Libby claims Bush OK'd leak about Iraq weapons

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
And just like in france, people in the us will riot in the street to get their president impeach.......oups no, i guess the americans are used to get screwed.....

WASHINGTON -- U.S. President George W. Bush, who has often denounced leaks from the White House, has been named by a former official as the one who authorized disclosing sensitive information on Iraq's weapons program.

There's no indication that Bush directed anyone to mention the name of former undercover agent Valerie Plame in the high-profile CIA leak case that has long plagued the administration.

But in an embarrassing revelation, Lewis Libby, who worked for Vice-President Dick Cheney and has been indicted in the scandal, told prosecutors that Bush gave the word to pass on prewar intelligence about Iraq.

Court documents made public yesterday don't specify what that information was. But Bush was facing growing criticism at the time over the failure to find weapons of mass destruction, the reason he gave for the invasion.

White House spokesperson Scott McClellan said he'd have no comment because it's an ongoing investigation.

However, Democrats demanded details of what role the two men played.

Howard Dean, chairperson of the Democratic National Committee, said Bush "can no longer be trusted to keep America safe" after putting the interests of his party ahead of security.

Analysts say presidents are within their legal rights to declassify papers that serve their purposes, even as they bemoan leaks.

"But it's embarrassing when they're caught at it," said political analyst Stephen Hess. "This time, we caught them leaking from the top."

Still, Hess said, it remains to be seen whether this will further damage Bush, who's already suffering from record-low approval ratings.

The disclosure does suggest that Libby's trial in January on five counts of perjury, obstruction and lying to the FBI may contain some revelations about Bush and not just Cheney, as everyone had expected.

Some speculated the president could be called to testify.

But the trial is well after November's mid-term elections, notes analyst Larry Sabato at the University of Virginia.

And Bush's connection to the leak case pales in comparison to his war woes, he said.

"To the average American, this doesn't matter. What matters is the constant daily grind of killing in Iraq."

Bush has repeatedly implied that he knew nothing about the CIA leaks. He once threatened to fire anyone who who was involved.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/International/2006/04/07/1523756-sun.html

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
the truth such a non-event in politics. I find it mind-boggling, but that's probably just me.

love the sig. you're aware of the irony, no?

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Libby claims Bush OK'

darkbeaver said:
The truth is mind boggling and it's not just you.

Not much right winger are here in this thread to tell what they think, no wonder why.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
<Snip ... Personal attack. You know better Jay! Cosmo

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Libby claims Bush OK'

darkbeaver said:
The truth is mind boggling and it's not just you.

Washington, 41 and 43.

that'll make it George III, no?

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Libby claims Bush OK'd leak about Iraq weapons

Jay said:
Because your full of shit? Ya, that's it.

LOL, at leats you guys make me laugh.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

aeon said:
Jay said:

Yes at least we do because I fear you provide no entertainment for us, and some members are getting a bit tired of it. Know what I mean?

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yawn.
Whats new? On going efforts to "get" Bush no matter what?
So IF Cheney did tell Libby GW wanted some intelligence released to counter Wilson's charges of misleading Americans on Nigers uranium... big deal.
The court documents do not suggest illegal activity by Bush although Libby claims GW OKayed the release.
When this kefuffle blows over in a few months the underminers of the war effort will find another "Yawn".

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Hahahahahahaha. Bizarre.
So the famous leak turns out to be 8 pages of classified intelligence that the Administration officially declassified.
It is the Prez's job to decide what is secret and what is not. The 8 pages were released to show the truth regarding Wilsons take on the Iraqi Niger connection. There was no kerfuffle at the time.
But now the disgusting Dems could not pass up the opportunity to imply Bush called up Cheney and said to leak the story. Nutters immediately took the bait and ran with it.
Moral of the story. Everything that is declassified is not a leak.
It is normal DECLASSIFICATION.

aperion

Apr 7, 2006
no matter what internet forum you look thru the hypocrisy of right wingers -- is absolutely MINDBLOWING!

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Jay said:
aeon said:
Jay said:

Yes at least we do because I fear you provide no entertainment for us, and some members are getting a bit tired of it. Know what I mean?

Don t worry, i am just starting.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
zoofer said:
Yawn.
Whats new? On going efforts to "get" Bush no matter what?
So IF Cheney did tell Libby GW wanted some intelligence released to counter Wilson's charges of misleading Americans on Nigers uranium... big deal.
The court documents do not suggest illegal activity by Bush although Libby claims GW OKayed the release.
When this kefuffle blows over in a few months the underminers of the war effort will find another "Yawn".

Doesnt matter, this was done only to discredit wilson claim, which was that niger never deal with saddam, just like the white house memo,show there is no diplomacy with those guys, exactly just like the nazi at the time.

Bush already said he will fired those who has let this information and again, now we know it is himself who has let this out, he still will get away with it, and right winger just like you are, are turning back, hey who cares if they lie, as long as they engaged war against my ennemies, the rest is irrelevent.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
hey aeon
wasnt john stuart mill-- a conservative-- or am i thinking of someone else

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Bush de-classified the information so what? It's in his right as President to de-classify any information he wishes. As for the Valerie Plame indentity being leaked, there is even questions if her cover as a covert CIA agent wasn't blown years ago.

Photo Finished?
Valerie Plame and Joseph Wilson attended a state dinner at the Clinton White House in Feb 1999. They were announced and shook hands with Clinton on the receiving line. It aired on C-SPAN.
Coincidence? Did she identify herself as Valerie Plame? Or did Joe?

http://macsmind.blogspot.com/2005/10/photo-finished.html

It does raise a serious question "Was Valerie Plame outed before Robert Novak`s story came out?" Of course you would never hear these kind of questions raised by the MSM!

This whole issue of Bush de-classifying information to be released means nothing except for the Anti-Bushies who are so desperate to nail Bush with anything and the Democrats want to impeach Bush for revenge of Clinton's impeachment so they are even more desperate to nail Bush.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

cortezzz said:
hey aeon
wasnt john stuart mill-- a conservative-- or am i thinking of someone else

liberal. in the classical sense though. that's the funny part.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Johnny Utah said:
Bush de-classified the information so what? It's in his right as President to de-classify any information he wishes. As for the Valerie Plame indentity being leaked, there is even questions if her cover as a covert CIA agent wasn't blown years ago.

Photo Finished?
Valerie Plame and Joseph Wilson attended a state dinner at the Clinton White House in Feb 1999. They were announced and shook hands with Clinton on the receiving line. It aired on C-SPAN.

It does raise a serious question "Was Valerie Plame outed before Robert Novak`s story came out?" Of course you would never hear these kind of questions raised by the MSM!

This whole issue of Bush de-classifying information to be released means nothing except for the Anti-Bushies who are so desperate to nail Bush with anything and the Democrats want to impeach Bush for revenge of Clinton's impeachment so they are even more desperate to nail Bush.

Ohh i see you dont care that your president lied to you, but you do care if your president have a nice blow job .

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
aeon said:
Johnny Utah said:

Photo Finished?

Ohh i see you dont care that your president lied to you, but you do care if your president have a nice blow job .
What I posted had nothing to do with Clinton's Intern days, it's about if Valerie Plame's indentity was exposed years ago. Stick to the subject. :wink:

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Johnny Utah said:
What I posted had nothing to do with Clinton's Intern days, it's about if Valerie Plame's indentity was exposed years ago. Stick to the subject. :wink:

And the valerie plame subject shows only double standard and hypocryte behavior from this administration, they wanted so bad this war, they were even ready to tell anything to get it, and what powell did in front of the UN before the war , which was completly ridicoulus, proved it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Here's a right-winger to tell you what he thinks......and he does think. :)

Bush can de-classify material, and he can re-classify material. He has done nothing illegal, and nothing to deserve impeachment.

There is only one man's word that Bush did leak anything.

That said, I am becoming a little disenchanted with the Bush administration. This sort of thing, if it is true, is a morally indefensible, if not illegal.