Britain to France - who loves you, baby?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's good to see that the British and French still love each other and that no rivalry exists at all.....

Britain to France - who loves you, baby?

SALZBURG, Austria (Reuters) - Up to their old tricks, Britain and France sparred verbally on Saturday about who was more delighted to see whom in Europe.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw opened the hostilities, telling reporters at an EU foreign ministers meeting in Austria it was no surprise that France was dragging its feet on a pledge of eventual European Union membership for the states of the Western Balkans.

"We are used in the United Kingdom to the fact that the French are always reluctant to take new countries in, because the French voted 'No' against the UK on two occasions.

"Nonetheless, France has come to love the United Kingdom in the EU and I am quite sure it will come to like every other country inside the European Union," he said.

When Straw made a similar comment around the ministers' table, French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy reached for similarly heavy irony in response.

"I replied that I was not only happy to see how the United Kingdom was in the European Union today, but I was delighted at how very European the United Kingdom was becoming," Douste-Blazy told a news conference.

France, he insisted, took EU membership more seriously than "some" because it saw Europe a political project, not "just a market".

That was why it wanted a serious debate about the conditions and limits of further enlargement when EU leaders meet in June.

Douste-Blazy implicitly rebuked Straw for saying that independence for Kosovo from Serbia was "almost inevitable".

Noting that former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari was trying to broker an agreement between Belgrade and Pristina on behalf of the United Nations, he said it was best "to respect the negotiator and not prejudge the outcome of the negotiation".

today.reuters.co.uk . . .

CanEcosse

Mar 9, 2006
Oh yeh - the Brits and the French - lurrrving each other in every sense of the word ! :roll:

The English love to go into France and shop but most seem to hate their culture. There is a lot of resentment for the European Union's rules and regulations. Not long ago there was a news story about how certain officials stated that signs on the motorways should have the mileage changed from miles to kilometres. Im sure that most British people would agree to that ! :wink: