Free Trade: Not for America

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now it appears from the Port deal, that it is okay for America to put interests in other foreign nations and do whatever they want in the name of free-trade, but this is the second time that the Americans have rejected foreign investment in their country.

They cannot and do not deserve to have it both ways. Therefore, other nations should stop U.S companies from taking control of vital interests in their nations and make it more national owned or to a friendlier Free Trade nation (like Canada).

I think this is going to damage America in the long term when they try to get more Free Trade deals.

magpie

Mar 8, 2006
Jersay said:
Now it appears from the Port deal, that it is okay for America to put interests in other foreign nations and do whatever they want in the name of free-trade, but this is the second time that the Americans have rejected foreign investment in their country.

They cannot and do not deserve to have it both ways. Therefore, other nations should stop U.S companies from taking control of vital interests in their nations and make it more national owned or to a friendlier Free Trade nation (like Canada).

I think this is going to damage America in the long term when they try to get more Free Trade deals.

"Free Trade" Hah not that is a joke, by the time you jump through all the hoops and do all the paper work to get something into that country it's cost you a bundle. They just keep coming up with more rules and road blocks and I think they will find they are cutting their own throats and the rest of the world is going to go "elsewhere".

Toro

Senate Member
RE: Free Trade: Not for A

The world goes somewhere else.

Interest rates skyrocket to attract foreign capital.

America plunges into a recession.

Canada plunges into a recession because 40% of everything Canada makes goes to the States.

Yup, sure hope the world goes somewhere else.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Let's give up our port security to questionable countries. The left was screaming their heads off when Bush wanted to give the contract to UAE, now that they are not getting it, they have changed their tune. Puhleaze. :roll:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I have to agree with Toro and this is what this thread is about.

America claims it loves free trade, therefore because of these actions, nations that have U.S companies wanting to buy into them should look elsewhere first where they might be respected in any agreement.

And it appears free trade with UAE is off for America which I think is good for UAE at the moment.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
I have to agree with Toro and this is what this thread is about.

America claims it loves free trade, therefore because of these actions, nations that have U.S companies wanting to buy into them should look elsewhere first where they might be respected in any agreement.

And it appears free trade with UAE is off for America which I think is good for UAE at the moment.

And I disagree with Toro and with you. Giving up security to just anyone is nonsense. When the Brits were running port security I had no problem with it, if Canadians ran port security I would have no problem with it. Giving port security to a middle eastern company controlled by a middle eastern government is DUMB.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Bush wants to control everything behind closed doors, and relies on a republican controlled congress to rubber stamp his agenda. It finally bit him in the derriere. The deal might well have been the right thing to do but as usual he goes about doing things the wrong way.