Mayor calls US ambassador 'chiselling little crook.'

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As usual, Americans thing they are above the law....

US gets in a jam with London mayor over road toll
By Christopher Adams in London
Published: March 27 2006 21:48 | Last updated: March 27 2006 21:48

London’s mayor on Monday accused the US ambassador to the UK of behaving “like a chiselling little crook” in a spat over the embassy’s refusal to pay the city’s road toll.

Ken Livingstone, the famously outspoken left-wing mayor and long-standing critic of American foreign policy, delivered his latest outburst during a television interview. His assault on Robert Tuttle was prompted by the long-running dispute over the embassy’s refusal to pay the congestion charge, a toll that is levied on those driving through central London during business hours.

American diplomats have refused to pay the £8 a day toll since last July, racking up many tens of thousands of pounds in unpaid charges. The embassy is believed to have about one hundred cars and fines for each day of non-payment can be as much £150 a vehicle. The embassy argues the charge is a tax and that diplomats are exempt.

Mr Livingstone, something of a stranger to diplomatic niceties, said: “It would actually be quite nice if the American ambassador in Britain could pay the charge that everybody else is paying and not actually try and skive out of it like a chiselling little crook.”

Earlier, he had told reporters: “When British troops are putting their lives on the line for American foreign policy, it would be quite nice if they paid the congestion charge.”

news.ft.com . . .

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Mayor calls US ambass

Parking tickets, I hope there is a peaceful resolution to this thorny world problem lest it get out of hand and become newsworthy, oops to late.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
When the tens of thousands UN lackeys from around the world, including London pay their parking tickets in NY city, I would suggest the snotty nosed jerk keep quiet.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
zoofer said:
When the tens of thousands UN lackeys from around the world, including London pay their parking tickets in NY city, I would suggest the snotty nosed jerk keep quiet.

So you also see the huge problem of unpaid parking tickets, no doubt the diabolical work of communist sympathizers and fifth columists insane leftleaninliberallooneys evildoers hehehehehe islamofacsist parking terrorists hehehehe. It's a conspiracy.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah I agree.
Those communist sympathizers and fifth columists insane leftleaninliberallooneys evildoers should receive a couple of warning shots between the eyes. That learn 'em! :evil:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
If they have unpaid parking tickets, property taxes (which many diplomats do in new york) that doesn't excuse not paying the road toll. There is nothing special about them, they should pay, end of story. If i were the mayor of London I would tow their cars or not permit them in the city of London. There is no excuse.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
A tax is a tax and the Mayor should be told to go fly a kite. More diplomatic than to tell him to F Off.