Trial Process for Khadr Offensive: Defense

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The process being used to try Omar Khadr, a Canadian citizen suspected of acts of terrorism against the United States of America, is 'offensive', in the opinion of Lieutenant-Colonel Colby Vokey, Mr. Khadr's defense lawyer. Mr. Khadr is one of approximately ten persons being detained in the detention centre at Guantanamo Bay, out of five hundred, who has ever received a formal charge against them — the other four hundred ninety-some suspects have never been charged, but are nonetheless being detained indefinitely.

The Web site for [i said:
The Globe and Mail[/i]]The U.S. military base in Guantanamo Bay has been a highly controversial part of the U.S. war on terrorism since 2001, when soldiers started using it to jail captives from Afghanistan. The Pentagon decided it would deem the prisoners "enemy combatants," and insisted they were terrorists undeserving of protections typically afforded by Geneva Conventions.

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cet article n'est pas disponible en français à ce temps.
Lt.-Col. Vokey has indicated that he has only been able to visit Mr. Khadr for approximately eight hours, since he started represented him sometime in February. Lt.-Col. Vokey is attempting to have Mr. Khadr's Canadian counsel be authorized to attend proceedings; however, there is no guarantee that any such request would be granted.

The Web site for [i said:
The Globe and Mail[/i]]Col. Vokey says he takes flak from military peers for his most outspoken views concerning Guantanamo Bay, but "my duty, first and foremost, is to defend the Constitution of the United States . . . that's above any allegiance to any officials."

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cet article n'est pas disponible en français à ce temps.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of The Globe and Mail.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
JonB2004, I hope that not everybody thinks as you do — in exemplia, that suspicion is the same thing as conviction. Mr. Khadr should be given the chance to defend himself from these charges.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
He is not getting the death penalty, nor is any of the ten others charged.

The thing is with the death penalty issue, with such a crappy tribunal process so far, with no organization that I can see, I don't think any nation would like to see its people killed when questions can be raised about the fairness and accuracy of this tribunal.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Trial Process for Kha

Yes, I do believe that Khadr should get the right to defend himself. But if he is convicted, I want him to get sentenced to death penalty. He killed a U.S. soldier and attempted to kill another U.S. soldier.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
When you are in war, and Afghanistan was and still is a war. You don't charge someone with murder if he kills someone in combat. That would never stand up in a court of law.

You have two combatants, you due battle.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Trial Process for Kha

He should have the right to defend himself, FiveParadox. But the soldiers that shot him should not get charged. Khadr deserved to get shot. He threw a grenade which killed a U.S. soldier and nearly killed another. And the injured U.S. soldier saved Khadr's life. Khadr is an ungrateful murdering bastard.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
JonB2004, I would remind you that Mr. Khadr has not been convicted of any crime — to decide now that he is a "murderer", and to deprive him of the right to be considered in a non-biased basis, as you have contended (with due respect, of course) is to undermine the process of justice.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jersay said:
When you are in war, and Afghanistan was and still is a war. You don't charge someone with murder if he kills someone in combat. That would never stand up in a court of law.

You have two combatants, you due battle.

We discussed this.

These people are not legitimate combatants.

At the same time, the US Constitution specifically bans trying ANYBODY by military court unless they were serving in the US military at the time of the offense.

Look it up George W., its in the Fifth Amendment.

Damn, I wish these guys that swear to "uphold and defend" the constitution would take the time to actually READ it.

Now, Khadr should be shipped to Kabul, tried by the Afghans (or not) and shot.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Under Geneva conventions they are not considered legal combatants. Agreed.

However, when you go into combat, which America did. No matter, who was fighting them, it is war. No matter the definition of the combatant.

Now if he killed a bunch of civilians, he should be convicted.