Afghan pleads for Canada to stay

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
KABUL (CP) - Local shopkeepers and labourers repeated the pleas of President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday for Canada to remain committed to building democracy, despite the bloody conflict in southern Afghanistan.

"It's part of the humanity of Canadians that they sacrifice their lives for Afghanistan," Saed Qadir, a fruit vendor, said through a translator.

Qadir, whose dilapidated stand sits across the street from a sports stadium, said the sacrifice of 12 Canadian lives since 2002 has not gone unnoticed by ordinary Afghanis.

"As long as they help us, we pray for them because they're making our country secure," he said.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper wrapped up a surprise morale-boosting visit to the 2,200 Canadian troops in Afghanistan by meeting with Karzai on Tuesday.

While the president talked about the need to protect the country's fledgling democracy, Qadir and others said they are more concerned Canadians help restore the basics, starting with safety.

Until remnants of the old Taliban regime and other "terrorists are defeated the job is not done," said Zian ul-Aeideen, a carpenter whose shop overlooks the road where a Canadian soldier died in a suicide attack two years ago.

He said there is a real fear among people that Canada and Britain will follow the U.S. and reduce its troop strength in the region, leading to more chaos and instability.

"If you're on a mission, you have to complete it," ul-Aeideen said through a translator.

While most people who agreed to be interviewed were grateful for the military assistance, they also expressed impatience with Karzei, often labelled as a puppet of the U.S.

Economic and social change, particularly a better education system, are too slow in coming, they said.

"Beside bringing security and helping our military forces, Canada should help us in other fields," said Mohammed Sadeeq, including education.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w031433A.xml

Well I don't support some things the Conservatives have done either in America or in Canada but in this instance I agree with Canadians to remain to help the Afghan people.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Jersay said:
KABUL (CP) - Local shopkeepers and labourers repeated the pleas of President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday for Canada to remain committed to building democracy, despite the bloody conflict in southern Afghanistan.

"It's part of the humanity of Canadians that they sacrifice their lives for Afghanistan," Saed Qadir, a fruit vendor, said through a translator.

Qadir, whose dilapidated stand sits across the street from a sports stadium, said the sacrifice of 12 Canadian lives since 2002 has not gone unnoticed by ordinary Afghanis.

"As long as they help us, we pray for them because they're making our country secure," he said.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper wrapped up a surprise morale-boosting visit to the 2,200 Canadian troops in Afghanistan by meeting with Karzai on Tuesday.

While the president talked about the need to protect the country's fledgling democracy, Qadir and others said they are more concerned Canadians help restore the basics, starting with safety.

Until remnants of the old Taliban regime and other "terrorists are defeated the job is not done," said Zian ul-Aeideen, a carpenter whose shop overlooks the road where a Canadian soldier died in a suicide attack two years ago.

He said there is a real fear among people that Canada and Britain will follow the U.S. and reduce its troop strength in the region, leading to more chaos and instability.

"If you're on a mission, you have to complete it," ul-Aeideen said through a translator.

While most people who agreed to be interviewed were grateful for the military assistance, they also expressed impatience with Karzei, often labelled as a puppet of the U.S.

Economic and social change, particularly a better education system, are too slow in coming, they said.

"Beside bringing security and helping our military forces, Canada should help us in other fields," said Mohammed Sadeeq, including education.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w031433A.xml

Well I don't support some things the Conservatives have done either in America or in Canada but in this instance I agree with Canadians to remain to help the Afghan people.

We are not in afganisthan to help afganies, we are there to help coorporations, period.

Hamid karzai worked for unocal, the coorporations that wants to build a pipeline in afganisthan.

Toro

Senate Member
RE: Afghan pleads for Can

Oh, of course.

Whenever I sat down with managements of defense companies, financial companies, energy companies, etc., etc., the number one topic was always about which countries we'd invade so we can steal all the resources - which, in Afghanistan's case, is the heroin trade.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I'm proud of the work our soldiers are doing there. I don't know what motivates government decisions half of the time, but I know the motives of our soldiers are good ones.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Afghans need Canada, they need the support and more important they need to know the World will not abandon them when they are trying to rebuild their lives after 30 years of War. When they see Canadian Soldiers helping them they are seeing the face of every Canadian.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
aeon said:
We are not in afganisthan to help afganies, we are there to help coorporations, period.

Hamid karzai worked for unocal, the coorporations that wants to build a pipeline in afganisthan.

So instead of an educated man with experience in business and international trade, the President of Afghanistan should have been... that kid with the axe, maybe?

And the Afghanis are no longer getting their fingers cut off for wearing nail polish, so i'd say they feel we're helping them at least a little.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ahhh, so were there to help the nail-polish corporations....now I get it!

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Re: RE: Afghan pleads for Canada to stay

Jay said:
Ahhh, so were there to help the nail-polish corporations....now I get it!

Next time we firebomb Pakistan to help out our corporate buddies at Mom and Pops Olde Tyme Kite Shoppe!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4800004.stm

EDIT: actually I read the article and it turns out people coat the kite with glass and metal blades and have all-night Kite Wars which spill over into a bit of Collateral Damage. Hmpf!! Just another example of the Fat Cat Kite manufacturers of Corporate Amerika destroying the world in their Economic Crusade!!! O Angels with chocolate wings, save us from this tyranny!!!

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I would just like to take this opportunity to say this after you've all read that article. Haven't I been saying what these people from Afghanistan are saying? I have utterly recounted time and time again tales of what I was told while I was in Afghanistan. Yet, for some reason, faced with both what i've said, and quotes from Afghans themselves, we get this from Aeon:

What do you do for a living Aeon? I'm curious.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Mogz, the pacifists explained this to us "The media/medium are liars" what we read isn't the truth-we are sheep. It's all propaganda to steal oil. I stilll think it's a load of horse shit, but hay I am a leftest ewe. Our mission in Afghanistan is a positive thing, over--out cheers, M

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Sassylassie said:
Mogz, the pacifists explained this to us "The media/medium are liars" what we read isn't the truth-we are sheep. It's all propaganda to steal oil. I stilll think it's a load of horse shit, but hay I am a leftest ewe. Our mission in Afghanistan is a positive thing, over--out cheers, M
It's always about Oil isn't it? :lol:
The Moonbats even said when Clinton launched the Kosovo War to stop the Serbs it was about Oil. :lol: They sure hate Oil yet they use Oil when they drive their cars among other things which makes them hypocrites. :wink:

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I may be "Way out there" but I'm beginning to think that the terrorist are joining political forums to spread fear, hate and mistrust and these wild theorys about oil, shake head, roll eyes. I have never heard so much anti-American crap come out of Canada before. It's bothers me.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Sassylassie said:
I may be "Way out there" but I'm beginning to think that the terrorist are joining political forums to spread fear, hate and mistrust and these wild theorys about oil, shake head, roll eyes. I have never heard so much anti-American crap come out of Canada before. It's bothers me.
There are Terrorist sympathizers on political forums that's a given. I don't see any on here, just a few Kool-Aid drinking Moonbats. I have heard alot of Anti-American and Anti-Canadian crap that would make you wonder who's side these people really are on.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I can guess but what does the term "Kool-Aid drinking moon bats mean" For terrorism to work it only needs a few easy to train nut-case to jump on board and terror reigns.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Johnny; God bless you I haven't laughed like that in years. Oh my god that was funny. I loved the line "Did you ever wonder where the protesters from Vietnam era went" It look like a hill billy family reunion. Cheers M.