20,000 sing Happy Birthday to the Queen as she turns 80.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
At least 20,000 people lined the streets of Windsor to wish the Queen a happy 80th birthday.

A triumphant burst of Happy Birthday greeted the Queen as she walked out of Windsor Castle.

Cheers erupted from the crowd of 20,000 as the Queen moved down Castle Hill, starting off her landmark birthday with a traditional royal walkabout.

Thousands lined the streets waving flags and clutching flowers for the monarch.

The gates of the castle swung open at midday as the Queen emerged wearing a fuchsia coat and feathered hat accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh dressed in a beige overcoat.

She was greeted by the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire, Philip Wroughton and Mrs Catriona Wroughton before being introduced to representatives of youth organisations.

As the Queen chatted with members of St John Ambulance, the Duke spoke briefly to schoolchildren.

After chatting to representatives of each group in turn, a beaming Queen walked along the lines of schoolchildren receiving birthday cards and a posy of hyacinths.

The Queen then made her way to greet the waiting public amassed behind crowd barriers.

Criss-crossing from one side of the road to the other and back again, she sported a continual smile as she collected bouquet after bouquet and scores of cards.

During the 40-minute stroll she worked the crowds as they erupted into renditions of Happy Birthday.

One of the bystanders, Paul Ratcliffe, from Leeds, Yorkshire, asked: "What's the secret to your amazing stamina?''

The Queen laughed and said: "I don't know.''

Mr Ratcliffe, 34, gave her a card with a huge 80 badge on it, but added: "I said I didn't expect her to wear it tonight, it was just a bit of fun.''

The Queen collected a host of presents including jigsaw puzzles, All-Gold chocolates and even a small china corgi.

Harminder Bans, 41, from Windsor, gave her a Union Jack baseball cap which the Queen promptly waved towards the Duke of Edinburgh, seeming to suggest it would be one he could wear.

A burgundy Bentley waited for the birthday Queen just past the Guildhall where the Prince of Wales married the Duchess of Cornwall last year.

But the Queen went on past, continuing her walkabout down to the very end of the High Street to the delight of those waiting to see her.

A specially dedicated team of 20 young members of the Army, Navy and RAF took charge of the flowers and gifts.

As the Queen collected them, she swiftly passed them back to her lady-in-waiting, who handed them on.

There were shouts of "Hip hip hurray'' and "Three cheers for the Queen'' as she walked round the route.

Youngsters from St Edward's School in Windsor chanted "Two four six eight, who do we appreciate?'' before shouting "The Queen''.

At one stage, Prince Philip, wearing a khaki mac, spotted a huge birthday cake and called his wife over to see it.

He took the knife and the Queen cut the cake, which was big enough to make 300 portions.

Reverent Mary Barnes, the vicar at St John the Baptist Church on the High Street, said afterwards: "She just asked who made it. Prince Philip gave her the knife and said 'You can cut it'. She seemed pleased.''

It was decorated with a gold crown and exactly 80 lit candles.

Queen Elizabeth II carries flowers and a card given to her outside Windsor Castle on her 80th birthday at the start of a walkabout through the town.
© PA

--------

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh outside Windsor Castle shortly after leaving the castle.
© PA
-------

Thousands had gathered outside Windsor Castle in the hope of meeting the Queen - and many were not disappointed.
© Reuters
--------

Smiling with delight, the Queen clutches one of the many gifts presented to her by the waiting crowds.
© PA
------

Crowds of people bearing flowers and cards wait for a glimpse of the Queen.
© Pic: Jenny Goodall
--------

The Queen pauses before greeting more well-wishers.
© PA
--------

Initial police estimates put the crowds at between 1,500 and 2,000 by 11am.
© PA
--------

The Queen talks to representatives of some of the country's best known youth organisations outside Windsor Castle as she continues her walkabout.
© PA
-----------

She smiles as she receives more bouquets from the flag-waving crowds.
© PA
------------

Wellwishers waved balloons as the monarch walked by.
© PA
------------

Prince Philip accompanied the Queen as she greeted members of the crowds.
© Reuters
------------

The Queen examines a toy bear she was given by a member of the public.
© Reuters

http://channels.aolsvc.co.uk/news/a...75709990001&n=rotator&p=Gold&c=welcome_screen
dailymail.co.uk

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Today's Provincial Paper did a two page photo spread spanning her Reign, it was a walk down memory lane. I enjoyed it.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005

God save our Queen

National Post
Published: Friday, April 21, 2006

Today, Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her eightieth birthday. Since she ascended the Throne as Canada's Head of State at the age of 25, the Queen's sense of duty and constancy has been a special gift to this country. Her reign has seen tumultuous change; in some respects, the Canada of today little resembles the Canada at the start of her reign, in 1952. Yet through all those intervening years -- through 11 Canadian prime ministers and 10 governors-general -- she has served Canadians with dignity and distinction.

In 1951, Princess Elizabeth declared, "We belong to Canada," and 55 years later that remains true. As her representative, Governor-General Michaelle Jean, said in a congratulatory message yesterday, "The connection between Her Majesty and Canadians is an enduring and deeply rooted one. The Queen's devotion to Canada extends beyond her commitment as our Sovereign; it is personal and heartfelt."

Through her devotion to duty, the Queen has also invested with relevance the ancient institution of monarchy, which can be traced back in Canada more than 500 years. All the old virtues which the institution represents -- stability, loyalty, service, faith and family -- are at least as important today as they have ever been, and each is indivisible from the Queen's example.

As the Queen becomes an octogenarian, some might see her age as a liability, but just the opposite is true. Typical of many of her generation, the Queen is making important contributions well beyond what was once presumed to be retirement age. Not only is abdication out of the question, but the Queen has also not retreated to one of her estates to be waited upon by footmen, leaving the real work of the monarchy to others. As a young woman, she declared, "My whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service," and she continues to fulfill that promise every day, travelling the world -- plans are underway for a royal visit to Uganda -- greeting endless rows of minor dignitaries and stroke patients -- more than 400 engagements a year -- all with her characteristic warmth, humour and interest.

Canadians, even those who would like to see Canada's ties to the monarchy end with her reign, regard her with respect and genuine fondness. It is true that some part of this is merely familiarity -- she came to the Throne before many of us were born and it is hard to fathom the country without her -- but it is also true that her personal characteristics account for much of this abiding affection.

It is not only personal, however. Many people also recognize that the institution she embodies works here. Alone among the Queen's overseas realms, Canada has been a leader in refashioning the institution, inventing the notion of a Canadian Crown that is separate from her other roles. This began with the appointment of the first Canadian governor-general in 1952, and the change of the Sovereign's title to "Queen of Canada" in 1953. Since then, the Queen has given her authority to the development of a Canadian honours system and the establishment of the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

The Crown is inextricably part of the Canadian identity, serving to uphold Canadian traditions and heritage, and to recognize Canadian excellence and achievement. It is hard to imagine anyone more acutely aware of these responsibilities than Queen Elizabeth II.

God Save the Queen. Long may she reign over us.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/....html?id=639ed2b9-b472-4096-9ede-ae821543de19

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The Crown is inextricably part of the Canadian identity, serving to uphold Canadian traditions and heritage, and to recognize Canadian excellence and achievement. It is hard to imagine anyone more acutely aware of these responsibilities than Queen Elizabeth II.

Hmmm, does this include Defending the Faith in Canada?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Nice post Blackleaf.....

Elizabeth II has a fantastic smile and she is such a beauty for her age.....

I've seen old movies of her and Anne when they were little girls and she was always so serious....

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
I think not said:

Hmmm, does this include Defending the Faith in Canada?

the queen-monarchy- is most definitely not part of the canadian identity---
at least not a legitmate part
its a minority that recognise her
most ignore her
many are quite
antimonarchist

the well known antics of such a depraved family--- the so called royal family--- are
amusing

the VAST majority of people in canada
RIDICULE the monarchy

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Cortez wrote: the VAST majority of people in canada
RIDICULE the monarchy

Cortez, thankfully you don't speak for the Rest Of Canada. There are those of us who are proud of our Heritage, and don't like the insults.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
canada speaks for itself
the GTA could care less
and --its we who are insulted--
british subjects
indeed

let the british monarchy pledge allegiance to me--- their natural superior

the converse makes no sense

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
cortezzz, I wouldn't agree with that assessment.

I would suggest that a majority of Canadians are either in favour of keeping the monarchy integrated with Canada in some respect or another. As for the current state of affairs, I would remind you that we are not subjects of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; we are subjects of Canada, and Her Majesty the Queen of Canada.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
Re: RE: 20,000 sing Happy Birthday to the Queen as she turns

FiveParadox said:
cortezzz, I wouldn't agree with that assessment.

I would suggest that a majority of Canadians are either in favour of keeping the monarchy integrated with Canada in some respect or another. As for the current state of affairs, I would remind you that we are not subjects of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; we are subjects of Canada, and Her Majesty the Queen of Canada.

you are entitled to disagree
in my local environment--

there is a somewhat low concentration of people of anglosaxon descent
--- there is very little support
thats here in ontario
in quebec-- its even less- despite the new governor general

polls--well you get quite a variation-- i do recall one a few years ago that indicated approximately 60% of canadians would prefer not to have a monarchy

that canada is not a republic--- is one of its major flaws

again- i am observing.....
when most people bring up the monarchy here
-- its to mock them--
its usually about how they are messing up
ie going to parties dressed as nazis
talking about horrible anuses
mocking their desire to be tampons
mocking their vanity
mocking their infidelity
mocking their ignorance--ie charles
or even mocking their manners...
some of the better read members will give you a few details
of the depravity of previous monarchs-- ie henry the 8th
or that some were nazis sympathizers
or remind you on how the crown jewels-- represent--LOOT!

thats not a sign of respect
they are thought of as clowns--at best

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Sorry... the Queen can kiss my ass. Nothing personal, just in todays world 'blue blood' cannot be used as justification for power.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Power of the Queen

MMMike said:
Sorry... the Queen can kiss my ass. Nothing personal, just in todays world 'blue blood' cannot be used as justification for power.
MMMike, I don't think it's that big of an issue (in my opinion); the powers of Her Majesty the Queen are restricted through convention, and would only be used without the advice of our Prime Minister of Canada only in the most exigent of circumstances. Besides, I would suggest that it is important for us as Canadians, in terms of being a nation in search of a culture, to keep some continuity (in exemplia, the Canadian Crown).

My two cents. :)

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
continuity with what
murder
corruption
racism
imperialism
colonialism
the slave trade
the opium wars
the rape of africa
continuity with
cutting yer wifes head off for not bearing a son
or boiling someone alive --for the pettiest of crimes---
etc etc

the british monarchy is NOT an instituton that unites canadians --- it devides them
its an impediment

the search for culture--- is to make it
its in the future -- not the past

she represents a despicable shamefull past

she is not fit to kiss my ass

long live the people

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well this song is left over from another thread I was posting in. But I have a song for our Queen....

here it goes.

God save the queen
The fascist regime
They made you a moron
Potential H-bomb

God save the queen
She ain't no human being
There is no future
In England's dreaming

Don't be told what you want
Don't be told what you need
There's no future, no future,
No future for you

God save the queen
We mean it man
We love our queen
God saves

God save the queen
'Cause tourists are money
And our figurehead
Is not what she seems

Oh God save history
God save your mad parade
Oh Lord God have mercy
All crimes are paid

When there's no future
How can there be sin
We're the flowers in the dustbin
We're the poison in your human machine
We're the future, you're future

God save the queen
We mean it man
We love our queen
God saves

God save the queen
We mean it man
And there is no future
In England's dreaming

No future, no future,
No future for you
No future, no future,
No future for me

No future, no future,
No future for you
No future, no future
For you

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Blackleaf said:
At least 20,000 people lined the streets of Windsor to wish the Queen a happy 80th birthday.

Who cares about this bitch? what a waste of money.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
Finder said:
Well this song is left over from another thread I was posting in. But I have a song for our Queen....

here it goes.

God save the queen
The fascist regime
They made you a moron
Potential H-bomb

God save the queen
She ain't no human being
There is no future
In England's dreaming

Don't be told what you want
Don't be told what you need
There's no future, no future,
No future for you

God save the queen
We mean it man
We love our queen
God saves

God save the queen
'Cause tourists are money
And our figurehead
Is not what she seems

Oh God save history
God save your mad parade
Oh Lord God have mercy
All crimes are paid

When there's no future
How can there be sin
We're the flowers in the dustbin
We're the poison in your human machine
We're the future, you're future

God save the queen
We mean it man
We love our queen
God saves

God save the queen
We mean it man
And there is no future
In England's dreaming

No future, no future,
No future for you
No future, no future,
No future for me

No future, no future,
No future for you
No future, no future
For you

hey
wasnt
this
song
written
by

an

ENGLISHMAN......

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
as an addendum
i would separate-- the british monarchy which deserves no respect from those aspects of british culture that have greatly benfitted mankind-- which are worthy of respect

so lets put charles darwin on our money
and madame curie as well