To prevent these threads from being locked, pls read:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
This board is a moderate-to-left board, albeit with a growing right-leaning faction.

I will ask that the right-leaning members please respect the essential nature of this board. If your intention here is to badger left-leaning members, then this is not the right place for you. If you have an underlying Come-to-Bush agenda, please take it elsewhere.

As for lefties who feel intolerant towards the right-leaners, that can stop as well. There is no room for intolerance on this board.

A good deal of effort has been made to make everybody feel welcome here. Further, you are all being treated as adults who don't need to be chastised (in any seriousness, that is). Please don't abuse the relaxed conditions anymore.

In the future, I expect the political threads to be conducted in a civilized manner. If you feel yourself overcome by rage and indignation, click out of the forum until you have calmed down. Do NOT post in a rage.

My solution to the ongoing unpleasantness, if it does not stop, will be to lock all political threads until you all have a chance to get a grip.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Addendum:

. . . The worst thing in the world is to have a forum that is all left or all right. They become as bland as milquetoast. On the other hand, having a mix takes effort, effort on our part to ensure civility, but a greater effort on your part to maintain that civility.

. . . While tempers cannot help but arise on occasion, every member of this forum is intelligent enough to refrain from personal attacks.

. . . Wreck Beach exists for the very purpose of letting off steam. While I prefer it to remain a fun area, it has a darker purpose as well. Use it.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Yet Another Addendum:

. . . Everybody is welcome to condemn me, question me, rant at me, and generally abuse me over this announcement. While what you say may not sway me, I will always listen to your concerns.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: To prevent these thre

Toro said:
Can I post in rage over Canada's national hockey team?

:D Yes, Toro. You can rage over that. You can also rage over the appalling absence of nekkid women in threads promising such. :lol:

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
haggis--
im trying to intentionally become so left wing that everybody on this board seems like a right winger
its fun
and where are those nekid women-- they can be righties or lefties -- i dont care

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Toro said:

Hockey team? You use the term loosely.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Toro said:

:D Yes, Toro. You can rage over that. You can also rage over the appalling absence of nekkid women in threads promising such. :lol:

I can help with that if you're too busy.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Re: RE: To prevent these threads from being locked, pls read

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Addendum:

. . . The worst thing in the world is to have a forum that is all left or all right. They become as bland as milquetoast. On the other hand, having a mix takes effort, effort on our part to ensure civility, but a greater effort on your part to maintain that civility.

Your first post suggests quite strongly that what you want is an all left board. That's unfortunate; on a forum that used the Danish flag as a symbol of freedom to be deliberately insulting and inflame an already ridiculous situation, it amazes me that all of a sudden people would suggest that posters had better toe the line.

Hypocrisy is a wonderful tool.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that Haggis was, rather than indicating any sort of preference for an "all-one-side" forum, indicating the reality of the situation, which is that a majority of the members of this forum are left-leaning in nature.

She indicated that both sides should be respectful toward one another.

I see nothing hypocritical in that.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Yet Another Addendum:

. . . Everybody is welcome to condemn me, question me, rant at me, and generally abuse me over this announcement. While what you say may not sway me, I will always listen to your concerns.

While I try not to engage in wholesale slaughter of opponents from time to time I do engage in and enjoy baiting the opposition, I considider my endeavors in that direction fully in keeping with the Parliament of this country (Canuckistan).
While you have broached the subject of condemnation of yourself I will take this oportunity to beg you to drop the torture routine, while I understand it's seeming harmless intention, in the light of recent topical storys it hurts me everytime I see it''s use advocated here in these threads. Perhaps you could update to a more politically correct description of what acctually happens in your chambers.
Perhaps we could have an contest to select a more sophisticated
description of your job. In many circles torture has new meaning which I am sure you do not want to be involved in. :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

cortez said:
haggis--
im trying to intentionally become so left wing that everybody on this board seems like a right winger
its fun
and where are those nekid women-- they can be righties or lefties -- i dont care

I would never sleep with a righty, well maybe, but she'd have to get me very drunk and stuffed with choclates.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
TenPenny, you need to reread my post. Based on what you said in your post, you did not get what I was saying. FiveParadox did: I want everybody to show simple respect for each other. You're all capable of it. It isn't asking much.

Sure, I could single out the offenders, but really, I think that's pointless. You all know who is and who isn't making personal attacks, you don't need me to point it out. Thing escalate because of reactions. Anybody who feels it necessary to respond to a personal attack shows the same poor judgement as the person making the attack.

I have been one of the most outspoken supporters of having a right-wing voice on this board. Perhaps you are not aware of that, but that is neither here nor there. I thoroughly enjoy having the two voices, both left and right. I just as thoroughly dislike the sad and easily avoided direction the political boards have taken.

My goal is to make this a place where you all feel comfortable, a place where you can rant, but not make vicious rants against another member. Will you help me in this, TenPenny?

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Haggis, would it be OK if we conduct ourselves according to the way our actual politicians conduct themselves in parliament.....

I think they have many a time provided excellent examples of a well run civil.. debate.....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It would probably be better to avoid parliamentary behaviour, cortez ... our Members of Parliament tend to get a bit out of touch with reality when they start discussing things in the House of Commons. :)

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Are you saying we should be held up to a higher standard of conduct than our elected members of parliament......

Are you also saying that our members of parliament...nay for sooth, even our own prime minister, are out of touch with reality.....

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Haggis. You make good points and I agree, we can post without personal attacks. Left or Right.

You may want to hire some bouncers as those who joke and cajole on this very thread will not be able to hold their forked tongues for long.

I have enjoyed my stay thus far under fire.

Cheers
M

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
No you don't need to find another site Finder, we are all adults we should be able to debate a subject on merit. Some days I'm the wind shield and some days I'm the bug.