Militants will try to hit Scandinavia

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1179062.ece

"A top Norwegian authority says that Islamist militants are operating in the Nordic countries, exploiting their open, liberal societies and will sooner or later launch an attack in Scandinavia.

"It's only a matter of time before we have a terrorist attack in Scandinavia; in Norway or Denmark or Sweden," Jørn Holme, head of the Police Security Service (PST), Norway's domestic intelligence service, told Reuters.

Al Qaeda named Norway as a potential target, alongside the United States, Britain, Australia and other countries, in 2003.

Norway, the world's third largest oil exporter, is a member of NATO and has troops and fighter jets in Afghanistan but did not back the US-led invasion of Iraq. In 1993 Norway brokered a peace deal between the Palestinians and Israel.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's what Canadians and the French were thinking before the war: we won't invade Iraq therefore we'll be safe from terrorism.

But it wasn't to be.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Thanks Blackleaf....my thoughts exactly, but I don't want to be the only one here with great ideas....I wanted to see if anyone else would pick up on that.

I think France had "other" reasons to stay out of it too though.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: Militants will try to

How wrong exactly was the (not universally shared OBVIOUSLY) notion that we up in Canada weren't "safe from terrorism"???
Other than the fairly common utterances from certain factios in our government (my fave being last years "Canadians must prepare themselves for an attack" BS, famous propagandists from history would be proud of such an intellectually transparent, emotional suckerpunch MO) I really can't see "terrorism" being much of a concern here in the country- I have yet to phone in a single "suspicious middle easterners" tip ....

I think that not exacerbating the situation by jumping into the flames may be, while not the most bold stance, a fairly prudent one when one considers the actual roots of the phenomenon so casually referred to as "terrorism"

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't think anyone thought not invading Iraq would make us immune to Al Qaeda's anger. We were already in Afghanistan.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Militants will try to hit Scandinavia

tracy said:
I don't think anyone thought not invading Iraq would make us immune to Al Qaeda's anger. We were already in Afghanistan.

I will have to do some digging on this one, and get back to you.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
What? Weren't we in Afghanistan by then? I thought we went there in 2001? And the Iraqi invasion started in 2003 right?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yes, sorry...I meant the argument used to stay out of Iraq was in part the fear of retaliation on the part of terror networks.

Sorry for being unclear.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Oh ok:) Sorry, I got confused there. My friends all make fun of me because I have a very messed up concept of time (meaning no concept of time at all), so for a second I thought it was completely possible that I had mixed those two events up :)