1 Briton and 2 Canadians freed - American killed

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Is it just me or does this sort of suggest to you a slow softening of the extremist arabic world towards the UK and canada, or a deepening hatred of the US?

I mean they made an example of the US citizen by beheading him a couple of weeks ago, besides, they didnt free those 3, it was down to the british secret services, clever chaps that they still are, I mean, they didnt even hit any chinese embassies lol.

Me thinks it's not the same "intellegence" agency that claimed the WMD's, but seriously, whats ur views?, I''m just glad Norman Kember is finally back

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
First off, they never beheaded the Yank. They gave him two in the head and one in the chest. Secondly the British Secret Service didn't free the hostages; it was a joint force of U.S. Delta Force, British SAS, Canadian JTF-2, and Iraqi Special Forces working off intel received in Country less than 3 hours prior to the raid. As for softening, perhaps. I doubt we'd be afforded the same treatment in Afghanistan however.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: 1 Briton and 2 Canadi

bloody UKTV....sorry, theyve done an "americanism", taken all the credit soz...but seriously, what do ppl think about it?, plus hey JTF-2, SAS theyre interchangable, I've seen canadian members of the SAS as well as australian and Kiwis.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: 1 Briton and 2 Canadi

I think I agree with you there darkbeaver, I think we're fooling ourselves if we think the US has anything other than imperial asperations

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: 1 Briton and 2 Canadians freed - American killed

Mogz said:
First off, they never beheaded the Yank. They gave him two in the head and one in the chest. Secondly the British Secret Service didn't free the hostages; it was a joint force of U.S. Delta Force, British SAS, Canadian JTF-2, and Iraqi Special Forces working off intel received in Country less than 3 hours prior to the raid. As for softening, perhaps. I doubt we'd be afforded the same treatment in Afghanistan however.

They still killed him, though.

And the rescue operation was LED by the British and the SAS, the best special forces in the world.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: 1 Briton and 2 Canadians freed - American killed

Blackleaf said:
Mogz said:

They still killed him, though.

And the rescue operation was LED by the British and the SAS, the best special forces in the world.

Every news source has said that details of the rescue are sketchy at best. One even said that the RCMP may have been there.

But here is Blackleaf saying that it was led by the SAS. :lol:

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Re: RE: 1 Briton and 2 Canadi

darkbeaver said:
I think Canada is working in Iraq with imperial pricks.

I don't agree with that at all. The JTF-2 were involved in a hostage rescue operation (which is more or less one of their main reasons for existence) in a foreign country which happened to be occupied by the British and Americans. This rescue doesn't really help anyone other than the hostages; I really don't see how rescuing three missionaries from violent executions furthers the Americans "Imperial Goals"...

In any case, this is exactly why the JTF-2 exists, and I'm glad that they were able to do what they are supposed to do. Protect Canadians. When Canadians are held hostage, it shouldn't matter if they are in Iraq or Milwaukee, our forces should do everything they can to get them out of trouble.