm not concerned with Taliban. I'm not concerned with foreign troops," he said. "Who is responsible for me, that I'm being shot?"

Although Taliban fighters have sustained their heaviest casualties by far this spring, Afghan civilians are suffering greatly as well.

Suicide bombings by the insurgents have been on a slow, steady increase. It's a type of attack that often inflicts more harm on innocent bystanders than military targets.

Coalition statistics released earlier this month detail the deadly toll.

Between January and the end of April, suicide bombings killed 14 coalition and Afghan security forces members and wounded 33 others. The cost to civilians was nearly three times higher - at least 34 Afghans were killed and 93 wounded.

For some Afghans interviewed on the streets of Kandahar, the depredations of the Taliban were worse than those of foreign soldiers.

"I really hate bombs, road mines and suicide attacks," said Haji Umer, a teacher.

"I appreciate the works foreign troops are doing for us, even our new generation will be thankful to the Canadians and Americans."

Abdul Matin, 37, a waiter, agreed.

"Mostly the innocent people are killed and I know that Allah will take revenge for them," he said. "Foreign troops are our brothers, we like whatever they did and are doing for us. Of course the Taliban are causing the disruption and trouble."

"Whoever is involved in these cases, they are not human beings," said Ali Jan, 45, a driver, who blamed Pakistan for supporting the Taliban and strengthening the insurgency. "The help and the support of foreign troops are really highly appreciated ... The Taliban and Pakistan are causing the problems."

"More than foreign troops, our Afghan brothers are killed," said Jamila, a 35-year-old housewife said of Taliban attacks. "That is very bad for all of us. Of course we appreciate (foreign) support."

Muheeb, a 29-year-old university student, said: "I wish we could hang those people in the main city who are involved in these activities. The work of foreign troops is really highly appreciated."

Coalition leaders hope the war-weariness works to their advantage. "Maybe the people will decide to be more co-operative with us," said spokesman Maj. Scott Lundy.

But others wished both the Taliban and the West would just go away.

"I am against these problem creators," said Shafiq Jan, 37, a businessman. "But also I don't want to be supported by any of the foreign troops. I can't appreciate what they do."

Aga Ajn, a 50-year-old cobbler, said Afghanistan can take care of itself.

"I am totally against roadside bombs and suicide attacks, but we don't need the help of anyone. We know to how to deal with life."

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w052351A.xml

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
149 members of parliament and all those who voted for them made it clear last week that Canada has no problem operating under aegis of Operation Enduring Freedom.

That blood IS on our hands.