Who Pays Taxes In Canada ??

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/brucebartlett/2005/12/06/177875.html

Statistics Canada recently released a study looking at tax shares in that country. It shows that the share of federal income taxes paid by the top 10 percent of taxpayers reached 52.6 percent in 2002 -- almost exactly the same as is paid by the top 10 percent in the United Kingdom. However, the top income tax rate in Canada is just 29 percent. (Provincial tax rates in Canada are very substantially higher than among U.S. states.)

Review:

TOP 10 PERCENT pays 52.6 percent of income tax received
by the Canadian federal government

BOTTOM 90 PERCENT of society in Canada pay 47.4 percent
of all income tax received by the Canadian federal government.

At some point, those on the left must decide what really matters to them -- the appearance of soaking the rich by imposing high statutory tax rates that may cause actual tax payments by the wealthy to fall, or lower rates that may bring in more revenue that can pay for government programs to aid the poor? Sadly, the left nearly always votes for appearances over reality, favoring high rates that bring in little revenue even when lower rates would bring in more.

Edited to remove caps in thread title. Cosmo

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
RE: WHO PAYS TAXES IN CANADA ??

In 2005, the top 30 percent of families earned 60.3 percent of all income in Canada and paid 66.3 percent of all taxes.

The bottom 30 percent earned 7.8 percent of all income and paid 4.3 percent of all taxes.

In other words, high-income earners pay more in taxes than their relative share of income would predict.

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared/readmore.asp?sNav=nr&id=723

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
RE: Taxes in Canada

:!: Point of Order

Topic headers in Caps are, for lack of a better term, "ew."

:arrow: Taxes in Canada

Perhaps this "disproportionate" distribution of income retention, on the part of the Government of Canada, is in recognition of the fact that higher-income earners, by the very nature of having a higher-income, can "spare", so to speak, a larger amount of funds to the Government, compared to lower-income earners, where increasing taxes could cause those persons' income to decrease to amounts which would not be enough to meet the standards of living.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net

TAX FACT: Tax cuts cannot produce a significant improvement in the standard of living of low-income Canadians, for the simple reason that low-income people hardly pay any taxes. Even for middle-income earners, tax cuts won't make much difference.

Sixty percent of Canadians earn less than $25,000 in a year. This majority of Canadians hardly pays any income tax at all - barely 5 percent of their income. Even eliminating their taxes altogether won't make a measurable difference to their quality of life. But more cutbacks to social programs, which will inevitably result from tax cuts, will hurt them badly. Even middle-income Canadians only pay about 20 percent in income taxes, after deductions and exemptions. For them, tax cuts will only marginally enhance their disposable income, while putting important public services (like Medicare) at risk.

http://www.caw.ca/whatwedo/research/taxfacts/whopayswhat.asp

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: WHO PAYS TAXES IN CAN

jimmoyer said:
Sixty percent of Canadians earn less than $25,000 in a year.

Correction!

50% of all Canadians make $40,000 or less.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: WHO PAYS TAXES IN CAN

The article is from November 2000. Last time I checked, that was over 5 years ago. Wages have changed since then.

50% of Canadians make $40,000 or less. Hedy Fry said it in the House of Commons just a couple of weeks ago during the debate over the Speech from the Throne.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

But we all pay the same price for groceries. 20% tax on a $40,000 salary has a big effect on the ability to feed, clothe and shelter a family.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net

The point is how little the Leftwing realize how much
more the rich do pay.

And how shocked they are that tax cuts always
help those who pay the most in taxes.

Don't shed a tear. But usually the statistics
mentioned below blow their minds.

In 2005, the top 30 percent of families earned 60.3 percent of all income in Canada and paid 66.3 percent of all taxes.

The bottom 30 percent earned 7.8 percent of all income and paid 4.3 percent of all taxes.

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared/readmore.asp?sNav=nr&id=723

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

The numbers sort of make sense, to me; the group of people who earns about sixty percent of the income pays in the area of sixty-ish percent of the taxes, and same with the lower groups. I think that such a system is quite appropriate.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: WHO PAYS TAXES IN CANADA ??

jimmoyer said:
But usually the statistics
mentioned below blow their minds.

I highly doubt it. I'm sure that the left has a good idea of what the breakdown is. In fact, depending on just how left leaning they are, I'd say that they probably don't think that it is enough.

I wonder what makes you so angry as to make such blatant generalisations about such a large number of people.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

I don't think it comes to the surprise of many that low income earners pay less tax than high income earners.

Lets not kid ourselves on opportunities presented to the wealthy to substantially reduce their taxes. I think most would be surprised that a wealthy immigrant to Canada can have a 5 year tax exemption on his/her worldwide investment income by way of a foreign trust. Or a wealthy medical practioner could set up a family trust, distribute dividends to the trust then distribute income to individual family members at their individual tax rates.

Complex tax planning and comprehensive tax savings are easy to achieve for the rich. In fact, through them they can have members of their families get paid their income and become classified as low income earners who don't pay tax. Some would even appear in the low income statistics of this thread.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: WHO PAYS TAXES IN CANADA ??

My wife and I make only about 60k a year... Together!!! yeah we suck as income earners but we are lucky we have a very good savings. I'm all for the progressive income tax system and I believe the latest budget in a sence has created a corperate welfare state were now the corperations now get an easy ride.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net

50% of Canadians make $40,000 or less. Hedy Fry said it in the House of Commons just a couple of weeks ago during the debate over the Speech from the Throne.
----------------JonB2004-------------------------------------

From Statistics Canada website:

http://www.taxtips.ca/statistics.htm#TaxPie

5. Federal personal income tax breakdown.
Statistics Canada recently published a study titled Federal Personal Income Tax: Slicing the Pie, which examines the breakdown of federal personal income taxes paid by high and low income earners in Canada, from 1990 to 2002. Income earners were divided into 3 groups for the study:

10% of taxpayers with the highest incomes This group included taxpayers earning:
over $48,700 in 1990
over $64,500 in 2002

50% of taxpayers with the lowest incomes This group included taxpayers earning:

$19,000 or less in 1990
$23,000 or less in 2002

40%, or remaining taxpayers, with intermediate incomes This group included taxpayers earning:

$19,001 to $48,700 in 1990
$23,001 to $64,500 in 2002

The following tables summarize the results of the study.
a. Share of federal personal income tax paid by the 3 groups of taxpayers in Canada

Income group % of federal personalincome taxes paid
50% with lowest incomes..............6.7%..........4.4%
40% with intermediate incomes.....47.3%........43.0%
10% with highest incomes............46.0%........52.6%

Other tables show much lower compliance
by lower taxpayers

All information in this article adapted from Statistics Canada publication No. 11-621-MIE2005024, April 22, 2005.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: WHO PAYS TAXES IN CANADA ??

Considering the top 10% also happen to own over half the wealth I'd say that's just about right. Probably even with some room to manouver. Also what goes unmentioned is the high-end taxpayers recieve a higher proportion of benefit afforded citizens by the government.

cry me a river

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005

Every Canadian pays taxes daily, in the form of the GST and provincial PST's.
And every time we pay a bill....insurance,utility,water,telephone....GST and provincial PST's are added.
That MUST add up to a fair chunk of income for the federal government.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Canadian system of taxation

has evolved over years. It would be foolish to expect Canadian taxes to be the same as what Americans, or Brits pay. Canada is a large country with a large infrastructure and a relatively small population. Our taxes are what one would expect in a country like Canada. The percentage of taxes paid by the various economic sectors of the population will change slightly with a change in government but will generally creep back to the levels we have today.