UN Secretary General Proposals

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
UNITED NATIONS (CP) - Canada wants the next UN secretary general to serve only a single term of five or seven years, Canadian Ambassador Allan Rock said Thursday.

And Canada will press for significant changes to the method of selecting the UN chief, he told reporters.

"The post of secretary general is simply too important for the person to be chosen by the current process, a process that is opaque, ill defined, unpredictable and unsatisfactory," said Rock, Canada's ambassador to the United Nations.

The Canadian government is the only one formally pushing for changes to the selection procedure, but Rock said many governments have voiced support for Canada's initiative.

In a briefing to the United Nations Correspondents Association, Rock said "the selection of the secretary general should not be something that happens randomly or without a defined process."

Rock first floated Canada's list of ideas for changes in a document distributed to UN member countries in February. The General Assembly held a closed meeting in mid-April to discuss the proposals. Since then, Canada has added more items to the list.

Rock outlined five proposals:

-A single term of five or seven years for the secretary general, instead of two five-year terms at present. Canada believes the change will unburden the secretary general from having to act under the pressure of a second confirmation.

-A "job description" that defines what responsibilities the secretary general should perform.

-A committee to search the world for prospective candidates.

-Opportunities for member countries to meet potential candidates and pose questions to them.

-Ask candidates to identify ahead of time whom they will name as deputy secretary general.

Rock said a change to a single term and forums for candidates to introduce themselves to member states could be implemented during the current search for a successor to Kofi Annan, whose term expires at the end of the year.

The other proposals would likely have to be introduced later.

The UN Charter states that the secretary general is confirmed by the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Security Council. In reality, the five permanent members of the Security Council hold a virtual monopoly over the decision, since they can veto any of the candidates.

Thus far, the United States and Russia are reacting coolly to suggestions of radical changes to the status quo. U.S. Ambassador John Bolton has repeatedly told reporters the Security Council alone would discuss reform of the process.

Rock dismissed the notion that the consent of the major powers was required before moving forward.

"The General Assembly is the master of its own processes, and the General Assembly can make decisions, and ultimately makes the decision whether to appoint the candidate identified by the Security Council," Rock said.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w051893A.xml

I believe what we should do, is just scrap the five veto members of the Security Council we don't need more veto- wielding members, we can have permanent members but the veto members, who are the most politically motivated out of all U.N nations shouldn't have a veto vote. It should be decided by at least 9 members on what should happen from the Security Council, and that the reduction of the veto vote wouldn't have any nation of the permanents loose any sway.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
How and why?

The veto is the most stupidest thing that ever could have been done. If you have a resolution that is political one nation can vote against it if all other nations accept it. It is not fair. They deserve permanent seats but the politicalness of the Veto members, all five of them are pointless and too have more is even stupidier.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Life's not fair.

What interest is it for the US, France, the UK, Russia and China to give up their vetos?

There are many Americans who think the US should leave now. They certainly would if they didn't have a veto.

Well the veto members are the ones that are screwing up any reforms to the U.N, and then they want reform.

If you want to leave. Fine. You still have to pay all the fees that you owe just like any other member.

Toro

Senate Member
RE: UN Secretary General

Jersay

The only argument you have given is "its not fair." You still haven't given any reason why the veto members would give up their veto.

And what good would the UN be if the most powerful and most important nation isn't participating, let alone all five if they left too?

Oh, and how are you going to collect on the dues?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: U.N. Secretary General

[i said:
Toro[/i]]The only argument you have given is "its not fair." You still haven't given any reason why the veto members would give up their veto.
There isn't any reason that some nations, such as the United States of America, should give up their power to veto decisions of the United Nations — other than, of course, to make the U.N. better, and more effective, which is quite obviously not a priority for the United States at this time. I would contend that the United States' use of its veto power has been exercised rarely, if ever, in the best interests of the United Nations.

[i said:
Toro[/i]]And what good would the UN be if the most powerful and most important nation isn't participating, let alone all five if they left too?
I would assert that the suggestion that the United States is "[the] most important" member nation of the United Nations is, in my opinion, quite arrogant. To suggest that Canada is "more important" than the United States would be quite incorrect, as would the suggestion that the United States is "more important" than Canada; you can throw any other two nations into that sentence, and my opinion would be the same.

[i said:
Toro[/i]]Oh, and how are you going to collect on the dues?
I am unsure as to what this question is asking for.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think the Veto in the Security council is somewhat counter productive and a new solution should be found. The UN Security council is still stuck in the cold war mentality as well and somehow after 20 years we are stuck back into the voting problems of the cold war as well. The big different is however France is even worse this time around being the wild card often.

I think it's time for the United Nations to work and removing the Veto powers of China, USA, Russia, France and the UK is a good start. We all know the USA is the Super Power of the world and if they wish to act unilaterly from the UN, having a Veto vote has not stoped them in the past.

Anyhow I support the one term GS idea. I find it more democratic that way.

Toro

Senate Member
Re: U.N. Secretary General

FiveParadox said:
I would contend that the United States' use of its veto power has been exercised rarely, if ever, in the best interests of the United Nations.

Well, we don't know that though, do we, since we can't document every single veto and the circumstances under which the veto is exercised, so we don't know. (Though if there's one person tenacious enough here to find out, its you 5P.) Also, why would you expect the US to use its veto for the good of the United Nations? The veto was designed to be used for the good of the United States.

FiveParadox said:
I would assert that the suggestion that the United States is "[the] most important" member nation of the United Nations is, in my opinion, quite arrogant. To suggest that Canada is "more important" than the United States would be quite incorrect, as would the suggestion that the United States is "more important" than Canada; you can throw any other two nations into that sentence, and my opinion would be the same.

5P, I know its nice to think that all the nations of the world are equal, but of course, they are not. The actions of the United States are far more important than the actions of Tonga. That doesn't mean the people of Tonga aren't important as individuals. What it means is that in the grand design of geo-politics, the United States is more important than Tonga, and the most important nation in the world.

I once listened to a speech by the Canadian deputy minister of foreign affairs, Bill Graham. The topic of the US and its role in the world came up. He refered to what was happening in Yugoslavia. He said that the only country in the world that could put a stop to the slaughter in Yugoslavia at the time was the United States. Europe had neither the political will to get deeply involved, and, more importantly, the military capability to possibly stop the ethnic cleansing. Now those are the words of a Liberal cabinet minister, not mine.