darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
F.D.A. Dismisses Medical Benefit From Marijuana

Article Tools Sponsored By
By GARDINER HARRIS
Published: April 21, 2006

WASHINGTON, April 20 — The Food and Drug Administration said Thursday that "no sound scientific studies" supported the medical use of marijuana, contradicting a 1999 review by a panel of highly regarded scientists.
Skip to next paragraph
Multimedia
Video: Medical Marijuana Issue
Video: Medical Marijuana Issue

The announcement inserts the health agency into yet another fierce political fight.

Susan Bro, an agency spokeswoman, said Thursday's statement resulted from a past combined review by federal drug enforcement, regulatory and research agencies that concluded "smoked marijuana has no currently accepted or proven medical use in the United States and is not an approved medical treatment."

Ms. Bro said the agency issued the statement in response to numerous inquiries from Capitol Hill but would probably do nothing to enforce it.

"Any enforcement based on this finding would need to be by D.E.A. since this falls outside of F.D.A.'s regulatory authority," she said.

Eleven states have legalized medicinal use of marijuana, but the Drug Enforcement Administration and the director of national drug control policy, John P. Walters, have opposed those laws.

A Supreme Court decision last year allowed the federal government to arrest anyone using marijuana, even for medical purposes and even in states that have legalized its use.

Congressional opponents and supporters of medical marijuana use have each tried to enlist the F.D.A. to support their views. Representative Mark Souder, Republican of Indiana and a fierce opponent of medical marijuana initiatives, proposed legislation two years ago that would have required the food and drug agency to issue an opinion on the medicinal properties of marijuana.

Mr. Souder believes that efforts to legalize medicinal uses of marijuana are a front for efforts to legalize all uses of it, said Martin Green, a spokesman for Mr. Souder.

Tom Riley, a spokesman for Mr. Walters, hailed the food and drug agency's statement, saying it would put to rest what he called "the bizarre public discussion" that has led to some legalization of medical marijuana.

The Food and Drug Administration statement directly contradicts a 1999 review by the Institute of Medicine, a part of the National Academy of Sciences, the nation's most prestigious scientific advisory agency. That review found marijuana to be "moderately well suited for particular conditions, such as chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting and AIDS wasting."

Dr. John Benson, co-chairman of the Institute of Medicine committee that examined the research into marijuana's effects, said in an interview that the statement on Thursday and the combined review by other agencies were wrong.

The federal government "loves to ignore our report," said Dr. Benson, a professor of internal medicine at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. "They would rather it never happened."

Some scientists and legislators said the agency's statement about marijuana demonstrated that politics had trumped science.

"Unfortunately, this is yet another example of the F.D.A. making pronouncements that seem to be driven more by ideology than by science," said Dr. Jerry Avorn, a medical professor at Harvard Medical School.

Representative Maurice D. Hinchey, a New York Democrat who has sponsored legislation to allow medicinal uses of marijuana, said the statement reflected the influence of the Drug Enforcement Administration, which he said had long pressured the F.D.A. to help in its fight against marijuana.

A spokeswoman for the Drug Enforcement Administration referred questions to Mr. Walters's office.

The Food and Drug Administration's statement said state initiatives that legalize marijuana use were "inconsistent with efforts to ensure that medications undergo the rigorous scientific scrutiny of the F.D.A. approval process."

But scientists who study the medical use of marijuana said in interviews that the federal government had actively discouraged research. Lyle E. Craker, a professor in the division of plant and soil sciences at the University of Massachusetts, said he submitted an application to the D.E.A. in 2001 to grow a small patch of marijuana to be used for research because government-approved marijuana, grown in Mississippi, was of poor quality.

In 2004, the drug enforcement agency turned Dr. Craker down. He appealed and is awaiting a judge's ruling. "The reason there's no good evidence is that they don't want an honest trial," Dr. Craker said.

Dr. Donald Abrams, a professor of clinical medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, said he had studied marijuana's medicinal effects for years but had been frustrated because the National Institutes of Health, the leading government medical research agency, had refused to finance such work.

With financing from the State of California, Dr. Abrams undertook what he said was a rigorous, placebo-controlled trial of marijuana smoking in H.I.V. patients who suffered from nerve pain. Smoking marijuana proved effective in ameliorating pain, Dr. Abrams said, but he said he was having trouble getting the study published.

"One wonders how anyone" could fulfill the Food and Drug Administration request for well-controlled trials to prove marijuana's benefits, he said.

Marinol, a synthetic version of a marijuana component, is approved to treat anorexia associated with AIDS and the nausea and vomiting associated with cancer drug therapy.

GW Pharmaceutical, a British company, has received F.D.A. approval to test a sprayed extract of marijuana in humans. Called Sativex, the drug is made from marijuana and is approved for sale in Canada. Opponents of efforts to legalize marijuana for medicinal uses suggest that marijuana is a so-called gateway drug that often leads users to try more dangerous drugs and to addiction.

But the Institute of Medicine report concluded there was no evidence that marijuana acted as a gateway to harder drugs. And it said there was no evidence that medical use of marijuana would increase its use among the general population.

Dr. Daniele Piomelli, a professor of pharmacology at the University of California, Irvine, said he had "never met a scientist who would say that marijuana is either dangerous or useless."

Studies clearly show that marijuana has some benefits for some patients, Dr. Piomelli said.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Many benefits to the use of medical marijuana - even recreational .....

But...I want a long term study to see where the "use" ends up.... Does it remain static for pleasure and pain remediation only... or does it lead to more intense drug use?

Even chocolate is addictive....yum....and we humans love our addictions.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RE: F.D.A. Dismisses Medi

Well WC I have been using it for as long as thirty years and I'v never moved to hard drugs or petty theft to support any habit, the long term studys have been blocked for at least three decades because of the very real threat to big pharmasuetical corporations. The gateway theroy is horseshit. The medical effects of grass are very real, for me thier is no better or safer treatment for my arthritis, as a pain killer and an antinflamitory, both of those have been proven clinically. The FDA has published many articles debunking medical use while at the same time not allowing testing. So where do thay get thier info.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Missile/Beav

OK that's two testimonials..... glad it's working for you both....and hasn't led to more potent chemistry.

The brain is a weird thing - some people can get high from walking ....they are the lucky ones I guess. Maybe you can OD on walking don't know....

I say whatever helps....and stays that way... is beneficial.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Cannabis and cannabinoid drugs (e.g. Marinol, Cesamet, etc.) are used to successfully treat a wide range of disorders and symptoms. Clinical evidence for specific disease conditions ranges from anecdotal reports to peer reviewed randomized controlled double blind trials. A non-exhaustive selection of the disease conditions for which cannabis and cannabinoids may be useful in symptomatic management and/or for improving the quality include:

* Cancer Chemotherapy Management
* Epilepsy
* Glaucoma
* HIV/AIDS Symptomatic Management
* Migraine
* Multiple Sclerosis
* Pain
* Severe Arthritis
* Spinal Cord Injury and Disease

It's not about getting high, I require a very small dose to control the arthritis, for me it's a buzzless ammount.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Missile (oops spelled your name incorrectly - sorry)

My nephew is prescribed marijuana for his Iraq injuries (involving much of his spinal column assaults and neuromuscular pain....from the VA in San Francisco.

It helps and as I understand it, when there is pain involved there is lesser chance it becomes addictive. If the pain is relieved, then it is doing what it is supposed to.

However if the pain no longer becomes a problem, and the discomfort from whatever the disease or injury is..... the use of it should cease in order to ascertain no addiction has occurred.

Rarely does addiction occur in pain management....

Don't ask me why..... that's what docs say.....

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Beav

Have you a copyright on "buzzless amount"????

I would love to use that on my nephew - he'd get a smile out of it!!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Well if you're not staggering and drooling and you can still operate the stereo, you're not buzzed. I quess inebreated would be a more accurate word.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
missile said:
As doctors here can legally prescribe it for patients,who gives a .... what they say about it?

The US has got a hate on for grass, this has affected the research and legislation in Canada in a negative way. The legal use of grass for medical purposes is not an easy matter, you are still subject to search and siezure, and the medicinal stuff produced and distributed by the Gov; is crap, it was tested in an indepentant lab and found to be laced with chemical fertilizers and full of stem and leaf it was considered unwise to smoke it.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Beav

The stuff my nephew is given is a powder - not in green grass form at all....pale brown and he inhales it with an atomizer... doesn't smoke it at all.... don't know what else they have put into it...
he thinks it's just straight marijuana because he's "familiar" with it....

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Please... I think I'll believe the scientists over the FDA. Morons. The War on Some Drugs is so ridiculous. As for the gateway theory, simple progression doesn't imply causation. Jeez, most times coffee or cigarettes is the first drug used by all hardcore addicts - are these the real gateway drugs? Maybe we should start a new drug war on these?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Medicine/health and politics are not a good mix. We saw the same thing with the morning after pill. I really don't care if a cancer patient smokes some pot. Marijuana has not caused anywhere near the problems many legal substances have.

(and no, I've never smoked it)

Mad_Hatter

Nominee Member
Oct 14, 2005
Shakedown Street
www.myspace.com
The gateway theroy is horseshit.

Amen, brotha.

Honestly, from my personal experience (admittedly far from a scientific study) alcohol is far more harmful a substance than weed.

I live in a student housing unit and alot of these kids get drunk pretty much every other day. As someone who rarely gets drunk I find their behaviour absolutely unbelievable. Responsible drinkers I take no issue with; but every week here something in the building vandalized (which we all need to pay for) or there is puke in the hall/elevator. Absolutely disgusting, and all from drunken university idiots.

Now I'm not gunna lie, my pals and I enjoy smoking a little ganja now and again. When I get high, I chill out, chat with my "possee" and listen to Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. Totally low key, totally non offensive.

I've known tons of kids who are boozers, and who are stoners. In all my experience, alcohol is definitely a more harmful substance. I think there needs to be more continuity in Canada about weed/alcohol laws. Either tighten up drinking laws, or go lax on the pot laws. (Of course, I would prefer the latter...)

thintom

Sep 10, 2005
Pouce Coupe, BC
In my juvenile experiments with drugs, I smoked dreid banana peels and ate a bottle of nutmeg long before I tried pot. Maybe the FDA should ban nutmeg and bananas. I also remember a group of grade 8 girls dropping half a dozen crushed aspirins in a can of coke. Ban aspirin and Coke too. I've also known folks who were against pot their whole drunken lives and ended up being addicted to cocaine, destroying thier lives and those of their families. I've been smoking weed for twenty-five years, and am not inclined whatsoever to do cocaine or heroin or crystal-meth. I don't even take tylenol-3 when prescribed by a doctor.
I like this:http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/
And oh yeah, I did an IQ test last year that showed my score up 8 points from when I was twenty. Another fifteen years of BC-Bud and I'll be a friggin genius.