darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Crumbling Under Debt
By John F. Ince
AlterNet

Saturday 08 April 200

Last month, for the third time during the presidency of George W. Bush, the U.S. Congress raised America's debt ceiling. By bumping up our own credit limit, the country's leaders allowed us to technically avoid defaulting on our loans, but the move raises disturbing questions about the resolve of our leaders to ever put the country on a sustainable borrowing path.

Economists and businesspeople have been warning for some time that sooner or later, America's binge of borrowing must come to an end, or we will all suffer drastic consequences. Despite widespread concern about America's increasing debt load, the issue lacks the sort of "sex appeal" that the media needs to go at the issue more aggressively. And without media attention, politicians feel little pressure to deal with the issue in a substantive way.

According to Peter G. Peterson, former secretary of commerce under President Nixon, and today chairman of The Blackstone Group, "There are very serious people that believe our current fiscal irresponsibility is heading this country towards a hard landing." A hard landing is a period that combines rising interest rates with rising inflation rates. That would hit Americans right where it hurts, in the pocketbook, by decreasing their purchasing power at a time when everything costs more.

Today, the average American's share of the national debt is $27,000 and rising. How much longer can this continue? While no one can predict the day of reckoning, this much is for sure: Every day we ignore the problem, we increase the chances that the problem will have severe, if not catastrophic, consequences.

"Sooner or Later" Is Rapidly Becoming Sooner

In the last few weeks, we began to see signals that the consequences may come sooner than most Americans expect. According to Business Week, both the European Central Bank and the Bank of Japan have raised their interest rates - which could signal that the days of foreign investors propping up the U. S. economy may soon be on the wane. Bottom line, this potentially will have serious consequences for all Americans, but especially for average Americans living on the edge of poverty.

The first consequence will be a rapid decline in Americans' standard of living. Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke insists the economy is strong, because many of the traditional measures of economic growth remain solid. Inventory levels, corporate profits and unemployment statistics all point towards continued growth. But what about the $3 billion a day that Americans cumulatively spend on interest payments? What about the estimated $834 billion that Americans have borrowed off their mortgages last year alone? Do average Americans have any kind of savings to use as a cushion in the event of a "hard landing?" Can an already-hard-working single mom just go back into the job market to make ends meet when serious inflation kicks in?

Second, should our debt levels continue to increase at unsustainable rates, we will soon reach a point where foreign investors demand an interest rate premium for lending to us. Or worse yet, they may simply decide to put their money in other financial instruments than U. S. Treasury bonds, which will suck the wind out of the U. S. economy very rapidly and likely lead to recession or a depression.

Third, weaknesses in the U. S. economy will cause the value dollar to weaken relative to foreign currencies. When this happens, as it inevitably must, everything Americans buy from abroad will cost more. And considering that America's manufacturing base has all but evaporated, we buy just about everything from abroad. With our dollar worth increasingly less, virtually every industry will start to feel inflationary pressures, leading to layoffs and a further downward cycle for the economy.

Fourth and most fundamentally, our debt crisis has serious implications for America's status as a world leader. When Britain was the world's most powerful country, it was the world's leading moneylender. But when England became a debtor nation, their stature in world affairs rapidly declined. The lessons of history are clear: A nation's borrowing from abroad is generally a precursor to decline. Harvard economics professor, Benjamin Friedman, says in the TIME-BOMB documentary, "Again and again it has always been the world's leading lending country that has been the premier country in terms of political influence, diplomatic influence and cultural influence. Today we are no longer the world's leading lending country. In fact we are now the world's biggest debtor country, and we are continueing to wield influance on the basis of military prowess alone.

How Did We Get in This Mess?

The root causes and consequences of this situation are explored thoroughly in the TIME-BOMB documentary, and they go much deeper than simply movements in interest rates and capital flows.

Most pointedly, there has been a fundamental shift in political attitudes towards debt, leading towards fiscal irresponsibility by our leaders in Washington. Since taking office, the Bush administration has added $2.5 trillion to the national debt, from $5.662 trillion when Bush took office in January 2001 up to $8.170 trillion on New Year's Day 2006. This represents an astounding increase of 44 percent during a period when prior projections suggested a $4 billion surplus. Despite this alarming increase in the debt during Bush's presidency, no one in a position of power has seriously proposed any measures that would address the root causes of the problem.

Simply put, Americans have become mired in a culture of debt. We buy things we don't make and don't need with money borrowed from abroad. America's economy has shifted dramatically in recent decades from an "old" economy based upon manufacturing capability to a "new and improved" economy based upon services. But increasingly, the services that America offers the world are financial in nature, designed to make it easier for Americans to live beyond their needs. Hence we sink even deeper into debt, comforted by the delusion that foreigners will continue to prop up our economy.

The Blanche Dubois Syndrome

America now relies upon the kindness of strangers to finance almost 50 percent of the government debt, with the lion's share coming from the Asian central banks. We now borrow over 6 percent of our GDP from abroad. Billionaire investor Warren Buffet puts this in perspective: "If the country does not change course, within 10 years the rest of the world would end up owning $15 trillion worth of the United States, equivalent to owning every share of American stock."

www.truthout.org/docs_2006/041006f.shtml[/u]

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Maybe all the lefties should bail now and move to China or Iran.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Crumbling Under Debt

Jay said:

:lol: I don't know about Iran but China's holding an awful big IOU from the states. Now if the lefties left, they will have no one else to blame and start a civil war. As long as there's a scapegoat on the "other side" I'm sure the righties will be all right. :p

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006

Jay said:

We're definitely kissing the wrong butts. :)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
HAHAHAHAHAHAH tHAT'S A GOOD ONE.

Amik I think you're right, what in hell do we want to become deeply integrated with them for thier broke.

The really frightening thing is that they have an enormous military that still works, and since they've shown no hesitation about armed robbery in the past or the present we can resonably expect big time armed violence. They need the middle east and every drop of oil in it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
China seems convinced everything will be OK....maybe you should too?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
China's buying up US debt to protect its existing reserves and burying it under a rock to keep the Yuan from getting too strong.

nobody wants a hard landing.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I don't want to see a hard landing myself,but if they don't back off with the Amworld thing and stay at home what is the choice, nobody has forced them to this point. What has to happen to allow them to extracate themselves from this debt. What worrys me is that they'll do something stupid like trying to run the entire planet, which they have plans to do.I'll vote for letting them down easy because the welfare of so many people and nations depends on the avoidance of global war. What bothers me most is the historical direction they seem to be locked into and the lunatics that run the whole thing.The situation seems to me to have no solution that will satisfy American self esteem and greed. There is no solution for Iraq but an American victory that they cannot have without the destruction of Iran.

If anyone here can see a solution, please tell me what the hell it is.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Who you going to tax and what will cutting spending do to the tax base? How the hell will you tax a bled out middle class? Does that include corporate tax, will you rollback the tax packages of the rich? Will you tax fuels, will you introduce fuel regulation on vehicles? What will higher taxes do to the economy? I know that's a lot of questions but I'm interested in a bloodless solution to the problem.

Toro

Senate Member

darkbeaver said:
Who you going to tax and what will cutting spending do to the tax base? How the hell will you tax a bled out middle class? Does that include corporate tax, will you rollback the tax packages of the rich? Will you tax fuels, will you introduce fuel regulation on vehicles? What will higher taxes do to the economy? I know that's a lot of questions but I'm interested in a bloodless solution to the problem.

Its not an economic problem. The US takes in less tax revenues as a percentage of GDP than just about every other OECD country. Its a political problem, because the GOP has become the party of mindless tax cutters at all costs. Its the Democrats, not the GOP who have become the party of fiscal responsibility. But they GOP is so focussed on tax cuts and nothing but, while the American people have this great aversion to raising taxes, so there's no impetus right now to do so. But eventually, they will, like they did in the 1990s.

Taxes should be raised primarily on the rich. Not only did they have the biggest tax cuts but they have also been the biggest benefactors of globalization. And you've seen the gap in wages rise. Corporate taxes in the US are actually fairly high compared to other countries.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006

Toro said:
darkbeaver said:

Raise taxes and cut spending.

Next question.

an american president with that agenda--
political suicide -- wont happen

Toro

Senate Member

cortezzz said:
Toro said:
darkbeaver said:

Next question.

Slick Willie did it.

And they used to say that in Canada about cutting social spending. But it happened.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Christ it all seems to come back in a big rotten circle to GW and the crazies, how in the hell are you guys going to get him out of there. And what real alternative do the democrats represent if the same corporate and military institutions fund and control the democratic party as with the republicans. I don't think you'll be able to get much out of the rich without kidnapping them, thier moneys got to be out of touch in some vault on a bloody island somewhere, and nobody knows what they have tucked away, how are you going to tax something you can't count.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006

Toro said:
cortezzz said:
Toro said:
darkbeaver said:

Next question.

Slick Willie did it.

And they used to say that in Canada about cutting social spending. But it happened.

but didnt canada do it because it began to draw some heat from the IMF
or was it the world bank-- i dont know

anyway
there was a will-- to do it
i sense there is barely a serious recognition of the problem in the US-- let alone will