Massive Oil Field Discovered

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Scientists from Cornell University have discovered a massive amount of Oil off the coast of Louisiana.The find is some 60 billion barrels or 3 Times more than current US recoverable Oil of 20 Billion barrels, and would bring US total reserves to 80 billion barrels which is on par with Venezuela. In comparison to other finds around the world, this is twice the size of all Oil ever found in the North Sea and 6 times larger than the estimates of the Alaskan ANWR oil deposits.

....The area is about 10,000 sq. miles in size, and was found under layers of salt domes by a new method of oil discovery known as “gas washing” . A process in which geologist are able to track the movement of oil deposits by the way they interact with the flow of natural gas. This method helps scientists to make extremely accurate 3D-seismic maps of deep underground oil deposits and mitigate the risk involved in drilling such deep under sea wells.

....The information was gathered from source rocks deep below the sea and was discovered by a team lead by Larry Cathles, a chemical geologist from Cornell and funded by a grant from Chevron. Efforts are now underway to rush more equipment into the area and conduct more tests, but because of the devastation left by the hurricanes Katrina and Rita there is a critical shortage of equipment and manpower to do the kind of recovery work needed to bring the oil to the surface.

.... Estimates now range from 1 to 2 years before oil can be pumped from the find area

“This is enough Oil to make the US self sufficient and make
foreign Oil supply disruption a thing of the past”

http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/oildiscovery.html

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Massive Oil Field Dis

Awesome! Now that the price of everything is going to drop, its time to spend, spend, spend!

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
This is good news, add Alberta's Oil Sands and North America is doing very well. Have to wonder if the Environmentalists will try to stop the possible recovery of the Oil..

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Massive Oil Field Discovered

cortezzz said:
great -- the US can now withdraw from iraq!

Nah, they want it all, and those who are against it, is unacceptable, according to the PNAC.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Have you guys clicked through to the homepage of that site? I guess they feel if anyone will buy that as news they will buy anything.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Kreskin stop raining on the parade, the American nation is saved, how can you doubt the sincerity of those people. hahahahaha virtually free gas for everyone

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

The Hydrogen-Carbon system does not spontaneously evolve hydrocarbons at pressures less than 30 Kbar, even in the most favorable environment. The H-C system evolves hydrocarbons under pressures found in the mantle of the Earth and at temperatures consistent with that environment.

ITN I heard about this last summer on a radio science show, the guy giving the lecture had even done the experiments in the lab with high pressure and made minute ammounts of oil. It was on Quirks and Quarks a CBC science show.

Wouldn't it be strange to destroy the world over oil when we didn't have to, and what would a perpetual permenant source of oil do to the system?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
I also read a news report today that they are really pushing for oil development in Alaska. The theory is that as gas gets more and more expensive, the opposition to this will get less and less.

The Canadian government is opposed to this development, supposedly.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I'm hoping by the time I kick the bucket, new clean technology will be well on its way for future generations. I'll be happy to know things will change. That will leave me enough time to spook the fringe left from beyond the grave. I have it all planned out. :D

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005

Even if they did find oil there, how fast can they get it out of the ground? We have 1.5 trillion barrels of oil here but are production is limited by many factors, and flat out production after the final expansions will be around 10million barrels per day. It's also very expensive to drill for oil at the bottom of the ocean and pumps slowly due to the extreme depths. I'd say that this is no saving grace.