Terrorists more of nuclear threat than Iran : IAEA

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - The world should be more worried about nuclear weapons falling into the hands of terrorists than about Iran's nuclear program, the head of the UN's nuclear watchdog agency said Friday.

Mohamed ElBaradei, director of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said there is no military solution to the standoff with Iran over its determination to continue its uranium enrichment program.

ElBaradei, who spoke Thursday with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, said he was "for the first time somewhat optimistic" that the Iran standoff can be resolved.

"I think everybody understands that we need to exhaust every possible route to find a diplomatic solution," he said.

But he said the risk that terrorists could acquire a nuclear weapon was of greater concern.

"Terrorists are a different thing," he told the Dutch television program Netwerk. "The fear of terrorists acquiring nuclear weapons is much more, in my view . . . than a country acquiring nuclear weapons right now," he said.

ElBaradei said the international community needed a collective security system that does not have an exclusive nuclear club, "a system where every country feels secure."

Otherwise, he said, "we are going to see proliferation of nuclear weapons."

Key UN Security Council members agreed this week to postpone a tough resolution against Iran, giving Tehran another two weeks to reassess its insistence on developing its uranium enrichment capabilities.

Britain, France and Germany were working up a new package of incentives and sanctions to present to Iran, in a move applauded by the IAEA chief.

The United States accuses Iran of seeking to develop nuclear weapons, but Tehran says it aims only to generate energy and charges that the West is guilty of "double standards."
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w051287A.xml

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Iran officially stated that the plant will produce enery, that's why everybody is worried about them. Because now we know that they have it. If a country build nuclear bomb secretly noone would know and everyone would be quite.

I think.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I think they are afraid about Iran like North Korea that claimed to do the nuclear stuff for energy but turned out to make a bomb. However, I think Iran is a totally different story to North Korea.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Terrorists more of nu

I know it's a cliche, but I think Iran wants to nuke Israel. Just my spin on the situation.

ChrisP

May 10, 2006
Iran will nuke Israel then Israel will nuke Iran then the US will nuke China then Russia will nuke the US then Iran will nuke southern Europe.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Terrorists more of nu

Leaving Canada free to rule the World. Oh shit, that reminds me, ever seen the movie Independence Day? You know that part where there's the bigass map of the World showing all the alien ships hovering over the major urban centres. Check it out, nothing over Canada. World gets turned to dust, Canada is squeaky clean. I love that part, I laugh....oh how I did laugh. I'm hungry.....