EU wants cars to have headlights on even during the day.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yet ANOTHER crazy law brought to us by the idiots in Brussels -

EU plans for car headlights fines
by RAY MASSEY, Daily Mail
7th March 2006

Motorists could be forced to drive with their headlights on at all times under EU plans.

Those who fail to switch on could face fines of up to £60.

EU officials want drivers in all member states to follow those in Scandinavian countries where daytime lights are mandatory.

But British motoring groups have dismissed the idea as ridiculous.

They claim it wastes power, fuel and batteries unnecessarily. And they fear local authorities will seize on it as simply another way to raise revenue from Britain's 30 million drivers.

The European Commission wants its plans to become law by 2010.

Because transport policies do not require a unanimous vote by EU member states, Britain could be forced to adopt the measure, even if it objected.

The proposal follows the introduction of a similar law across several EU countries.

Sweden made daytime lights mandatory in 1977 - which is why Swedish-built Volvos always have their lights on.

Norway, not in the EU, followed in 1980.

Austria is the first west European country outside Scandinavia to make it compulsory for all vehicles to drive at all times and in all places with dipped headlights during the day.

From April 15 this year it will be enforced with a £10 fine.

A similar law comes into force in Croatia and the Czech republic from July.

Italy and Hungary require motorists to drive with lights on outside built-up areas.

In Germany, lights-on driving has been recommended since last year and in Luxembourg from this year.

Study reports 5,500 less fatalities

A study by Dutch researchers found daytime lights could save 5,500 fatalities and 155,000 injuries across Europe.

But the AA Motoring Trust pointed to research from Germany's Federal Highway Research Institute which found dipped headlights increased fuel consumption and exhaust emissions by 3 per cent.

An AA spokesman dismissed the proposal, claiming it 'smacks of nannying'.

He added: 'Motorists will be very upset if they are obliged to fork out yet more money in fines for using lights when commonsense and the Highway Code suggests it is unnecessary.'

The AA favours phasing in lightemitting diode lights - around existing light clusters or on bumpers - on new cars.

It believes this would produce a negligible increase in pollution while increasing vehicles' visibility and reducing accidents.

Andrew Howard, head of road safety for The AA Motoring Trust said: 'We would not support a requirement that cars not fitted with daytime running lights should be required to drive with dipped headlamps on at all times. As well as increasing fuel consumption, lamp bulbs have to be replaced much more frequently.

'It would also produce complaints about dazzle from many road users.'

Tory transport spokesman Chris Grayling feared Brussels was seeking to 'micro-manage' the roads.

'The EU is trying to take a decision that should be taken in Britain,' he said.

'It simply isn't necessary for the EU to decide on every single rule and regulation.' A European Commission spokesman said transport commissioner Jacques Barrot intended to publish legislation requiring car-makers to fit the energy saving LED daytime lights to future models as part of a target of halving fatalities across Europe by 2010.

dailymail.co.uk

---------------------
Study reports 5,500 less fatalities
However, British roads and motorways are already the safest in the world.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
forget the headlights

the eu should make the british drive on the right side of the road

does the eu have to spell everything out for you chaps

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Cortez

My headlights are on 100% of driving time. Recommended by the manufacturer for safety. Backed up by the insurance company
and AAA.

It is a driver/owner's choice however and not an offense for fine.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Most of the cars passing me[while I'm walking] do have their headlights on. Britain: get with the times & start driving the way the rest of the planet does.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Tory transport spokesman Chris Grayling feared Brussels was seeking to 'micro-manage' the roads.

'The EU is trying to take a decision that should be taken in Britain,' he said.

'It simply isn't necessary for the EU to decide on every single rule and regulation.'

-----------------Blackleaf's article-----------------------

All of you who favor world government take note:
Such centralized power will always have
such a tendency to micromanage our lives for our
own safety and convenience.

Bring on conformity !!!

Bring it on in the name of safety and convenience !!

What's so bad about this law ?

And the next one?

It's for your own good.

Common sense.

And it becomes more imperative as we become more
urbanized.

Eventually it will be become common sense for our
own safety and welfare for someone to know where
we were are at any given second WHEN we want to
know and WHEN we want to check on them.

It's called the Buddy System.

Kinda like the Big Brother System.

We the people are the worst threat to any archaic understanding
of privacy --- not the government.

And we the people are the worst threat to any right we have
to make our own decisions under a culture of suggestion
and guidance rather than a culture of fiats, rules, regs.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
We are going backwards in our desire for "perfection"...

Our schools are mockery of education now and yet we blame each other (parents/teachers/administrators/unions and government)...

Children are being jilted of the concept of learning for oneself and taking responsibility while education is being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator and decision-making is a thing of the past.

We now look to governmental action (and monetary collection) for doing what we should recognize as common sense and when it comes to safety - we only seem to act after a tragedy rather than look into the future to see the possible dangers of certain things.

Automobiles are responsible for more deaths than war. Anything - anything we can do to mitigate these kills by auto - too many preventable ones to be termed accidents should be our personal responsiblity - not left up to the government as it is now to have a handbook of do and don't and having to test and license operators of these killing machines....because we just can't seem to get the concept of we are truly our brothers' keepers....rather than road warriors hell bent for trouble, unless nanny government has to show us the way.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You know Wednesday's Child, we got a classic case
of competing virtues:

The right to decide for ourselves
and thus accept personal responsibility vs.
government fiat to enforce safety for us all.

Rather than governmental fiat, I'm sure we will see
inventions that take the multi-tasking decisions of
driving away from us, by making cars that steer themselves, intelligent road signs that communicate
to the car, etcetera.

In the meantime, our drive, so to speak, for perfection
seeks a safe world where danger is minimalized, where
old age and death might be conquered in the sense
of creating 400 year life spans and a kind of need to
know about anything or anyone in a millisecond of
access.

We the people are inevitable micro-managers of everything
we think needs improvement, basing it on our internalized
idea of perfection.

Moreso than the EU constitution or any other governmental
micro-managing nightmare, it will be we the people that makes
privacy an archaic and dimly understood concept.

Future generations might ask why all that fuss in the past about
privacy ??

Why all that fuss on fighting regulations that make us safer ?

Why ?

A question that will be honestly asked by the future, when
they try to understand us of the past.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Who would want to live to be 400 if the government is going to tell you what you can and cannot say, and spoon feed you your entire life?

Maybe that's what they mean by "hell".....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O Speaking of saftey................

Me ol oriental auto's lights go on when she starts up, an she's a "93", so the idea has been around fer awhile. I think its' a good un since cars with their lights on are easier to see, especially white cars in the winter, and green ones in the summer. Don't even mention grey at twilight.

Conversley, I've dang near bought the farm while passing, and then seeing the oncoming driver(?) without the lights on.

Is it a law in Kanader yet eh :?: , don't believe so, but it sure makes sense.

As far as wearing things out prematurely, only replaced the headlight bulbs once, likewise the tailights, one alternator.

BUT, if "THEY" had made it a LAW we would be just as pissed :twisted: as we could be. Nasty politicians :evil: Alldetimeshovinshitdownourtroatseh :!: bydejees :!:

:wink:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
JimMoyer

Great points! My only response is that we must use education not only of the new young, but of all the people capable of comprehension - based upon rational argument, presentation of reliable information and verifiable historical outcomes.

If humanity is to attain its promised "perfection" it must be allowed to start using more than ten percent of what's in the skull, housed in fluids and blood, untouched by knowledge.

Ultimately it involves a change to our birthing canal - or some such evolutionary process for regeneration. Our poor heads are far too big now and are underutilized!

Jay

If you don't want to be 400....I'm gonna miss you fella! :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Don't worry WC, we will see each other in heaven!JimMoyer can come too if he wants!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LOL Jay thanks....

But I know I'm headed down to banshee hell.....

Hopefully there'll be a few Swedish Hockey Players because I know Haggis is gonna be there as well!!!

And yes you and JimM and ITN will probably earn your wings without a bit of trouble....even Toro will make a case for his entrance into that far off nirvana.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Wednesday's Child said:
Toro will make a case for his entrance into that far off nirvana.

Oh he will be there....the New City's roads are laden with gold don't-cha know!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Not to worry OldNugly

It's a cyber crush - and they are as safe as lemon pie!!!

Your wife is a lucky woman she is.... !!

I'm a tease I know. :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm Tigger!