Anti-war protesters mar Rice's visit to Blackburn.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Condoleeza Rice and her pal, British Foreign Secretary al-Jaq Straw, visited al-Jaq's constituency of Blackburn in Lancashire, a town with a large Muslim population. Muslim protesters partly ruined the trip by not allowing Condoleeza and al-Jaq to visit the mosque that they were supposed to be visiting. But really, are Muslims bound to like her? After all, she's a woman, she's black and she's American...

Times Online March 31, 2006

Condoleeza Rice and al-Jaq Straw meet (mainly Muslim) pupils at the PleckGate School in Blackburn, Lancashire. Some pupils at this school told Rice to "go home."(EPA/GEOFF CADDICK)

They also visited Ewood Park, home of Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

Rice admits 'many mistakes' in Iraq
By Simon Freeman

The House of Many Colours

Condoleezza Rice today admitted that America had made thousands of tactical errors in the invasion of Iraq.

The US Secretary of State, answering questions from journalists during a tour of North West England, insisted, however, that its overall strategy of removing Saddam Hussein would be judged favourably in the future.

At an event organised by foreign policy organisation Chatham House in Ewood Park - the home ground of Blackburn Rovers Football Club - she said: "I know we have made tactical errors, thousands of them I am sure. [But] I believe strongly that it was the right strategic decision, that Saddam had been a threat to the international community long enough."

In a speech in which she also insisted that America had no desire to become the "world's jailer", Ms Rice indicated that the US was not planning to bring home its troops, despite growing demands for withdrawal among the American public.

"I think it would be wrong to somehow leave Iraq to the mercies of the Zarqawis of the world or the former Baathists who really do want to unravel the political process," she said.

The Secretary of State's decision to go off the beaten track of diplomatic visits - in response to a return invitation from her counterpart Jack Straw to visit his constituency - was not universally popular.

As she delivered her speech, anti-war protestors gathered outside some bearing placards describing her as the world's number one terrorist, others telling her to "Go Home!". A small coffin was held aloft to symbolise the deaths of children in the invasion.

Ms Rice brushed off the demonstrations, remarking that it was the right of the public in a democratic country to express their views.

"Oh, it’s OK, people have a right to protest and a right to make their views known," she said. "Each individual all over the world has the God-given right to express themselves. I’m not just going to visit places where people agree with me. That would be really unfortunate."

This morning, a small but enthusiastic crowd of anti-war protesters chanted "Condoleezza Rice go home!" as the party arrived at Pleckgate High School where some parents of the 1,200 pupils were angered that the visit was arranged without their knowledge.

The protest was noisy but good natured and overseen by an intense police operation. A visit to the Masjide Al Hidayah mosque, organised by Sheikh Straw in an attempt to demonstrate the religious harmony in his constituency, was cancelled after threats of a sit-in demonstration by Muslims.

Ms Rice said that she was unperturbed by the chilly reception, but admitted to being less than impressed with the North's legendary weather.

Jabbar Khan, 16, said that Ms Rice had told him she was not enjoying the clouds and light rain, comparing conditions unfavourably to the weather in her hometown of Birmingham, Alabama. He added: "I think the protest is wrong because this school is a democratic school and we should be proud to have such a high profile visitor."

Rabiya Adam, 33, was outside with the protestors. She said she did not want her children to be "preached at" by Ms Rice. "Condoleezza Rice is not welcome in our hometown. She was behind all the killings in Iraq. When I found out she was coming here to speak to our children, I didn’t want her to preach what she did in Iraq," she said.

Russell Jenkins, of The Times, said: "The demonstration outside the school was quite small, about 200 people, mostly parents. It was noisy, with lots off 'booing' and shouts of 'Condi go home' but good-natured - there were no eggs thrown or anything like that.

"There is a huge police presence and while it would be unfair to say that offices outnumber the protestors, it's not far short.

"Shortly before her cavalcade arrived, police closed the road outside the school but when the minibus pulled up it ducked in through a back gate so that she did have to go past the protesters.

"The parents feel that they are being used as political pawns because they weren't consulted about the visit. They say it was foisted upon them and they don't agree with it. The police, some might say a little meanly, forced the protesters to stand on the other side of the road behind an iron fence - and in about five inches of mud."

The two-day trip is to repay an invitation to Ms Rice's hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, last year, where Sheikh Straw was taken on a tour of her childhood haunts.

The party was due to move on to the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, established by Sir Paul McCartney, before a concert at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall.

Opponents of the Iraq war have set up a website www.condiwatch.co.uk listing times and locations for marches and gatherings.

thetimesonline.co.uk