Iraqi Legislature Fails to Convene

Do you think that the Iraqi House of Deputies will concur in a Government before the deadline?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The House of Deputies of the Republic of Iraq was not convened today, when Adnan Pachachi (the Acting Speaker of the House of Deputies) agreed to postpone the opening of the session in the wake of controversy over the proposed nomination of Tariq al-Hashimi as the Speaker of the House of Deputies. Feuds between the parties continue, as some parties oppose the nomination of His Excellency Ibrahim al-Jaafari, the Prime Minister of Iraq, for another term.

The House must agree on a Prime Minister, and Government, by May of 2006.

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cet article n'est pas disponible en français.

:arrow: My Opinion

Perhaps this is cause for concern — despite extensive negotiations having taken place, it would seem as if no progress has been made in terms of the parties in the House agreeing on a Government to take over the ravaged nation. It would appear that the democratic institution imposed in Iraq is undergoing quite serious hardship — I would hope that the Iraqi people, and their representatives, can co-operate enough to make this legislature function. However, I have my doubts...

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of canada.com.